Bitcoin Forum
July 22, 2024, 03:39:34 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Parliament May Charge Gorbachev With “Treason” For Breaking Up USSR  (Read 4007 times)
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:31:15 PM

Actually, Khruschev it's someone like 1960s version of Bush. He was't smart enough for administrative work, but he had enough initial support. Due to his controversal or even foolish decisions (some of those were made against law, including constitution) he became into a subject of many political jokes here.

Unfortunately, we got enough damage before he was forced to retire.

"Idiot president to blame" becomes the popular narrative. As you point out, the idiot isn't smart enough to make policy decisions. But someone was doing it. Question is, were they idiots too?

Probably not - but they might have ended up looking like idiots because, well, their hands were tied.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 07:07:16 PM

In today's world... I wonder if Obama cries at nights for not being able to do anything differently, even if he would have wanted to? Whatever one might think of Putin, it feels like he is in complete control, while thinking about Obama, the word that springs to mind is "scapegoat". In Gorbachev's days, those roles might well have been reversed.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 02:52:05 AM

In today's world... I wonder if Obama cries at nights for not being able to do anything differently, even if he would have wanted to? Whatever one might think of Putin, it feels like he is in complete control, while thinking about Obama, the word that springs to mind is "scapegoat". In Gorbachev's days, those roles might well have been reversed.

I have already posted about this. The election of Obama as the POTUS was a great tragedy to the US. But at the same time, it was a god given gift to the people outside the EU. For sure, he has made some mistakes such as the invasion of Libya, but as compared to Bush and the others in the blood thirsty gang, Obama has proven himself to be a coward and an outright inefficient nincompoop.
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 06:49:34 PM

I have already posted about this. The election of Obama as the POTUS was a great tragedy to the US. But at the same time, it was a god given gift to the people outside the EU. For sure, he has made some mistakes such as the invasion of Libya, but as compared to Bush and the others in the blood thirsty gang, Obama has proven himself to be a coward and an outright inefficient nincompoop.

but at the advantage of the US, less war = more money unless they steal, which we don't know how much they do..

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:04:24 PM

Mikhail Gorbachev is 83 years old.
I hope they leave him alone.

Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:31:53 PM

Most likely, that in case of trial the verdict will be canceled due to age or state of health. Usually it happens when we are not talking about murders, rape, organized crime or any other socially dangerous activity.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:50:49 AM

Mikhail Gorbachev is 83 years old.
I hope they leave him alone.

Why leave him alone? John Demjanjuk was still hunted even after he crossed 90 years of age. Gorbachev did a lot of crimes, which were definitely worse than Demjanjuk.
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:33:42 PM

As a human being I reckon Gorby was an OK sort - I liked him at the time - he had a "kind" sort of face and his wife, likewise, looked lovely. He seemed less likely to want to whip your arse than Brezhnev and his Plotiburo ilk.
    But he was incredibly naive politically. Incredibly. He was every muscovite spiv villains dream - enter the joke that was Yeltsin.

So, I'm sorry to have to say it, but even with your kind eyes and your diplomacy with the western nightmares that were Thatcher and Reagen, you have a LOT to answer for Mr. Gorbachev.

Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 05:36:09 PM

Don't remind us of his wife. In many ways, she was the power behind the throne, and not in a good way.

I agree with your assessment of Gorbachev, though.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: