Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:46:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am trying to understand why this forum has public Tor nodes blocked.  (Read 1604 times)
EndTheBanks (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 03:47:45 PM

Some friends and I have tried to register with our regular connections with Tor-based switches but they were blocked. No matter, we got some fresh Tor bridges that aren't on the public listings.

Why is this forum requiring that extra step? You're blocking a major part of your audience with this.

The abuse argument doesn't pan out considering a true abuser knows that public Tor listings are a no-go anyways. They'll go through the trouble of getting fresh bridges like we did.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 04:27:44 PM

Some friends and I have tried to register with our regular connections with Tor-based switches but they were blocked. No matter, we got some fresh Tor bridges that aren't on the public listings.

Why is this forum requiring that extra step? You're blocking a major part of your audience with this.

The abuse argument doesn't pan out considering a true abuser knows that public Tor listings are a no-go anyways. They'll go through the trouble of getting fresh bridges like we did.

A major part of the audience? I hardly think so.
Blocking TOR and/or anonymizing proxies is usually done in order to prevent circumventing IP bans.
That being said, I'd prefer such obstacles to be lifted.
EndTheBanks (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 04:34:38 PM

A major part of the audience? I hardly think so.
Blocking TOR and/or anonymizing proxies is usually done in order to prevent circumventing IP bans.
That being said, I'd prefer such obstacles to be lifted.
You guys IP ban here? L O L

The idea that IPs equal human beings in this day and age is hilarious. I've ran a lot of forums back in the day and I'm proud to say most of my communities had the intelligence not to be encumbered by such things.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 04:38:08 PM

Please learn to read. I told you why such approach is USUALLY taken. It's an admin's 101.
I'm not a staff member here.
I do agree there are far better ways of handling the small subset of unruly users.
EndTheBanks (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 04:40:48 PM

Please learn to read. I told you why such approach is USUALLY taken. It's an admin's 101.
I'm not a staff member here.
I do agree there are far better ways of handling the small subset of unruly users.

Ah, I see. Well, thanks.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:14:02 PM

Lololol, did i hear IP BAN?

IP BAN is so much fail. Never heard about DYNAMIC IP? You restart your router and get a new ip, ta dah! And guess what, the old ip end up being used by ANOTHER person. And he will find himself banned  Cheesy Cheesy Double the fail, double the lulz.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:35:38 PM

It's to prevent people from evading IP bans. IP bans are effective at making ban evasion more difficult.

They'll go through the trouble of getting fresh bridges like we did.
Using bridges doesn't help you evade the proxy ban. Bridges are only used as entry nodes. All exit nodes are publicly known. It would be technically possible to download the list of every exit node and completely block Tor, though I have not bothered to do this yet.

Already many major proxies are banned. Obviously they all can't all be banned, but eventually it will be really hard to register using a proxy.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 05:43:55 PM

As far as i know fixed IP is commong like only in usa

IP bans are effective at making ban evasion more difficult
With dynamic ip, ip bans are effective at annoying innocent users that end up using a banned ip.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 08:11:52 AM

As far as i know fixed IP is commong like only in usa

IP bans are effective at making ban evasion more difficult
With dynamic ip, ip bans are effective at annoying innocent users that end up using a banned ip.

Yep, I'm in Australia and have used at least 5 different ISPs and have always had dynamic IPs.  

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: