Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:01:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PULL request #748 : Pay-to-script-hash (OP_EVAL replacement)  (Read 12686 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:51:27 PM

I run two kinds of nodes, a bitcoind node and a phoenix-miner node. Which one, or both, of these nodes needs to be updated to support P2SH?
Just he bitcoind node.
Very few miners still run bitcoind nodes. So all you need to do is get the top 2 or 3 pool operators to switch to the new code and you've secured the 55%. Are any of the pools on board so far?

Buy & Hold
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 06:58:59 PM

I run two kinds of nodes, a bitcoind node and a phoenix-miner node. Which one, or both, of these nodes needs to be updated to support P2SH?
Just he bitcoind node.
Very few miners still run bitcoind nodes. So all you need to do is get the top 2 or 3 pool operators to switch to the new code and you've secured the 55%. Are any of the pools on board so far?
Thankfully, the majority of big pools are opposing BIP16.

finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2012, 11:39:32 PM

Just he bitcoind node.

I dout that!  Dont' spread FUD.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 01:19:57 AM

Just he bitcoind node.

I dout that!  Dont' spread FUD.

Just by grepping the blk0001.dat file, I see 4 votes for, and 8 votes against.  I'm pretty sure that means that Luke is still against it, one person is for it, and the entire rest of the mining world is uncommitted.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 01:56:37 AM

Just by grepping the blk0001.dat file, I see 4 votes for, and 8 votes against.  I'm pretty sure that means that Luke is still against it, one person is for it, and the entire rest of the mining world is uncommitted.
Just wondering, where do you see any votes for BIP16? I see 602 votes for BIP12/OP_EVAL, 8 against BIP16, and 4 for BIP17/CHV. But I was commenting on verbal discussions with other poolops.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 02:10:41 AM

Just wondering, where do you see any votes for BIP16? I see 602 votes for BIP12/OP_EVAL, 8 against BIP16, and 4 for BIP17/CHV. But I was commenting on verbal discussions with other poolops.

I'm guessing from the fact he said this, but: in the blk0001.dat file.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 02:29:34 AM

Yeah, that's where I got that. There is no "/P2SH/" in blk0001.dat...

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 02:39:36 AM

Yeah, that's where I got that. There is no "/P2SH/" in blk0001.dat...

I looked... you're right.  Perhaps he just looked for P2SH and saw your NOP2SH spam.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 02:44:56 AM

Yeah, I just grepped out p2sh and saw 8 NOP2SH and 4 p2sh.  If the 4 strings I found are actually for BIP17 instead of BIP16, it doesn't change my conclusion in the least.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
chrisrico

Activity: 496

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 03:07:33 AM

Here's what I see:

Code:
$ strings .bitcoin/blk0001.dat | grep -i p2sh
NOP2SH
NOP2SH
NOP2SH
NOP2SH
NOP2SH;p2sh/CHV
NOP2SH;p2sh/CHV
NOP2SH;p2sh/CHV
NOP2SH
p2sh/CHV

What's with those "NOP2SH;p2sh/CHV"?
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 03:16:24 AM

What's with those "NOP2SH;p2sh/CHV"?
Voting against BIP16 (which uses "/P2SH/") and for BIP17 (CHV).

Code:
strings ~/.bitcoin/blk0001.dat|grep '\/P2SH\/\|NOP2SH\|OP_EVAL\|p2sh/CHV'|tr ';' '\n'|sort|uniq -c|sort -n

piuk
expert

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 11:14:40 AM

http://blockchain.info/p2sh

select count(*) from blocks where coinbase like '%/P2SH/%'

select count(*) from blocks where coinbase like '%NOP2SH%'

finway

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 11:29:47 AM

http://blockchain.info/p2sh

select count(*) from blocks where coinbase like '%/P2SH/%'

select count(*) from blocks where coinbase like '%NOP2SH%'

Can you make a pool list for P2SH and NOP2SH,
I guess miners should know what their pools are voting for.

I know Eligius support NOP2SH, and i leave that pool.

DiThi

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 1dithi

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 12:58:17 PM

If a redeeming P2SH transaction (or any transaction for that matter) is validated by the network (and I know it hasn't been spent yet), do I need to keep the "in" part of the tx or can I scrap it out? If I understand the protocol, I can left it out; in that case I fully support P2SH as the space savings in the future will be HUGE.

1DiThiTXZpNmmoGF2dTfSku3EWGsWHCjwt
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 01:41:33 PM

If a redeeming P2SH transaction (or any transaction for that matter) is validated by the network (and I know it hasn't been spent yet), do I need to keep the "in" part of the tx or can I scrap it out? If I understand the protocol, I can left it out; in that case I fully support P2SH as the space savings in the future will be HUGE.

Well...  If you validate it yourself, and can be pretty sure that your database won't get corrupted or attacked, you could toss it, maybe.  I would need to read the chaining rules again to be sure.  But I would be very reluctant to prune that aggressively, even if the blockchain growth somehow manages to severely outpace the size growth of cheap hard drives.

Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 03:21:56 PM

Once transactions are validated and buried "deep enough" in the blockchain you can forget their inputs, because the inputs are only needed for validation.

... although SOMEBODY on the network should remember them, in case I-don't-trust-anybody nodes want to validate the entire blockchain.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
DiThi

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 1dithi

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 06:36:21 PM

Once transactions are validated and buried "deep enough" in the blockchain you can forget their inputs, because the inputs are only needed for validation.

... although SOMEBODY on the network should remember them, in case I-don't-trust-anybody nodes want to validate the entire blockchain.

That's exactly what I thought.

1DiThiTXZpNmmoGF2dTfSku3EWGsWHCjwt
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2012, 07:04:25 PM

This is one of the things I find very cool about bitcoin.  You can have a kind of rolling history.  Only a relatively small number of nodes will need to retain the full history (though more than one just in case some bad fate befalls it).  And this is sufficient since anyone at any time could download and verify that entire history from the beginning.  All the other nodes just maintain an in motion picture of the network, allowing ancient history to expire off the back end.

Another related thought that I've had is that transactions with more outputs than inputs should somehow cost more since they increase the overall number of transactions that nodes need to retain for verification purposes (and transactions that have a fewer number of outputs than inputs decrease the number of transactions that the network needs to retain).

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 20, 2012, 07:14:46 PM

Another related thought that I've had is that transactions with more outputs than inputs should somehow cost more since they increase the overall number of transactions that nodes need to retain for verification purposes (and transactions that have a fewer number of outputs than inputs decrease the number of transactions that the network needs to retain).

Be careful with such artificial transaction fees, because it's not really the number of transactions that a given transaction begets that is the problem, but the total bandwidth consumption and computational demand upon the network.  In the near term, a single transaction with numerous outputs is more efficient most of the time.  This is because, with a transaction fee that is higher simply because of the actual demands of resources, a send-to-many transaction is less burdensome in the short term, and the longer term results of future transactions are unpredictable.  As an example, it would generally be vastly less resource intensive for a large corporation to use send-to-many transaction for weekly payroll then to produce a standard two-output transaction for each employee.  In either case, however, what the employees do with those transactions next are not dependant upon how they are paid.  Such large send-to-many transactions take up a lot of space and bandwidth, but remain relatively efficient if compared to the space and bandwidth that those same outputs would have produced individually.  We can assume that the send-to-many transactions will have a much longer 'lifespan' in the blockchain before they can be pruned, but we can also assume that some percentage of the individual transaction would have lasted as long.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
piuk
expert

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2012, 12:09:40 AM

Can a pool operator please mine a block containing a P2SH transaction on main net and redeem it. I'd like to a do some P2SH preperation, but don't have Testnet setup.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: