Bitcoin Forum
September 02, 2024, 06:19:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange partially unauthorized transaction  (Read 786 times)
anon4250158 (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 11:58:56 AM

So a few days ago I sent 0.02BTC (+ 0.0002tx fee) to 19sTXdsoaQ8wkUNfJ1GMvJTeFHHf8AYuNU.  For some reason, it also sent an additional 0.01BTC to 12LQTNN1p1JNppH3YrdRDjS4iZVhC2Mxyw.  I do not own that address, I've never seen it, and I didn't (willingly) send anything to it.  They are part of the same transaction, but I only sent BTC to the 19sTX... address.  How/why did this happen?

- Wallet software was open for ~20 mins to update blockchain and perform tx
- Wallet is on virtual machine, I'm the only one with access to it
- No recent software downloads or installs on either the host (Win 7 Pro x64) or the virtual machine (Win XP Pro)
- Was running 0.9.0 at the time, now running 0.9.1
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 12:16:10 PM

Most likely you do own that address and your wallet wasn't open long enough for the incoming "change" transaction to confirm. IF you resynch it again now, you will probably see that tx in the log and have those BTC available to you.

Change addresses are generated  from your private keys, and you won't see them as one of your pubkey receiving addresses until they are used for a change transaction.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 12:23:10 PM

Most likely you do own that address and your wallet wasn't open long enough for the incoming "change" transaction to confirm. IF you resynch it again now, you will probably see that tx in the log and have those BTC available to you.

Change addresses are generated  from your private keys, and you won't see them as one of your pubkey receiving addresses until they are used for a change transaction.

oooohhhh

damn, I was confused when my blockchain said 0.06BTC  less then my wallet Cheesy

this explains it Cheesy

anon4250158 (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 01:09:54 PM

I see.  So this change thing is why you don't want dust in your account (that and higher tx fees)?  Good thing that address (now two addresses) is just a "practice" one.

Just checked my wallet- I apparently do own the address because I could dump the privkey, but the transaction doesn't show up, just the one to 19sTX...  The total in the account is what was left after that tx plus the 0.01BTC sent to that change address.
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 01:31:20 PM

yes, good thing we figured it out Smiley

Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:07:08 PM

oooohhhh

damn, I was confused when my blockchain said 0.06BTC  less then my wallet Cheesy

this explains it Cheesy

That's why you shouldn't use Blockchain.info (or any other block explorer website) to check your wallet-balance. Your own wallet-software does this well enough and the info provided by a block explorer website can often confuse a new user.
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:31:46 PM

oooohhhh

this explains it Cheesy

That's why you shouldn't use Blockchain.info (or any other block explorer website) to check your wallet-balance. Your own wallet-software does this well enough and the info provided by a block explorer website can often confuse a new user.

Thanks, I didnt know they didnt do this for you. I`m downloading one of the desktop wallets..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: