Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:21:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Bitcoin storage solution? "Share It!"  (Read 3633 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:51:45 AM

For cold storage I use electrum.  Deterministic seed is memorized and wallet deleted.  (But I have a watch only version)

MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:14:49 AM

Here is my cold storage procedure - fairly solid as near as I can tell...

Creating and loading the wallet -

1) Save to your hard drive the bitaddress.org URL for generating BIP-38 encrypted paper wallets.
2) Create a LINUX LiveCD for booting from a flash drive for a fresh, offline OS.
3) Disconnect computer from the internet, boot into LiveCD, and generate an encrypted paper wallet via the bitaddress.ord URL (running standalone). DON'T LOSE YOUR PASSWORD!
4) Save the wallet off as a PDF and also print multiple copies. Since it's encrypted, you can have a few copies and keep them multiple places and the PDF will also be available if the paper fades or is destroyed.
5) Reboot regular OS and head out to the exchange.
7) Send your bitcoin to the public key of your paper wallet, starting with a small amount and confirming it got there via blockchain.info.

Getting bitcoin back out of the wallet -

1) Using the block chain website or app on an android tablet, scan the encrypted private key of the paper wallet (I could also use the bitaddress.org code offline to decrypt it manually).
2) The app/site will ask for the key you used to BIP-38 encrypt the private key - type in the password used to encrypt it and the wallet's bitcoin will be accessable to send/spend.
3) Sweep the wallet into your blockchain online wallet. (Important since you must spend all coin in a paper wallet at once or risk losing the "change".)
4) Send any bitcoin that you don't want to keep in a hot wallet into a new paper wallet, created in the same way you created the first one. You can create multiple paper wallets at once above, so you can create a bunch at once and just move your change to the next paper wallet in the list.
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:48:30 AM

I think if someone is thinking to use a laptop/notebook as a cold storage - Pi-Wallet is better much better solution Smiley
It depends on how cold you want it. I considered Pi, but to do anything with it I'd need to hook it up to keyboard and screen, which wouldn't be convenient for me.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:10:27 PM

+200 character passphrase for brain wallet..

Took a couple of weeks before I was SURE i could remember it. Then boom. No USB keys, no files, no stress.

cheers.

Life is Code.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 02:58:01 PM

Took a couple of weeks before I was SURE i could remember it. Then boom. No USB keys, no files, no stress.

cheers.

I have a story - I had an login ID to my bank account. I remembered it for 8 years.
I never wrote it down, it was about 12 digit number.
And suddenly after 8 years I want to type it and login - puff - I do not remember ... and I was in need to contact bank support etc.

this is what I think about brain wallets Smiley
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:02:32 PM

cheers.

I have a story - I had an login ID to my bank account. I remembered it for 8 years.
And suddenly after 8 years I want to type it and login - puff - I do not remember ... and I was in need to contact bank support etc.

Yep.  Can happen.  As a backup, you can split your brain wallet in two or more pieces and store in different offsite locations or give to 2 different trusted parties.

jparsley

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:29:59 PM

I use blockchain.info, i only access from secure mobile browser

please unban me.
grtthegreat
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 03:41:51 PM

I keep my private keys on my USB drive only. I don't have any other backup of them.
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:14:46 PM

cheers.

I'll take my chances.

Did try the whole 'some-file some-where' backed-up, etc etc .. but it just stressed me out, far more.

Life is Code.
bitsire

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:28:03 PM

I've always found that the easiest way is to use a dedicated machine (such as an old laptop) for your Bitcoin storage wallet.

This laptop should definitely be running Linux and be kept offline until you need to send any of your Bitcoin funds.

As an extra safety measure, I rename the wallet file to something nondescript and bury it somewhere on the filesystem. I keep a dummy wallet visible in case someone did manage to hack in or if I was forced to open my client at gunpoint or something.

It blows my mind when I hear stories of someone losing Bitcoins because their main storage wallet was on their daily use Windoze machine.
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 04:28:55 PM

I'll take my chances.

Did try the whole 'some-file some-where' backed-up, etc etc .. but it just stressed me out, far more.

I believe it is stressful while you have a lot of BTC Smiley

I am in a "happy" position that I earn and spend BTC I do not hodl.
So I do not feel the pressure Smiley

But I am 100% sure when I will get few BTC and I will hodl them - I will hammer them on a piece of iron. Smiley
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:35:57 PM

Web wallets are so insecure, never use them as main client. Would you keep your lifesavings in your wallet that you could easily be pick pocketed from.

There is a risk while your money are kept on a server in some company.
Hundreds ways to lost it.

But so far blockchain.info is "safe" to use if you remember about all security steps like good password etc.
Anyway.

Brainwallet safest Smiley but not perfect Smiley

Please don't spread misinformation and confuse new users.
roslinpl
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 04:54:30 PM

Web wallets are so insecure, never use them as main client. Would you keep your lifesavings in your wallet that you could easily be pick pocketed from.

There is a risk while your money are kept on a server in some company.
Hundreds ways to lost it.

But so far blockchain.info is "safe" to use if you remember about all security steps like good password etc.
Anyway.

Brainwallet safest Smiley but not perfect Smiley

Please don't spread misinformation and confuse new users.

Do you mean about what I wrote about brain wallets or blockchain.info?

Ok - to be 100% precise

"blockchain.info is "probably safe" " IF you will not get hacked or they do not get hacked.

"Brainwallet safest Smiley but not perfect Smiley " - of you have a brain of a genius or at least VERY good memory....

I am sorry for spreading misinformation and confuse new users. I hope now it sounds better.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:40:01 PM

I've always found that the easiest way is to use a dedicated machine (such as an old laptop) for your Bitcoin storage wallet.

This laptop should definitely be running Linux and be kept offline until you need to send any of your Bitcoin funds.

Isn't it safer still to NEVER put that machine online ever again?  (Instead sign the transaction offline and import it)

Bitcoin Cat

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 06:57:55 PM

I have:

*A few Casascius coins
*Bitcoin QT with low balance for receiving mining rewards
*Some change in my phone to pay things outside the house
*A very secret storage for investments
hobbes

Activity: 128
Merit: 107

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:39:35 PM

With my minimalistic Offbit private keys stay ultra cold: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=488915.0 Never any contact with online systems.

Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 10:58:09 PM

I committed my cold storage private key to memory and destroyed all other copies.

If I understand correctly you memorized a string of fifty characters in base58, which is for practical mnemonic purposes completely random, and you don't have a backup.  That's something like 290 bits of information.  How often do you rehearse it, and when you rehearse it do you regenerate the address anew, check it to verify that you didn't have a memory fault?

Yeah.  Basically 52 random base58 characters.  No backup.

I rehearsed it every day for the first 2 weeks but reduced the frequency and these days am comfortable rehearsing about once per month.  I checked again following your post and managed with no hesitation (not as fluently as when I enter my e-mail password, but fairly solid).

I check it with a dedicated computer.  I just check that the private key is valid (the checksum is ok) and that it generates the correct address.

I've had this address for nearly a year now.  I transferred the balance from my last cold storage address, for which I also memorised the private key.  I just tried to recall this old key and was surprised to find that I succeeded, although I'll admit I blanked a couple of times and it took me about 2 minutes to recall in full.

I couldn't recommend this method to anyone, but it serves my purposes well.

Impressive.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:49:04 AM

Many posters use an offline computer for cold storage.
I would like to offer a tip for acquiring a dedicated offline machine with minimum cost and hassle.

1. Go on craigslist and look for a cheap used laptop.  If you're patient, you may be able to find one in the $50-$100 range.  Make sure it has a USB port so you can copy files and programs with a thumb drive.

2. Permanently disable both the Ethernet cable port as well as the wifi.  Simply turning this off in windows may not work and may not be safe.  The best way I found to permanently revoke internet access is by deleting the associated driver files from the machine.  To determine the location of the files, first determine what version of windows it has, then perform a google search. For example "where are driver files located on windows 7".  Make sure you're deleting the right driver files though, because you could brick your computer if you delete the wrong ones.  Only delete the drivers for the internet connection! You can save a backup copy of any files you delete, just in case. 

3. Enjoy your offline computer!

BlockchainHelp? (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:54:05 AM

Many posters use an offline computer for cold storage.
I would like to offer a tip for acquiring a dedicated offline machine with minimum cost and hassle.

1. Go on craigslist and look for a cheap used laptop.  If you're patient, you may be able to find one in the $50-$100 range.  Make sure it has a USB port so you can copy files and programs with a thumb drive.

2. Permanently disable both the Ethernet cable port as well as the wifi.  Simply turning this off in windows may not work and may not be safe.  The best way I found to permanently revoke internet access is by deleting the associated driver files from the machine.  To determine the location of the files, first determine what version of windows it has, then perform a google search. For example "where are driver files located on windows 7".  Make sure you're deleting the right driver files though, because you could brick your computer if you delete the wrong ones.  Only delete the drivers for the internet connection! You can save a backup copy of any files you delete, just in case. 

3. Enjoy your offline computer!

You can always just remove the wireless card.
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:38:59 AM

?? Why doing this. If you machine is offline all the time besides the moment you actually send BTC to the exchange, how is your wallet going to be compromised?

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: