Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:41:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Amazing Acts Of Defiance Throughout History  (Read 5975 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:08:42 AM

Here is another. Meriam Yahya Ibrahim Ishag sentenced to death by stoning, for refusing to convert to Islam. Her husband is an American citizen, but there has been no help from the United States authorities so far.

I was curious what country:
"A Sudanese court has sentenced Mariam Yahya Ibrahim Ishag, 27..."
Sudan? Wow, I will be certain to stay away from there.

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:28:55 AM

Sudan is the shit-hole of the world. The country is currently in the middle of the third civil war, after the first and second claimed millions of civilian lives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Sudanese_Civil_War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sudanese_Civil_War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan_internal_conflict_(2011%E2%80%93present)

And don't forget the Darfur conflict.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Darfur
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 09:10:58 AM

Here is another. Meriam Yahya Ibrahim Ishag sentenced to death by stoning, for refusing to convert to Islam. Her husband is an American citizen, but there has been no help from the United States authorities so far.

OK, I agree that this is a bad situation but just what is it that you think the USA should do?

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:45:53 AM

OK, I agree that this is a bad situation but just what is it that you think the USA should do?

For the start, Obama could open up his mouth and condemn the death sentence imposed on the unfortunate woman. We can think about sanctions and embargoes later, if the Sudanese ignore the warnings.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:25:22 PM

For the start, Obama could open up his mouth and condemn the death sentence imposed on the unfortunate woman. We can think about sanctions and embargoes later, if the Sudanese ignore the warnings.
I don't know what we can do about this. It is not our country or our laws. It makes me sick, but we in the west only recently stopped killing people for religious beliefs. Besides, who are we to talk about what God wants? Maybe this is what God wants, maybe God hates all Christians?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 02:41:13 AM

I mean, like, who would want to go there anyway?

Corporations For Crypto
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:48:48 AM

I kinda agree on this, Im sure there is so much Obama can handle the problem is the whole government not one person is fighting for this mans right, nor any other country.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 04:13:10 AM

People urgently needing to leave Egypt or Chad would have a motivation to try Sudan.
Is it a place you would like?
Variety is the spice of life, but too much spice can cause digestive issues.

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 04:33:05 AM

People urgently needing to leave Egypt or Chad would have a motivation to try Sudan.

No shit!

Thank you for your insightful post!

Corporations For Crypto
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:34:13 PM

Makes sense. But in this case Mariam Yahia Ibrahim Ishag was a Sudanese citizen, although she is of partial-Ethiopian origin. Her mother was also a Sudanese citizen, a descendant of immigrants from Ethiopia.
KonstantinosM

Activity: 1493
Merit: 763

Life is a taxable event

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:46:14 PM

The Greek States VS the Persian Empire in thermopylae

20,000 men against 300,000.... And they won.

The Greeks lost 4k men the Persians lost 20k.

2nd failed invasion in a row by Persia.

What makes this an act of defiance is that Leonidas started marching with only 300 hoplites and then others joined him to form the army of 14-20k that defeated the Persians.

If no one had joined him he would have picked a battle nearly 1 vs 1000

That would only make sense if he had invented the AK-47 2200 years in advance and each solider had 34 magazines of ammo and were really, really, really good shots.

Syscoin has the best of Bitcoin and Ethereum in one place, it's merge mined with Bitcoin so it is plugged into Bitcoin's ecosystem and takes full advantage of it's POW while rewarding Bitcoin miners with Syscoin
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:17:56 PM

The Greeks were only about 7000, maybe 7700, from several cities, so the act of defiance was even greater. But they didn't win, many of them were massacred after 3 days of heroic struggle, fighting to the last men (not only the 300 Spartans).

Things didn't end there. Xerxes and the Persian army managed to burn Athens and only after the naval battle of Salamis were defeated. Well, actually, after that, Athens was again conquered by the Persians under Mardonius. Only with the battle of Plataea (479 BC) they were expelled from Greece.

Yes, I like military and political history.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:24:12 PM

Life is short. Do what you can. Hope for the best.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:03:00 PM

Things didn't end there. Xerxes and the Persian army managed to burn Athens and only after the naval battle of Salamis were defeated. Well, actually, after that, Athens was again conquered by the Persians under Mardonius. Only with the battle of Plataea (479 BC) they were expelled from Greece.

The Battle of Plataea is considered as the final major battle during the Persian invasion of Greece. It forms a part of the Persian invasion. So we can say that the Greeks actually defeated the Persians and repelled the invasion. Battle of Plataea was very devastating for the Persians... they lost more than 250,000 men.
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:07:56 PM

The Battle of Plataea is considered as the final major battle during the Persian invasion of Greece. It forms a part of the Persian invasion. So we can say that the Greeks actually defeated the Persians and repelled the invasion. Battle of Plataea was very devastating for the Persians... they lost more than 250,000 men.

That is exciting but horrific. Will mankind ever learn how to avoid brutal wars?

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 07:16:42 PM

That is exciting but horrific. Will mankind ever learn how to avoid brutal wars?

I doubt it.

Humankind is an agressive, territorial and highly combative species.

Corporations For Crypto
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:20:12 PM

Well.. the Persians invaded the Greeks and the Greeks fought back to expel the invaders. How can we blame the Greeks for defending their homeland? As long as there are loonies who want to invade the weaker nations, we will witness similar wars.
Trading
Legendary

Activity: 1455
Merit: 1033

Nothing like healthy scepticism and hard evidence

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:28:59 PM

The problem is that the Greeks didn't stop there and, commanded by the Macedonians (I'm not going to enter the fight on the issue of the autonomy of ancient Macedonia from Greece), did to the Persian what they did to them: in 334, invaded them, burnt their capital and conquered their Empire.

The Rock Trading Exchange forges its order books with bots, uses them to scam customers and is trying to appropriate 35000 euro from a forum member https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4975753.0
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:30:33 PM

Well.. the Persians invaded the Greeks and the Greeks fought back to expel the invaders. How can we blame the Greeks for defending their homeland? As long as there are loonies who want to invade the weaker nations, we will witness similar wars.

History is amazing but also very dark since it often tells us what to expect in the future.

I doubt it.

Humankind is an agressive, territorial and highly combative species.

Well, if enough people learn to change & teach their children, then there might be some hope.
We need HOPE and CHANGE.....Oops.......Those once useful words are now tainted.
Bitcoin: = Change you can actually believe in.

Hey, maybe someday BTC will be viewed as a "great act of defiance"....?
On the brink of economic collapse, we have taken a stand against the evil paper money system.

acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:38:47 PM

As a side note about "tank man". That image is almost completely unknown in China. That is how clamped down the government is there.

Think about it as 'changing history'. Forty-five years from now, It'll be completely unknown. And it's basically that, right now, with China's censorship. They're not exactly clamped down, they're 'controlling' their people.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: