Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:02:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing emailCoinFilter  (Read 1106 times)
emailCoinFilter (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:25:08 PM

I am excited to announce emailCoinFilter, a new system using cryptocurrency to help filter spam from your inbox. Differentiating between junk email and desired email has always been a challenge. With emailCoinFilter you can set an coin amount for people to reach your inbox. And similarly if you want to ensure your email gets to others inbox you can attach a transaction of cryptocurrency. You can also add emails to a white list which will not require their email to have cryptocurrency and you can add to a black list which will always send the email to the bulk mail folder. If you find after a while that you are still getting too many emails to your inbox, you can always raise the amount of coin required. With this, you are the recipient of the postage in the email. Over time you may collect enough postage to pay for your time you spent reading messages in your inbox.

I imagine most people will not want to send much coin with an email, and most coins have anti-dust fees in place.  I have chosen Dogecoin network for sending and receiving coin.

Keep in mind this is Beta code.  I have tested it, however I would not use an account with a lot of coin in it.

Try it out at https://github.com/emailCoinFilter/emailCoinFilter
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:27:53 PM

Why is this a chrome extension this should really be a SMTP server.
emailCoinFilter (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:34:25 PM

I should have mentioned that it is a Thunderbird plugin
crunchynut

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:37:39 PM

how will you know that a recipient has this special feature running and you are required to get some doge first before sending?

◯ ◯ ◯ ◯

>>>>>> LAUNCHED: RAPECOIN - YOU CAN'T SAY NO TO THIS COIN <<<<<<

◯ ◯ ◯ ◯
emailCoinFilter (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:42:21 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2014, 10:37:02 PM by emailCoinFilter

The plugin sends a reply to people that are not in a white list (people that do not need to send coin).  Since the default amount is a fraction of a cent, I can imagine that most would just attach coin to every email. This initial plugin is to see if people think this is worthwhile. Future development could include an email gateway or email service that has this filter built in. And yes you need the Dogecoin client running with a rpc user and password.
emailCoinFilter (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:13:26 AM

To encourage more people to try out the add-on in Thunderbird I will send dogecoin to anyone who sends me an email to emailCoinFilter@gmail.com.  You will get an auto-response saying it went to my bulk mail folder, but I will be checking that too.
alecsalecs

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 05:01:55 PM

I had this exact idea and want to pursuit it.
what is the status and feedback you got for your project?
is it still live? did you try to make it a browser extension for gmail?
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 07:32:55 PM

Did you get this idea from Gems?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

alecsalecs

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 11:41:12 PM

me? no. actually I was reading the satoshi's email from 2008 and conbined the info with a post of Paul Gram.

but how would Gems work for this?
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 12:26:41 AM

me? no. actually I was reading the satoshi's email from 2008 and conbined the info with a post of Paul Gram.

but how would Gems work for this?

Okay, thanks. The Gems team came up with a similar economic model: namely, you should be paid for your attention. Details here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=758004.0

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

alecsalecs

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 01:50:59 AM

thank you.
I read about gems but did no research.
the difference is : not to build a IM app, but just to create a filter for the smtp protocol, to be used for regular email.
emailCoinFilter (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 01:17:10 AM

I have not received much feedback on this, so I have not developed this further.  I may pick it back up soon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: