Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 04:49:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Votecoin (VOT)  (Read 2676 times)
supermoose (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 01:03:54 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2014, 08:38:51 PM by supermoose

Project Votecoin is an open source effort to develop a secure, anonymous electronic voting system. We apply technology used in cryptocurrencies to both secure the network and ensure voting will remain free of charge. The Project is designed to be implemented over three distinct phases, with the ultimate goal of creating “democratic cryptocracy”, a secure online method of governance giving all participants a voice.

We overcome one of the greatest challenges we face by giving coins a practical application beyond use only as currency. The Project is an evolution from cryptocurrenies; we employ a decentralised network of miners help secure the anonymity of the voting network and protect it from attack, and a financial incentive to securing the network is built in to the system.

This open source project is being implemented in three phases.

The first phase establishes the financial incentive for network security by developing “Coin” as a stable cryptocurrency with a dedicated network of miners. Coin is intended to be used as a currency only, and is distributed to the miners who keep our network safe. The second phase develops the voting infrastructure by issuing a unit of “Vote” with each new wallet created. Within Votecoin software, Votes are units used to express preferences of users and are divisible. The third phase will bring in user verification to ensure an equal distribution of Votes to users of the system. We aim to implement a decentralised method of anonymous verification in this phase.

Phase 1: Votecoin developed as a stable cryptocurrency with a dedicated team of miners.

Both Coin and Vote transactions will be stored in the same blockchain, and Coin miners will be protecting the stability of “Cryptovoters”, users of Votes. We first aim for Coin to be adopted by as many users as possible, and to give it a high profile. Increasing the value of Coin is necessary at this stage to incentivise mining, thereby securing our network. A rise in price has been demonstrated to lead to an increase in network mining difficulty, which makes it harder for network security to be compromised. Encouraging more people to use and mine Coin avoids the concentration of mining power and wealth in the hands of a few. Project Votecoin uses the scrypt algorithm for network security in order to let anybody with a computer processor or graphics card to join in and mine. The most effective way to secure the network through incentivising mining at this stage is to encourage use of Coin as a currency by such activities as lobbying exchanges to introduce Coin trading.

Phase 2: A voting unit, Vote, issued with each Vote address created by users. Both Coin and Vote transactions will be recorded and distinguishable in the same blockchain. Integral to this stage is the ability to recall Votes to the user's original address.

Once the Votecoin network has been secured, we will introduce the beta version of Vote and experiment with voting mechanisms. One Vote will be issued to each address created during this trial period, and users will be free to create these addresses. Unlike Coin transactions, each user's Vote will be used to express opinions on an issue through sending a defined unit to an address. These Vote addresses are similar to options on a ballot paper. However, rather than a central governing body creating ballot papers in a restricted vote, users are free to create as many options as they wish. We encourage creation of applications and websites to display the contents of Vote addresses in the blockchain, facilitate expression of user opinions, and support the democratic process through encouraging anonymous dialogue.

Project Votecoin contains elements of direct democracy, where a user may vote directly on an issue. This will give credence to the option or opinion associated with the address Votes are sent to. It also allows for representative democracy; a user may send their Vote to another user and delegate them to act in their interests. As any user may transfer their Vote to another user, aspects similar to an election campaign will exist to encourage users to delegate their Vote to a representative.

Votes, unlike cryptocurrencies or traditional votes, will be easily recalled by the user. The recall function allows a voter to change their mind and use their Vote differently as they see fit. A user who changes their mind about an issue may also immediately recall the Vote and vote differently on it. Additionally, a user who disagrees with the voting record of a delegate may immediately recall the Vote sent to them. Democratic cryptocracy therefore contains a much more flexible voting system than any currently used by a government.

Phase 3: User verification to ensure one user one Vote.

There are several options to verify Votecoin users, and most necessitate abandoning anonymity. While we encourage the development of voting networks, anonymity is crucial to the project and we always aim to protect users from revealing their voting records publicly. In addition, verifying users through methods ranging from fingerprinting to linking with social media accounts entrusts power in institutions not within the network, exposing us to risk.

Instead, Project Votecoin is intended to implement anonymous user verification through subconscious learning. It has been proven that our brains can remember codes of up to 30 characters in length without ever consciously knowing them (Bojinov et al., 2012). We can apply this method to memorising cryptkeys used to access Vote addresses. This approach would issue each user with a unique key code to unlock and access their Vote which they will never consciously know. Each user would learn the key through a process unique to each Vote address, and input the key code without consciously remembering it.

Research is currently being conducted by a team of volunteers. The Project Votecoin Research Fund has been established to support research into subconscious user verification through grants to individuals or institutions conducting research into relevant areas. Profits made by the Project Votecoin team are donated to the fund. We are grateful for donations of any size to the Research Fund, which may be sent to the addresses below:

BTC: 161PKgQLwfEYvmZFWtbHx1rGssAz6cpnKa

LTC: LfaHx3WqVTjm69WTvhT8TZW3fSFCDRGjJS

Bojinov et al., Neuroscience Meets Cryptography: Designing Crypto Primitives Secure Against Rubber Hose Attacks, Usenix 2012, stable URL:
http://bojinov.org/professional/usenixsec2012-rubberhose.pdf

http://i57.tinypic.com/2i74521.png

http://votecoin.weebly.com/

Votecoin is currently in development.

Block target: 60 seconds
Coins per block: 1337
Block rate halves every 31337 blocks

Phase 2 will see "Vote" and "Coin" introduced in the same blockchain. The blockchain currently contains Coin only.
yadan86

Activity: 596
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 02:51:50 PM

a good idea  Cheesy
supermoose (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 08:41:29 PM

Update: Votecoin is still in development. Phase 1 is expected to be released within the coming weeks.
lobbes

Activity: 240
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:47:52 PM

I've been pondering the potential use of cryptocurrency as a democratic system for a bit now.

This is really interesting! I'll definitely be following closely.

lobbes

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 02:34:05 AM

Can you provide any more information on your background? Who is involved with this project and what experience does everyone have? After looking at your website, there doesn't appear to be much information.

Also, I encourage you create a user GPG key in the OTC web of trust, especially if you are going to be soliciting funds.

We are grateful for donations of any size to the Research Fund, which may be sent to the addresses below

Looking forward to the next update.

gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 01:35:26 AM

Don't hold your breath.

The 2011 foundational work was basically a preliminary exploration by researchers not entirely familiar with the methods of experimental psychology. The write-up was informal, failed to describe the method in enough detail to support independent reproduction, wasn't published in a peer-reviewed journal relevant to the domain of study and the work hasn't been pursued any further by the main researcher. I'm not sure of its pertinence to the project other than the spurious media interest it generated at the time.

Cheers,

Graham
lobbes

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:50:58 AM

Ah, thanks for the background info. I was not aware that the paper referenced wasn't even peer-reviewed.

After looking at OP's website, I was a little skeptical; a good chunk of the front page is dedicated to peddling for donations. There's also no contact info to be found.

Just another scam, it would seem. Back to pondering quietly for me.

Don't hold your breath.

The 2011 foundational work was basically a preliminary exploration by researchers not entirely familiar with the methods of experimental psychology. The write-up was informal, failed to describe the method in enough detail to support independent reproduction, wasn't published in a peer-reviewed journal relevant to the domain of study and the work hasn't been pursued any further by the main researcher. I'm not sure of its pertinence to the project other than the spurious media interest it generated at the time.

Cheers,

Graham
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #3a5GDAy8xq03EIzW

bumface

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2014, 03:14:44 PM

Interesting idea!

supermoose (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2014, 01:58:23 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2016, 09:55:44 AM by supermoose

Don't hold your breath.

Cheers,

Graham

Hi all,

Apologies for the delayed response and thank you for your interest.

Unfortunately I shelved the project. I don't have the capacity to take this on on my own in any reasonable timeframe and the coder pulled out.

lobbes - It seems voting is really taking off now. TalkCoin (which had dev troubles) seems to have done well implementing a chat system which could be used as an element of a voting system. The NuBits devs have incorporated a voting system too, which I recommend looking into here: nubits.com/nushares/voting-mechanics

Graham, you're right about the lack of peer review. To clarify, I had no connections to the study and was suggesting it as a possible way to verify that at least the user is human in a decentralised system.

Verification of voters is perhaps the biggest challenge in implementing a decentralised voting system which people can put their faith in. Any other ideas are welcome.

Hope this clears things up! Cheesy
getwo

Activity: 26

View Profile
December 31, 2017, 06:19:48 AM

Here is the link and a picture of the new site from votecoin.

https://votecoin.site

https://i.imgur.com/xeRGXFa.jpg

but you will see the image in the post first if i had become a jr.member as i can remember.  So till then. :-)
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2017, 09:18:28 AM

Here is the link and a picture of the new site for an entirely different votecoin.

FTFY.

Cheers

Graham
getwo

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:10:47 AM

Here is the link and a picture of the new site for an entirely different votecoin.

FTFY.

Cheers

Graham

If that is true then i have to say sorry for the wrong info. I wrote bit-z about that but an answer still stands out.  Its because they used VOT as their initials. that made me thinking that this dev-team or one member of them finally found an adoption on the bit-z site. Maybe as an interim solution to fund the ongoing development (the useridentificationpart).

I still hope it finds a way to break through. Such a true votecoin is and would be a very useful thing for real democratic and honest votes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: