Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:47:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren't AMD, Intel, Nvidia, etc. interested in ASICs?  (Read 2517 times)
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:32:45 PM

Why doesn't Toyota make TV's? Because they make cars.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ymer

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:26:37 PM

Why? because AMD already sells all the GPUs for scrypt mining... why would they develop an ASIC?
BirdCoinV2

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:33:14 PM

They've probably got some group in their vast orgs working on it just in case. I bet for both sha256 and scrypt. They'll never let on though. Big companies usually have people working on all sorts of stuff in secret that outsiders never hear about. Some of these pan out. Most are discarded.

For example we now know that Nokia was working an Android version for years. They have now released it. Google's famous floating datacenter has been outed. Stuff like that.

That's probably true, they have the knowledge and infrastructure so building a machine with chips doing simple calculations fast isn't that hard for them. Only thing is they have to make money from it and right now they might just wait and see if the bitcoin and other markets grow.

When btc is back in the $1000's don't be surprised to see a powered by INTEL SHA-256 machine mining away at .5PHs

tzortz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:31:46 PM

Sounds like science fiction.

Cool

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
LAMarcellus

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:16:45 PM

Also the OP suggests they have the 1 resources, 2 ability to design, and 3 infrastructure to create an ASIC chip or finished product. That's seems like a far fetched assumption to me.

Just my 2 satoshis.

You're kidding, aren't you? All 3 of those companies have 1, 2, and 3. I'd say it's an uncertain market, that's definitely 1 reason the majors don't get involved. Also market size. AMD and nVidia might have a little interest, if they were sure the market would last a few years. Intel would consider the market way too small, even if they could have 100% of both sha256 & sCrypt sales. They probably make way more on just their LAN chipsets.

ASICs will be the realm of small, fly-by-night companies for quite some time. Notice how quick the prices drop? What successful company wants that?

That was just an after-thought, an "also"...
I don't know these companies assets and specific capabilities.
However these companies don't survive by standing still. Like a shark they must constantly be innovating and adapting. This I do know. A chance missed to serve a customer is less money for them. And since when are corporations not about their bottom line?
In their R&D departments, (if they have them) they are actively researching this very topic, (if they have the technical knowledge in house) and the top level executives are making funds available (if they don't think it's a ponzi).......

There's a reason they aren't trying to make money here. I suggested they missed the boat but are looking at how to get involved.
Or they are lacking 1 resources, 2 ability to design, and 3 infrastructure. All broad terms.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. – Albert Camus
vnvizow

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:34:31 AM

They've probably got some group in their vast orgs working on it just in case. I bet for both sha256 and scrypt. They'll never let on though. Big companies usually have people working on all sorts of stuff in secret that outsiders never hear about. Some of these pan out. Most are discarded.

For example we now know that Nokia was working an Android version for years. They have now released it. Google's famous floating datacenter has been outed. Stuff like that.

That's probably true, they have the knowledge and infrastructure so building a machine with chips doing simple calculations fast isn't that hard for them. Only thing is they have to make money from it and right now they might just wait and see if the bitcoin and other markets grow.

When btc is back in the $1000's don't be surprised to see a powered by INTEL SHA-256 machine mining away at .5PHs
0.5 Petahash? damn how high will the difficulty reach by then?  Tongue
precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 05:33:58 PM

It makes gamers feel excludeded, as no gamer wants to buy a r9 270 for $200 or however overpriced the higher end cards. During that time Nvidia was making a killinggggg. Also market is too small, and those brands make video cards, which just happen to be good at hashing.

Bagus23

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

Love Cryptocoin ~

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 06:25:25 PM

Market too tiny.

Why chase less than 1 billion revenue when you pretty much own 90% of all CPU market worth 10s of billions.

agreed with this.

they dont give anything for this market, because they already got something bigger.  Grin

:3
tzortz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:30:29 PM

0.5 Petahash? damn how high will the difficulty reach by then?  Tongue

I wonder how an ant s1 would stand next to an INTEL SHA-256 0.5PHs....   Grin

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: