Bitcoin Forum
August 15, 2024, 06:32:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my setup going to work?  (Read 716 times)
tkozlowski (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:02:27 AM

I am probably going to be using these parts to build my mining rig. I just want to be sure I connect everything properly (from the PSU(s)).

My Part List:

Intel Core i3-4130T 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor
ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
[3x] MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card
TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter
[3x] Masscool FD12025B1H3/4 81.0 CFM 120mm Fan (1 per video card for cooling)
Crate(s) for the case
Power Button
[3x] PCIe x1 to PCIe x16 Risers [http://www.ebay.com/itm/271373085981] (Each come with a sata to molex adapter for extra power to each video card using a sata connector on the PSU)
Molex to 6 fans adapter [http://www.amazon.com/Phobya-4-Pin-3-Pin-Splitter-Connection/dp/B007S3T4O0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top] (so I can attach fans for cooling my video cards)

I do plan to upgrade my rig eventually by adding more R9 270's. Also I ask for suggestions about power supply wattages. I am going to get only 80+ Gold or 80+ Platinum certified power supplies.

PSU 1:
ATX 24 pin to 24 pin connector on motherboard
8 pin CPU power to 8 pin connector on motherboard
1 molex connector to each molex connector on the motherboard
1 sata power connector to the hard drive
1 PCIe power connector to each video card (6 pin)
1 sata connector to each sata to molex adapter for each PCIe riser

PSU 2: (when I upgrade)
ATX 24 pin connector to an adapter connected to the motherboard. Probably this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Vantacor-Dual-Adapter-Cable-2-way/dp/B00DL3L2J6
1 PCIe power connector to each new video card (6 pin)
1 sata connector to each sata to molex adapter for each new PCIe riser (assuming that I use the same risers)

I read about some people who used 2 PSUs with the ASRock H81 Pro BTC and fried it. I don't want the same to happen to me. Does this setup look correct?

Note: Please don't ask me anything like "Why are you mining with graphics cards?" or "Bitcoin mining isn't efficient with GPUs any more". I am aware that ASICs are necessary for Bitcoin mining now. I will be mining Dogecoin, not Bitcoin. Also please tell me about any suggestions you may have that would improve my build without significantly increasing price.
laflaflaf

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:40:54 AM

This is a very good attempt Grin

TheSmurfsCoin:Tn5HRXnMmbVQoDjsz3rgSZwZwQyz5JNXr2
ShareCoin:SfE8LN2MLVV5XHmKLizjZonAHYPMFS1muN
FootballCoin:Fe6JUNh9j9CB5pagUxWwifoSsNyLeU3md5
dumbdragon

Activity: 588
Merit: 354

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:55:16 AM

Why not?  Smiley

Nutterboy

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:21:56 AM

Didn't look up the motherboard but I assume it has enough pci lanes for the cards. The only thing to be careful with is your PSU's I was watching a guide a few months back, and you need to use some cap on the 24pin of the second one, and link them so they turn on simultaneous and stuff like that. I can't really help you with that but the set up should work.

But yeah just keep that in mind with the second PSU when you get there.

Also not to say GPU mining isn't worth it for bitcoin. Its going to be not worth it for Scrypt coins very soon too. Due to ASIC's for scrypt now being released. Your rig will be fine for Scrypt-N factor and Jane and X11 etc however I recommend 16GB ram for your set up if looking to mine those.
tkozlowski (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 04:59:40 PM

Didn't look up the motherboard but I assume it has enough pci lanes for the cards. The only thing to be careful with is your PSU's I was watching a guide a few months back, and you need to use some cap on the 24pin of the second one, and link them so they turn on simultaneous and stuff like that. I can't really help you with that but the set up should work.

But yeah just keep that in mind with the second PSU when you get there.

Also not to say GPU mining isn't worth it for bitcoin. Its going to be not worth it for Scrypt coins very soon too. Due to ASIC's for scrypt now being released. Your rig will be fine for Scrypt-N factor and Jane and X11 etc however I recommend 16GB ram for your set up if looking to mine those.

The motherboard does have enough PCIe lanes. I will be fine with 1 PSU but I probably will use add2psu when I add another.

GPU mining is definitely not worth it for Bitcoin. I would lose ~$300 annually. I am aware that scrypt ASICs are coming soon but when that happens I'll probably switch to another cryptocoin algorithm such as Scrypt-N or some other ASIC resistant algorithm. For scrypt I should be fine with 8GB of RAM but if I need more then I can buy another 8GB stick. My motherboard supports up to 16GB. (I changed my plan for getting RAM. I am getting a single stick of 8GB ram instead of 2x4GB)
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 05:07:39 PM

GPU mining is definitely not worth it for Bitcoin
too late for gpu mining man, dont do it, you will loose only
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 05:10:32 PM

Who said he was going to mine bitcoin?
Mining altcoins is still very profitable. Go and read more. You don't even have evidence to back up your statement...
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 05:38:19 PM

i stand corrected then, my bad
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4410
Merit: 3305

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:15:10 PM

I recommend that before you put a bunch of money into some equipment, you try to figure out how much it will mine and how much you will make. Go through a few different scenarios and try to come up with a best guess on the future difficulty and exchange rate. Determine how long mining will remain profitable, considering future difficulty, future exchange rates, and the cost of electricity.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Harlbatr

Activity: 34

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:23:52 PM

There is other currencies to mine with gpu only, those are the future for gpu's, like scrypt-n, x11 and so on, which is asic proof.
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:24:05 PM

Who said he was going to mine bitcoin?
Mining altcoins is still very profitable. Go and read more. You don't even have evidence to back up your statement...

I disagree. GPU mining has gotten very hard even for altcoins. People in areas where electricity is expensive are starting to go into the more-expensive-than-profit-to-operate zone (if you want to argue this point, look at numerous multipool threads and see how many people are discussing this.)

Scrypt Asics are coming into the market now and also turning things upside down. I would not get into GPU mining at this point.

As far as asic-proof... ha! I remember when everyone said scrypt was asic-proof. Look what is happening now.
xbudahx

Activity: 378
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:20:33 PM

I have a setup with 3 R9 270s, went from $10-$15 a day in Dec down to about $2-$3 but this week is a welcome relief and back up to $5-$8 a day.

If you have fun doing it, go for it. I wouldn't expect to make ROI in less than a year though and it  very possibly will never happen.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: