Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:33:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pool Ops are now the Alt Currency Police  (Read 13957 times)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1805

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 02:33:34 AM

I explained in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57288.40 how your assumptions about how pools interact with their users are unwarranted and thus your entire cause for complaint moot.

These assumptions, wrong or not, are likely shared by a large
chunk blissfully unaware eligius miners who would probably
walk away from the pool of they knew what is actually happening.

If you can't see why that is a problem, the conversation ends here.
Different people have different opinions of if they give a damn about anyone but themselves.
I'll say clearly I agree with the idea that one should care about the follow-on of one's actions.
I will certainly never mine at Eligius (though I have never before) since I do not think that Luke has the right to do with my hashing power as he pleases and he has done something that I would not wish to be a part of - even if everyone here disagrees - well that's your opinion.
Hiding behind some rule or law for not caring about anyone else is truly the way these days by many and most unfortunate in my opinion.

Of course if deepbit did use some floor in Bitcoin to effectively destroy it, suddenly most people here would be upset about that ...

Many years ago I did some work through a friend without knowing who the client was.
When I received payment I returned it. It was from BATA and I could not in good conscience accept payment from such a company (and proceeded to point out to my friend that I would never do that again! and I would check first who it was Smiley)
I suspect few people here would do the same.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 03:14:41 PM

Luke shows it could put you in legal jeopardy joining a pool. How are you going to claim you didnt know they were going to hack paypal? What is one of these rogue pool ops decides he wants to attack congress over sopa. It is very important to know and trust your pool.

And obviously luke cant be. What baffles me, is he claims to be a christian and yet he betrays the trust of his users with a whim. Ok plenty of scum bag Christians out there, just like in every other group, but luke likes to at least pretend he actually believes and doesnt just wear it on his sleeve. But it turns out he is a self centered little shit, who has his panties shoved so far up his ass, i can see the label sticking out his mouth.

mooo for rent
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 03:21:31 PM

Luke shows it could put you in legal jeopardy joining a pool. How are you going to claim you didnt know they were going to hack paypal? What is one of these rogue pool ops decides he wants to attack congress over sopa. It is very important to know and trust your pool.

How can a hash be used to hack Paypal?

The miners didn't give the pool op access to run custom code on their systems/GPUs.

You do realize that the miners simply provided hashes.  Period.  Nothing more, nothing less.
It would be like saying the electrical company could be liable because they supplied the electricity.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:05:16 PM

How can a hash be used to hack Paypal?

The miners didn't give the pool op access to run custom code on their systems/GPUs.

You do realize that the miners simply provided hashes.  Period.  Nothing more, nothing less.
It would be like saying the electrical company could be liable because they supplied the electricity.

Facts. They are not needed in this thread.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:43:22 PM

Fact:  When I sign up with a pool to me (and many others) there is a relationship with the pool op, one in which I provide my hash rate and computing power to be pooled in an effort to find the coin(s) I want to mine.  Not using my computing power for any other purpose, particularly shady side attacking.  With that said some may like this but their are a lot of douches in the world...

The statement you made is false. You don't understand mining. You do not provide your computer as a platform that others can run their code on.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
bitclown

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:37:05 PM

I would love to hear (or read) from a miner at Eligius pool and how THEY feel about having their hashing power used for something they didn't consent to or agree with ?
Luke can print out my hashes and use it as toilet paper if he want as long as he sticks to his fair reward scheme and pays in virgin generation txs. It's just random numbers.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 09:58:46 PM

I would love to hear (or read) from a miner at Eligius pool and how THEY feel about having their hashing power used for something they didn't consent to or agree with ?

I'm thrilled luke-jr did this. Alt currencies (with the exception of maybe Litecoin) are scum.

The end.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1805

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 10:34:33 PM

I'm thrilled luke-jr did this. Alt currencies (with the exception of maybe Litecoin) are scum.

The end.
LOL ... with the exception of ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2012, 08:52:11 AM

Fact:  When I sign up with a pool to me (and many others) there is a relationship with the pool op, one in which I provide my hash rate and computing power to be pooled in an effort to find the coin(s) I want to mine.  Not using my computing power for any other purpose, particularly shady side attacking.  With that said some may like this but their are a lot of douches in the world...

The statement you made is false. You don't understand mining. You do not provide your computer as a platform that others can run their code on.

He didn't say the pool op has access to the miners' computers to do nefarious things with. In a technical sense, miners *only* provide hashes to the pool, nothing more.  In a moral sense, there is an unwritten agreement as to what those hashes will be used for.  Namely, to mine BTC and possibly NMC. If the pool op uses those hashes for other purposes and without the miners' consent, it's morally iffy to wrong.

If he was simply purchasing hashes for a fixed price, to use as he wanted it would be a different moral situation than a cooperative where hundreds of people pool their resources and split the profit.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: