Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 03:38:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Stabilising my GPU please?  (Read 636 times)
Nutterboy (OP)

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:50:28 AM

So just the other day (about a week ago) I noticed that when I turned my screen on, on my computer the screensaver running had a flicker to it. I thought nothing of it, but it has started over the last 3-4 days to be apparent in chrome, mozilla and hearthstone regardless of whether I am mining or not. It does not affect me when I play League of Legends. It occasionally crashes my entire computer when I try to run certain webpages or when I try to play certain videos. This of course is terrible.

Things I have tried: Enabling/Disabling Crossfire - This just caused extra crashes.
Fiddling around with different clock settings - I have not overclocked this at all btw, just going within various settings.
Enabling/Disabling various things from the about:flags page in chrome - This was when the problem was Chrome only, nothing changed.

My Rig is:
2x XFX 7870's
1x i7 4770 CPU - Hydros v4 cooler.
2x 8GB Corsair Ram
1x 60GB SSD
1x 2TB HDD

Any advice would be very much appreciated!! Even if I have to stop mining permanently thats fine, I have gotten decent ghs on cex.io and khs on scrypt.cc so I'm all good there. I just want my computer back to being stable.
vnvizow

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:42:38 AM

Don't use a PC or laptop rig, when something burns out it can affect other equipment. Mining isn't profitable anyways but if you're mining for the heck of it build an external rig and connect it to a raspberry pi, or just use asic's, your choice
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 05:55:45 AM

Don't use a PC or laptop rig, when something burns out it can affect other equipment. Mining isn't profitable anyways but if you're mining for the heck of it build an external rig and connect it to a raspberry pi, or just use asic's, your choice

I would assume he is mining crypt and not SHA256. Anyway, he allready has a mining rig. Thats like:

A: My Computer does xy, how do I fix it?
B: Install linux!

Its bad advise.

Anyway, I had my GPU problems over the years and all I can say is: it sucks and there is not much you can do.
- You can try to underclock your GPU's while you dont mine, looks like you did this though
- You can also try to disable the 2nd GPU, not sure if you tried this while you check crossfire
- You can try a different approach: maybe its not your GPU. Random crashes usually indicate a problem with your RAM. It is strange though that you dont have Problem with LoL, but usually a System is way to complex to say this runs fine, but those dont. Might be luck that LoL runs Wink To check if its a problem with your RAM, run memtest86+. This might take a while to show an error though, I recommend testing 24h (also see http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions "4.4 How do I test RAM?").
I would bet on a RAM problem tbh. Chrome and Firefox are not very GPU intensive. There might be however a problem with the RAM on those GPUs. There are tools out there to check your GPU memory, but I can not recommend any, because I have not tried any. See here for a start: http://superuser.com/questions/456435/how-can-i-test-my-gpu-memory-ram

Edit: almost forgot the all-time-classic. Try switching to a different GPU if you have an old one somewhere or maybe you can get one from a friend for a day or two. Maybe you have a nice person that would try your GPU.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Nutterboy (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:14:07 AM

I would assume he is mining crypt and not SHA256. Anyway, he allready has a mining rig. Thats like:

Its bad advise.

Anyway, I had my GPU problems over the years and all I can say is: it sucks and there is not much you can do.
- You can try to underclock your GPU's while you dont mine, looks like you did this though
- You can also try to disable the 2nd GPU, not sure if you tried this while you check crossfire
- You can try a different approach: maybe its not your GPU. Random crashes usually indicate a problem with your RAM. It is strange though that you dont have Problem with LoL, but usually a System is way to complex to say this runs fine, but those dont. Might be luck that LoL runs Wink To check if its a problem with your RAM, run memtest86+. This might take a while to show an error though, I recommend testing 24h (also see http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions "4.4 How do I test RAM?").
I would bet on a RAM problem tbh. Chrome and Firefox are not very GPU intensive. There might be however a problem with the RAM on those GPUs. There are tools out there to check your GPU memory, but I can not recommend any, because I have not tried any. See here for a start: http://superuser.com/questions/456435/how-can-i-test-my-gpu-memory-ram

Edit: almost forgot the all-time-classic. Try switching to a different GPU if you have an old one somewhere or maybe you can get one from a friend for a day or two. Maybe you have a nice person that would try your GPU.

My display is currently connected to gpu1 so I will try switching to the other!
And I will have a look at the ram maybe being the issue, I just attributed this error to gpu since it was the display that was being the issue primarily Smiley
vnvizow

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:58:38 AM

Its bad advise.

My display is currently connected to gpu1 so I will try switching to the other!
And I will have a look at the ram maybe being the issue, I just attributed this error to gpu since it was the display that was being the issue primarily Smiley
16GB ram? That's definitely not the problem, but I recommend Kingston
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 07:22:55 AM

-snip-
16GB ram? That's definitely not the problem, but I recommend Kingston

The amount of RAM is never a problem. Had a 32 Gig machine at a lab crashing constantly while installing a fresh linux yesterday. After removing 4 Gigs of it, it worked fine. Took us a while to figure out which of the RAM modules had the problem though.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Nutterboy (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 07:53:04 AM

Seems very possible it was the Graphics card that the monitor was running on. Switched it over and no issues. Will talk to my supplier.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: