Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:32:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: xkcd's bitcoin hole  (Read 21847 times)
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 05:37:28 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2012, 07:10:50 PM by mizerydearia

<Randall> here's how far I'll go: if anyone types this URL, they can see a black hole into which they can deposit bitcoins: http://xkcd.com/bitcoin/

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1Lg2rvxbBPC8jp2YJoV5xL7sdyTjueMUot
updated: http://blockexplorer.com/address/14FHqYSgAi39CEJksUJJsK8JzJzyqFpLVk

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 05:44:14 AM

Donated 5BTC. Let's all do it. :-)

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 05:56:14 AM

You know Randall?! Sweet!

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 06:32:50 AM

Donated 5BTC. Let's all do it. :-)
Sent mine. This is great! All the right people are starting to accept bitcoin donations.
cuddlefish

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 06:43:34 AM

Donated my entire 0.05 bit-cents!

The more we donate, the more likely he is to add Bitcoin purchasing at the XKCD store... let's do it!

Also, for people with IRC, there is a XKCD bitcoin discussion channel: irc.foonetic.net, #xkcd-bitcoin
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 08:21:49 AM

A few more quotes from about four hours ago:

<Randall> We don't have donations of any kind, actually.  I mean, there are prints you can buy, and you can pay more if you want.
<Randall> I only learned about bitcoins a month or so ago.
<Randall> I don't solicit donations on my website, and I have avoided soliciting donations through various systems where I hadn't decided to actively promote those systems (i.e. flattr and bitcoin).
<Randall> Like, a lot of people contact me and are like "can you sign up for $PROJECT and we'll get a button on your page and people can donate to you!" and I feel like the main effect of my doing that would be promoting $PROJECT.
<Randall> Which isn't really something I do on solicitation, if only because the  moment I did, I'd be flooded with more solicitations.
<Randall> And email is hard Sad
<Randall> here's how far I'll go: if anyone types this URL, they can see a black hole into which they can deposit bitcoins: http://xkcd.com/bitcoin/
<Randall> it'll be interesting to see if anyone stumbles on it.
<Randall> I am probably legally obligated to let you know that I am not a charity and will probably be spending the money on extremely unwise things (i.e. gin)
<Randall> Hooray!  I have some bitcoins now.
<ThomasV_> if you can convince some gin seller to accept bitcoins without converting them to usd, you'll be a hero
<Randall> and then the bitcoin community will collapse into drunken brawls

Also, thanks to cuddlefish for mentioning the XKCD mining pool, which led to Randall setting up the very simplistic webpage.

<Randall> it'll be interesting to see if anyone stumbles on it.

Let's contniue to show our support and help to express our appreciation for Randall's amazingly amazing comics and help to convince him to better adopt Bitcoin!
divergenta

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 09:04:50 AM

Great! I I love xkcd and donated 0.5 BTC. I will donate more when I become more wealthier!
mpkomara

Activity: 183

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 09:16:32 AM

i donated a little too.  hopefully randall carries through with his gin purchase and makes it known.  any gin merchants out there?
NghtRppr

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 09:29:45 AM

I donated 5 BTC just because I've always been into XKCD but am not interested in crappy swag.

Looking on the XKCD forums, the first reply to the bitcoin thread made me chuckle.

One problem may be that it was not created by an economist, i.e. it was created by someone who doesn't really understand what a central bank does, or that a loan from a (non-government) bank is actually something useful, even though it means that money is being created.

I agree that someone doesn't understand what a central bank does but it isn't the creator of bitcoin. A central bank counterfeits money, which is a form of theft since it's making the dollars in our pockets worth less which hurts the poorest worst of all. It's just plain evil. As for bank loans, no, fractional reserve banking is a form of fraud. It says that two people own the same money which isn't possible though it works as long as nobody wants their money at the same time. As soon as a bank run occurs though, you're screwed. Of course, the answer to that is to just print more monopoly money, which of course is the exact same thing as taking money from out of our pockets. Let's not even get started on the constant bubbles being created thanks to distorting the markets through artificially low interest rates. Who would have thought that interest rates aren't arbitrary and actually have some sort of role to play and that you can't just force them to remain low without consequences, much like minimum wage laws have consequences for forcing wages to remain artificially high, namely, more unemployment for unskilled laborers.
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 09:38:56 AM

Great job, I love XKCD :-)

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 10:06:46 AM

You see inflation is good because without it no one would have incentive to produce centralized failure-prone easily-monopolized technologies that they can then sell to central banks hurf durf.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 10:16:50 AM

Funny comic... sent my 2.99 coins.

I wonder if he'll mention bitcoin in an actual comic at some point Smiley

srb123

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 11:31:56 AM

I donated 5 BTC just because I've always been into XKCD but am not interested in crappy swag.

Looking on the XKCD forums, the first reply to the bitcoin thread made me chuckle.

One problem may be that it was not created by an economist, i.e. it was created by someone who doesn't really understand what a central bank does, or that a loan from a (non-government) bank is actually something useful, even though it means that money is being created.

I agree that someone doesn't understand what a central bank does but it isn't the creator of bitcoin. A central bank counterfeits money, which is a form of theft since it's making the dollars in our pockets worth less which hurts the poorest worst of all. It's just plain evil. As for bank loans, no, fractional reserve banking is a form of fraud. It says that two people own the same money which isn't possible though it works as long as nobody wants their money at the same time. As soon as a bank run occurs though, you're screwed. Of course, the answer to that is to just print more monopoly money, which of course is the exact same thing as taking money from out of our pockets. Let's not even get started on the constant bubbles being created thanks to distorting the markets through artificially low interest rates. Who would have thought that interest rates aren't arbitrary and actually have some sort of role to play and that you can't just force them to remain low without consequences, much like minimum wage laws have consequences for forcing wages to remain artificially high, namely, more unemployment for unskilled laborers.

Whoa, big tangent. Good point, well made, but it's been made a 100 times, and you're preaching to the choir on this board.

Anyways, you are distracting people from how awesome XKCD is, and that is NOT ON!

Wink
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 12:08:28 PM

My favourite comic is the cryptonerd one.
My favourite non comic is the explanation of radiation doses.
Awsome.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2011, 12:09:21 PM

Did anyone point out this site to him? He has well over 150 BTC worth of pledges. Not exactly enough to retire on, sure, but it's decent money for a few hours' labor setting up an Mt Gox account and a Bitcoin checkout.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 12:16:15 PM

Did anyone point out this site to him?

[Offtopic] Funny typo on that site: Awesome (Window Manger)

Cusipzzz

Activity: 334
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 11, 2011, 02:48:54 PM

sent a few coins, xkcd is amazing.
bitcredit

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2011, 04:21:50 AM

A central bank counterfeits money, which is a form of theft since it's making the dollars in our pockets worth less which hurts the poorest worst of all.

Poor people have debt, the real value of which is reduced by inflation.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 05:28:40 AM

A central bank counterfeits money, which is a form of theft since it's making the dollars in our pockets worth less which hurts the poorest worst of all.

Poor people have debt, the real value of which is reduced by inflation.

That is true to a point, however interest on that dept is almost always higher than inflation so...

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2011, 06:12:56 AM

xkcd waycool!

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: