Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:59:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the Sidechain innovation kill all Altcoins?  (Read 21131 times)
KingSchultz

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:14:48 PM

Sidechains are FANTASTIC for the development of Bitcoin, but I think it's a lot of hype that they will swiftly and suddenly kill all alts. Would they kill a lot of alts? Maybe. But that's already happening anyway IMO. Consolidation of the strong this summer. And sidechains do nothing to alts not based on the Bitcoin protocol, which is one thing I can see the alt market evolving towards fairly soon.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:43:38 PM

This means that members of the DOGE community (or other niche-based coin communities) really have to ask themselves: are we in this because of our like for the Shiba Inu meme and our belief in currency debasement?  Do we really believe that we can build a real and lasting economy around the shibe?

For those that understand the joke, Shiba Inu becomes a symbol of community. It's not just the meme, but the feeling of participating in community and sharing its values, which in the case of Doge have more to do with copious tipping and helping each other out than "debasing the currency".

I think we are saying the same thing YarkoL.  This is what I meant when I said:

I think coins that don't offer any technical improvements over bitcoin, but instead strongly appeal to subsets of the community, may be unaffected by side-chains and spin-offs.  Take DOGE for instance.  DOGE is not technically innovative, but instead derives its market cap from its usefulness to its like-minded community.

I have a soft-spot for the DOGE community.  r/dogecoin is filled with generous happy and mostly honest people that are trying to do a very good thing.  I think they would bring tremendous value to bitcoin. 

What is yet to be seen is how much of the DOGE community is actually committed to building a DOGE economy even if bitcoin appreciates in price at a faster rate on average.  To me it just doesn't make sense and shibes will start to come to the same conclusion.  Why not build a sub-community within bitcoin that has a shiba-inu element? 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
jparsley

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 11:30:34 AM

Whats a sidechain where can i get info on it.

please unban me.
jparsley

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 05:30:23 PM

Sidechains are interesting still need more knowledge on their functioning but the Adam back article was helpful
Innovation without risking the system itself (Make a test bed of sorts with other coins)
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/adam-back-sidechains-can-replace-altcoins-bitcoin-2-0-platforms/2014/04/10
nice thanks

please unban me.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 07:32:28 PM

I took the time to read more about sidechains.
Will the Sidechain innovation kill all Altcoins?
No
Sidechains will not literally kill off all alt coins.
Hopefully, they will help accelerate the end days of some really bad alts.

defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 07:46:23 PM

side chains are nothing more than alts that are only given out to BTC owners, will never take off once people understand clearly what they are.

Alt supporters will never adopt them. They serve to preserve wealth only for BTC whales.

I agree that is exactly what they are, although ALT values are currently determined by BTC holders there is still that off chance that they could break free. With sidechains they will forever be a BTC slave.

Just my 2 FRK

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 07:47:53 PM

But on the other hand, the sidechain technology can be adopted by any alt much like the metachains.

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:56:57 AM

Sidechains are interesting still need more knowledge on their functioning but the Adam back article was helpful
Innovation without risking the system itself (Make a test bed of sorts with other coins)
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/adam-back-sidechains-can-replace-altcoins-bitcoin-2-0-platforms/2014/04/10
nice thanks

Nice someone read the thread Smiley
Glad it helped you out

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Chillin_with_beer

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 09:23:28 AM

The only people who want altcoins gone are big holders of bitcoin Tongue
There's a crypto currency landscape now, and there will be several psychological limits to the value of bitcoin. I think that when such a limit is reached some major altcoins will suddenly rise in value and stay there, like litecoin went from $2 to $10, and peercoin went from $0.40 to $2.50
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: