Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:51:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miners work together to keep the difficulty low  (Read 2339 times)
Bobcat (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 07:57:46 PM

I have been monitor the difficulty for the past few weeks thru allchains.info and I noticed that the dif change base on the total GH on the btc network

Two week ago: total btc GH ~7000+ and the the est next dif about  -5%
Last week: total btc GH ~ 8000 and the est next dif about  +2%
This week: total btc GH ~10000+ and the est next dif about  +26%  which is about 1464931.53474

As you can see the more GH in the network increase the more dif will increase till the next cycle in (1d 20hr). So I am thinking if miners stop mining an hour or two before the the next cycle start, it will drop the GH that and the dif will drop and remain for another 10 day till the next cycle start again, Once the dif drop and miner can start mine again.

I dont know how the calculation work of the dif change, but so far base on what i have seen if we can maintain the GH around 7000-8000 before the dif change cycle then the dif should stay around 1 milllion.

What do you guys think ?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeepBit
Donator

Activity: 532
Merit: 501

We have cookies

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2012, 08:02:48 PM

So I am thinking if miners stop mining an hour or two before the the next cycle start, it will drop the GH that and the dif will drop and remain for another 10 day till the next cycle start again, Once the dif drop and miner can start mine again.
I wonder why so many people think of this method.
1. No, miner's won't stop mining.
2. An hour or two won't make difference because measurement window is 2 weeks.

Welcome to my bitcoin mining pool: https://deepbit.net ~ 3600 GH/s, Both payment schemes, instant payout, no invalid blocks !
Coming soon: ICBIT Trading platform
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 08:21:36 PM

Even assuming you could get all miners to agree (which you can't) why would I want to lose 1 hour of revenue?
Even if it cost me nothing I wouldn't try and halt all economic activity for a couple hours.

I dont know how the calculation work of the dif change, but so far base on what i have seen if we can maintain the GH around 7000-8000 before the dif change cycle then the dif should stay around 1 milllion.

Difficulty change is based on the how long it took to complete the last 2016 blocks.  On average it will take 20,160 minutes or 336 hours.  If it takes less then difficulty rises by the amount necessary to increase time to 20,160 minutes.  If it takes more time then difficulty falls by the amount necessary to reduce time to 20,160 minutes.
Bobcat (OP)

Activity: 50

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 08:40:25 PM

Even assuming you could get all miners to agree (which you can't) why would I want to lose 1 hour of revenue?
Even if it cost me nothing I wouldn't try and halt all economic activity for a couple hours.

Difficulty change is based on the how long it took to complete the last 2016 blocks.  On average it will take 20,160 minutes or 336 hours.  If it takes less then difficulty rises by the amount necessary to increase time to 20,160 minutes.  If it takes more time then difficulty falls by the amount necessary to reduce time to 20,160 minutes.

Yes your explaination make sense.
Obviously, I not clear how the dif calculation work, I thought when the dif change it looks at the current network hash rate then do its calculation.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 08:50:24 PM

Difficulty change is based on the how long it took to complete the last 2016 blocks.  On average it will take 20,160 minutes or 336 hours.  If it takes less then difficulty rises by the amount necessary to increase time to 20,160 minutes.  If it takes more time then difficulty falls by the amount necessary to reduce time to 20,160 minutes.

Yes your explaination make sense.
Obviously, I not clear how the dif calculation work, I thought when the dif change it looks at the current network hash rate then do its calculation.

Yeah you got to watch those online difficulty estimators.  They are simply guestimating what the difficulty will be based on historical hashrate and projecting out current hashrate.  Also remember hashrate is not known.  Estimators are using prior block times to make an estimate of the hashrate.  So if the network gets "lucky" and solves 5 blocks 10% quicker than normal the estimators will think the network has a 10% higher hashrate.

I have found this estimator (namecoin & bitcoin) to be one of the best.
http://dot-bit.org/tools/nextDifficulty.php

Looks like it is predicting a 8% rise in difficulty to ~1.25M
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8411

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2012, 02:37:56 AM

What do you guys think ?

The difficulty algorithm is linear (well, except for the clamps at 1/4 and 4x). Assuming constant mining power, this means speedup next cycle plus the slowdown on the cycle after it would only match the work not done on this cycle. You come out the same.  And someone defecting from the voluntary slowdown would make more (they'd still get the benefit of whatever shift the slowdown did achieve, plus they'd mine during the 'down' time).

sharky112065

Activity: 383
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2012, 06:58:45 AM

I have been monitor the difficulty for the past few weeks thru allchains.info and I noticed that the dif change base on the total GH on the btc network

Two week ago: total btc GH ~7000+ and the the est next dif about  -5%
Last week: total btc GH ~ 8000 and the est next dif about  +2%
This week: total btc GH ~10000+ and the est next dif about  +26%  which is about 1464931.53474

As you can see the more GH in the network increase the more dif will increase till the next cycle in (1d 20hr). So I am thinking if miners stop mining an hour or two before the the next cycle start, it will drop the GH that and the dif will drop and remain for another 10 day till the next cycle start again, Once the dif drop and miner can start mine again.

What do you guys think ?

The difficulty increase will not be +26%. Allchains.info was reset so, the displayed increase will not be what we will see when it actually increases.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
Costia

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 10:48:02 PM

What do you guys think ?

The difficulty algorithm is linear (well, except for the clamps at 1/4 and 4x). Assuming constant mining power, this means speedup next cycle plus the slowdown on the cycle after it would only match the work not done on this cycle. You come out the same.  And someone defecting from the voluntary slowdown would make more (they'd still get the benefit of whatever shift the slowdown did achieve, plus they'd mine during the 'down' time).

but you can hop chain blocks and make money mining an alt coin while waiting for the bitcoin difficulty to drop for 2 weeks
the main problem is coordination between miners - but if a few of the largest pools unite they might actually be able to do that
But i am still not sure if its profitable
if the hashrate drops to 1THash/sec for 2 weeks, will the difficulty drop by a factor of the for the whole next 2 weeks? i.e. will a block will be generated every minute for 2 weeks if a day after the difficulty change the hashrate jumps to 10Thash/s? (meaning a step function is not linear)
Costia

View Profile
January 21, 2012, 11:48:38 PM

What I was/am missing is the formula that says how the next target is calculated.
I tried the wiki but didnt find it Sad
did you take the calculation from the source code?
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2012, 06:10:24 AM
Last edit: January 22, 2012, 07:01:55 AM by Meni Rosenfeld

What I was/am missing is the formula that says how the next target is calculated.
I tried the wiki but didnt find it Sad
did you take the calculation from the source code?
N = New difficulty (at block 2016N)
O = Old difficulty
T2 = timestamp of block 2016N - 1
T1 = timestamp of block 2016N - 2016
N = O * (2 weeks) / (T2-T1)

Of course, in actuality the calculation is based on target, new target = old * (T2-T1) / (2 weeks) and the difficulty derives from it. I didn't see the code for this but I'm guessing first an integer division by 1209600 (seconds in two weeks) is done and then the multiplication. There's also the [1/4, 4] limit.

There's actually a bug in this calculation, it should have used T1 = timestamp of block 2016N - 2017, and this bug makes possible a form of attack. But at this point it is considered not worth correcting it.

It's supposed to be explained at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Difficulty#What_network_hash_rate_results_in_a_given_difficulty.3F but maybe it's not very explicit. Also see http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/855/what-keeps-the-average-block-time-at-10-minutes.

EDIT: Here's the relevant piece of code (from main.cpp). It appears the bignum used can handle doing the multiplication first and then division:
Code:
static const int64 nTargetTimespan = 14 * 24 * 60 * 60; // two weeks
static const int64 nTargetSpacing = 10 * 60;
static const int64 nInterval = nTargetTimespan / nTargetSpacing;

// Go back by what we want to be 14 days worth of blocks
    const CBlockIndex* pindexFirst = pindexLast;
    for (int i = 0; pindexFirst && i < nInterval-1; i++)
        pindexFirst = pindexFirst->pprev;
    assert(pindexFirst);

// Limit adjustment step
    int64 nActualTimespan = pindexLast->GetBlockTime() - pindexFirst->GetBlockTime();
    printf(" nActualTimespan = %"PRI64d" before bounds\n", nActualTimespan);
    if (nActualTimespan < nTargetTimespan/4)
        nActualTimespan = nTargetTimespan/4;
    if (nActualTimespan > nTargetTimespan*4)
        nActualTimespan = nTargetTimespan*4;

// Retarget
    CBigNum bnNew;
    bnNew.SetCompact(pindexLast->nBits);
    bnNew *= nActualTimespan;
    bnNew /= nTargetTimespan;

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Costia

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 06:34:32 AM

thanks.
so this is impossible
the decay is much slower than the rising of the difficulty

I cant think of an attack that can exploit the -2016 instead of -2017, its just a 1 block index
since the actual rate is random there always might be shared blocks in 2 adjacent 2 week estimates
there are way more than 2017 blocks - so no negative numbers\overflows
If an attack wanted to delay a block it wont matter much either
I would actually move it 120 blocks back to -121 and -2137 - so only confirmed blocks are used
only thing is if the total hashrate is constant - the difficulty will slowly drift up(?)
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 02:50:38 PM

I'd like to see difficulty drop again soon unless someone can help me reach above 400MHash/s on my HD6950 to eek out the most performance out of it (probably best to direct me to a thread that covers this already).

I think that we should work together to force difficulty to drop again when the trends show rises in difficulty.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 05:25:33 PM

I'd like to see difficulty drop again soon unless someone can help me reach above 400MHash/s on my HD6950 to eek out the most performance out of it (probably best to direct me to a thread that covers this already).

I think that we should work together to force difficulty to drop again when the trends show rises in difficulty.

There is no working together.  We all share the same pie.  If you drop out well that is a bigger slice for me. Smiley

Gimmicks and half baked ideas of "cheating" the protocol don't address the reality that mining is a zero sum competitive game.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2012, 05:34:43 PM

There is no working together.  We all share the same pie.  If you drop out well that is a bigger slice for me. Smiley

Gimmicks and half baked ideas of "cheating" the protocol don't address the reality that mining is a zero sum competitive game.
I don't know why I didn't mention this earlier given the topic of the OP. But the attack that involves the off-by-one bug in the difficulty adjustment is one where someone with >50% of the hashrate can mess with the timestamps to artificially decrease the difficulty, so instead of generating the total prescribed 7200 BTC per day, they are generated much more rapidly. So if all miners collude, they can game the system to increase the pie.

But you wouldn't do that, right? Smiley

See also ArtForz's original post about the attack and this StackExchange question.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2012, 05:50:40 PM

400 MHash? You're going to kill your card. I've got 6 of them, and the max I went was 380 MHash before I was afraid of blowing it up.

The only way to drop it is to quit the market. If you find a way to convince miners who invested thousand of dollars in mining equipment to quit the market, go for it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: