Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:20:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do altcoin investments drop the BTC/USD price?  (Read 723 times)
jdun (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 05:19:46 AM

I realize this is a big concern in the cryptocurrency world. A lot of people want to see all the altcoins wiped off the face of the earth because they think it hampers their bitcoin retirement account. But does it really? I've been pondering this lately. If, for example, there is a massive surge to buy dogecoin again (selling bitcoin, of course), does that really drop the BTC/USD price? I'm having trouble seeing how it would. In my mind, it should ONLY affect the BTC/DOGE price, and not the BTC/USD price. On the one hand, sell BTC for DOGE would mean there are more bitcoins available to buy, but those available bitcoins are all bought by people selling DOGE right? Therefore, the buy/sell orders at the BTC/USD exchanges are not affected by people buying DOGE, and thus the BTC price remains the same. Am I wrong in my thinking?

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62
ParsnipCommander

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 05:22:08 AM

I realize this is a big concern in the cryptocurrency world. A lot of people want to see all the altcoins wiped off the face of the earth because they think it hampers their bitcoin retirement account. But does it really? I've been pondering this lately. If, for example, there is a massive surge to buy dogecoin again (selling bitcoin, of course), does that really drop the BTC/USD price? I'm having trouble seeing how it would. In my mind, it should ONLY affect the BTC/DOGE price, and not the BTC/USD price. On the one hand, sell BTC for DOGE would mean there are more bitcoins available to buy, but those available bitcoins are all bought by people selling DOGE right? Therefore, the buy/sell orders at the BTC/USD exchanges are not affected by people buying DOGE, and thus the BTC price remains the same. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Highly highly unlikely I think: https://coinmarketcap.com/index.html

Check out the capitalization of the other coins... a dent compared to the 5+ billion in BTC.

Maybe the better question is in the future will they drop the BTC price perhaps?
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 05:24:08 AM

Altcoins increase the BTC price because bitcoins are being held by altcoin traders for the purposes of bidding on altcoin exchanges. The media attention and hype from altcoins also brings more new players into the crypto market in general.

The only bad part is the fear that one of these altcoins might eventually get a market cap so large that it steals a noticeable amount of market cap from bitcoin, or replaces bitcoin altogether.  But in the current state of affairs there is no such problem.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 06:21:33 AM

I realize this is a big concern in the cryptocurrency world. A lot of people want to see all the altcoins wiped off the face of the earth because they think it hampers their bitcoin retirement account. But does it really?...

Alts probably help much more than they hurt.
Recently BTC has been "destroying" the alts. People wanting to get out of BTC >> Dump all alts >>> sell BTC.

BitOnyx

Activity: 112

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 10:54:34 AM

I can't see it right now so hard to expect it would be in future.

Also right now only few altcoins maters.

nostradamus

Activity: 65

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 11:04:53 AM

No. All innovation and experimentation in cryptocurrency is good for us all, and the more roads into crypto, the better for Bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: