Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:27:00 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Profit on CPU mining? Best way to do it?  (Read 3425 times)
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 07:41:57 AM

Not any more, almost all CPU coin either get killed by GPU or botnet..
Quark is pretty much dead. The only lively one left is DIME Smiley

Which again might not last long Smiley

DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:44:16 AM

Not any more, almost all CPU coin either get killed by GPU or botnet..
Quark is pretty much dead. The only lively one left is DIME Smiley

Which again might not last long Smiley
But also may, why not? Wink
skuser

Activity: 291

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:35:36 AM

Could I make any real world profit if i were to put a Graphics Card on each machine mining something other than Bitcoins?

You probably still could, but You won't be able to live in the room where the cards are running due to heat they produce (unless you have powerful air condition, but that would be double waste of power).

If you really want to try mining, go to Group buys section and find some reseller of Gridseed miner in your area, buy one for roughly 110 bucks and you can start playing. Gridseed miners are basically replacement of Graphics cards for scrypt mining but their power consumption is much lower so they don't produce too much heat. You can have your investment back in app. 5 months but it depends on many factors...

byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:42:32 PM

Could I make any real world profit if i were to put a Graphics Card on each machine mining something other than Bitcoins?

You probably still could, but You won't be able to live in the room where the cards are running due to heat they produce (unless you have powerful air condition, but that would be double waste of power).

If you really want to try mining, go to Group buys section and find some reseller of Gridseed miner in your area, buy one for roughly 110 bucks and you can start playing. Gridseed miners are basically replacement of Graphics cards for scrypt mining but their power consumption is much lower so they don't produce too much heat. You can have your investment back in app. 5 months but it depends on many factors...

Absolutely not true. Don't listen to this guy, since he has no idea of what he is talking about.
I have a rig, made up of R9 270, which is a good cheap card to start a rig with. They are running overclocked @ 70C, but that does not mean that your whole room will be boiling. In fact, I have it in my living room, and all it does is keep the room a bit warmer at night. Not much of a noticeable difference.
skuser

Activity: 291

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:05:46 PM

I have in the room 2x R9 290 and 2x R9 280x so I know what I am talking about Wink
R9 270 will cost about $180 and hashes max 480kH/sec, one Gridseed costs $110 and hashes 360kHs, do the math yourself...

byt411

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:23:47 PM

I have in the room 2x R9 290 and 2x R9 280x so I know what I am talking about Wink
R9 270 will cost about $180 and hashes max 480kH/sec, one Gridseed costs $110 and hashes 360kHs, do the math yourself...

Then your cards seriously have a problem. It should not produce that much excess heat.

Also, may I ask, where can you find a gridseed for $110?
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 09:40:55 PM

Then your cards seriously have a problem. It should not produce that much excess heat.

Looks like there's a bunch of Gridseed sellers in the Group Buys section around that pricepoint:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=137.0

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
wielkizegar

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:42:46 PM

hardware > group buy, or for example hashra  Wink
byt411

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:51:38 PM

Looks like there's a bunch of Gridseed sellers in the Group Buys section around that pricepoint:

Most of them are selling @ around $200 per unit, and atari02, selling at $100, has a MOQ of 5, so that is still $650.

The OP already has a PC, and adding a GPU and maybe changing the PSU is less than $650.
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 10:05:03 PM

Most of them are selling @ around $200 per unit, and atari02, selling at $100, has a MOQ of 5, so that is still $650.

The OP already has a PC, and adding a GPU and maybe changing the PSU is less than $650.

You're going to order multiple anyways if you're going Gridseed(usually 10 or more), so yes the @$100 price point still stands.

Who orders just one Gridseed???  Tongue

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
byt411

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:15:21 PM

You're going to order multiple anyways if you're going Gridseed(usually 10 or more), so yes the @$100 price point still stands.

I want to, but sadly I cannot find a good deal anywhere.
I've got a rig with one R9 270, and I cannot invest so much money. Gridseeds would be ideal, or I could add more GPUs.
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 11:16:35 PM

I've got a rig with one R9 270, and I cannot invest so much money. Gridseeds would be ideal, or I could add more GPUs.

If you're going to start slow and get one at a time, before going the volume discount way:

http://www.gawminers.com/300-kh-s-single-gridseed-asic-miner/

Then when you get enough saved up, you can get a 5 pack or 10 pack from one of the Group Buys.

Cheers.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
byt411

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:21:16 PM

If you're going to start slow and get one at a time, before going the volume discount way:

http://www.gawminers.com/300-kh-s-single-gridseed-asic-miner/

Then when you get enough saved up, you can get a 5 pack or 10 pack from one of the Group Buys.

Cheers.

Not bad. No money either lol, send some to the address in the signature below!
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:27:56 AM

Comments:

1) There is another coin that can be CPU mined right now and that is Fairquark, but don't expect riches.

2) GPU's are a dicey proposition. The best value is PNY’s 750 Ti 2GB for $149 which does about 280 kH and runs a lot cooler than AMD cards.. Whether or not to buy this card depends on what the future holds for anti-ASIC algos.

3) GAW sells gridseed miners right now for $119 ea, quantity 5. I purchased 2 when GAW had a special $100 discount when you spent at least $300. Right now I keep my eye on them simply because they seem the most realisitic in that they appear to be dropping the gridseed price the closer it gets to when the 250 MH machines start being delivered. At 250MH for $10k, that results in a cost of $40 per megahash, whereas the gridseed right now is about $330 per megahash.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: