Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:05:11 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why 21 Million? Won't that defeat the purpose & STOP Universal Acceptance  (Read 2427 times)
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:50:19 AM

Do you realize this is why we went off gold standard?  When you make currency convertible to a commodity.  The supply cant keep up w demand.  It leads to liquidity crisis

No that was to provide camouflage cover. The real reason we went off the gold standard was to accommodate big government. The US population in 1971 was about 200M and about 300M in 2008 or a 50% increase in 40 years. Take a look at the chart below. Over that same time period 1971-2008 the US monetary base increased about 700% in 40 years. Even worse from 2008-2012 or just 4 years it increased 300%! Liquidity crisis my rear. We're absolutely swimming in dollars. You should really listen to the following Peter Schiff episode. He really nails it talking about average people living on about $50 per week in the 50's yet having a full family, feeding & clothing the kids, without the wife working, and typically without a high school diploma, but it's because in today's dollars a comparable person would need to earn $140K per year.

Nixon went off gold standard & left Bretton Woods because there wasn't enough gold reserves to back foreign debt.  If foreign debt holders converted their bonds for US gold the USD would have crashed.  In fact Switzerland & France started to do this and it began to put pressure on the USD

Peter Schiff is a gold peddler and doesn't know squat about economics.  The problem we have now is not because there isn't enough USD.  The problem is money stuck in the financial world because private sector is deleveraging their balance sheets. 
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:31:02 AM

Do you realize this is why we went off gold standard?  When you make currency convertible to a commodity.  The supply cant keep up w demand.  It leads to liquidity crisis

No that was to provide camouflage cover. The real reason we went off the gold standard was to accommodate big government. The US population in 1971 was about 200M and about 300M in 2008 or a 50% increase in 40 years. Take a look at the chart below. Over that same time period 1971-2008 the US monetary base increased about 700% in 40 years. Even worse from 2008-2012 or just 4 years it increased 300%! Liquidity crisis my rear. We're absolutely swimming in dollars. You should really listen to the following Peter Schiff episode. He really nails it talking about average people living on about $50 per week in the 50's yet having a full family, feeding & clothing the kids, without the wife working, and typically without a high school diploma, but it's because in today's dollars a comparable person would need to earn $140K per year.

Nixon went off gold standard & left Bretton Woods because there wasn't enough gold reserves to back foreign debt.  If foreign debt holders converted their bonds for US gold the USD would have crashed.  In fact Switzerland & France started to do this and it began to put pressure on the USD

Peter Schiff is a gold peddler and doesn't know squat about economics.  The problem we have now is not because there isn't enough USD.  The problem is money stuck in the financial world because private sector is deleveraging their balance sheets. 

you are exactly right, take a look at the article I posted right after his post.  Great history lesson on creating the petrodollar
twiifm

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:03:48 AM

Thanks for the link.  Very interesting article
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:05:24 AM

Thanks for the link.  Very interesting article

yah a financial planner friend of mine keeps me up to date on the world economy...stuff like that is definitely food for thought in regards to the future of the USA and the Dollar. Also sheds some light on "wars" we do and do not choose to get involved with!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:11:34 AM

There are 100,000,000 satoshi in every Bitcoin so there are 100000000*21000000 (2,100,000,000,000,000) satoshi to be mined.

And bitcoins can be divided even further.

ok so we will be dealing in satoshi rather than BTC

isn't that like pennies - or subdivisions of pennies?

right now people GIVE away satoshi - they have so little value right?

I am not sure if this helps or hurts the situation

hmmmm..... Huh

If the number was 500 Million, then people would have eventually said that was not enough.
21 Million cannot be changed, so we need to accept it.
(Like it/Love it/Use alt coins)

When we run short of BTC, the price will go WAY up.
Isn't that brilliant?  Cheesy

MNDan

Activity: 287
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:26:33 AM

Why are people who don't understand math allowed to post anywhere besides the Beginners forum?
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:42:31 AM

Why are people who don't understand math allowed to post anywhere besides the Beginners forum?

There used to be a "newbie jail" but not any more.
It's a "free market" now. 

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:47:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHDcl5aiGus&list=UUIjuLiLHdFxYtFmWlbTGQRQ

actually that is also camouflage...

we got off gold (silver and gold certificates) to Federal Reserve Notes because we got tired of handling gold for the world and to secure the future of a global currency backed by oil. ie the petrodollar

this is not someones opinion...this is historical fact:

http://ftmdaily.com/preparing-for-the-collapse-of-the-petrodollar-system/

Which part is historical fact, getting tired of handling the world's gold or moving to the petrodollar? I can agree with the latter but certainly not the former. What are we, gold box boys at the supermarket? If we're so tired of handling peoples' gold, which by the way consists of moving a sticker from one stack to another while the physical gold doesn't move, why is our response to Germany upon request for their gold back, sorry we can't give it to you all at once, but will instead stagger shipments over several years?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-19/germany-has-recovered-paltry-5-tons-gold-ny-fed-after-one-year

We got tired of handling other peoples' gold. What a bunch of nonsense.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:56:49 PM

Instead of 21m if it were 21, then also we did not have a problem. It is about divisibility

iGROWyourBiz (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:57:11 PM

Which part is historical fact, getting tired of handling the world's gold or moving to the petrodollar? I can agree with the latter but certainly not the former. What are we, gold box boys at the supermarket? If we're so tired of handling peoples' gold, which by the way consists of moving a sticker from one stack to another while the physical gold doesn't move, why is our response to Germany upon request for their gold back, sorry we can't give it to you all at once, but will instead stagger shipments over several years?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-19/germany-has-recovered-paltry-5-tons-gold-ny-fed-after-one-year

We got tired of handling other peoples' gold. What a bunch of nonsense.

uhm -- did you bother to read the article?  if not, then I have no clue how you can say something you have not read is "nonsense".  If you read it, then you wouldn't be making the statement. so....sure....just spout uniformed opinion  Undecided
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:35:55 PM

uhm -- did you bother to read the article?  if not, then I have no clue how you can say something you have not read is "nonsense". ...

uhm -- did you bother to read my comment? I didn't say the article is nonsense. I posted the article because it supports my position.

EDIT: your above quote is confusing because you linked the zerohedge article I posted. Now I realize you probably meant the article you linked farther up, the one that looks like an informational landing page to a get-rich-quick scheme: http://ftmdaily.com/preparing-for-the-collapse-of-the-petrodollar-system/ No I didn't read that, but I don't need to in order to know the statement "we got tired of handling the world's gold" is nonsense.
iGROWyourBiz (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:51:41 PM

uhm -- did you bother to read the article?  if not, then I have no clue how you can say something you have not read is "nonsense". ...

uhm -- did you bother to read my comment? I didn't say the article is nonsense. I posted the article because it supports my position.

EDIT: your above quote is confusing because you linked the zerohedge article I posted. Now I realize you probably meant the article you linked farther up, the one that looks like an informational landing page to a get-rich-quick scheme: http://ftmdaily.com/preparing-for-the-collapse-of-the-petrodollar-system/ No I didn't read that, but I don't need to in order to know the statement "we got tired of handling the world's gold" is nonsense.

"By the end of the war, nearly 80 percent of the world’s gold was sitting in U.S. vaults and the U.S. Dollar had officially become the world’s undisputed reserve currency."

"As nations lined up to convert their dollar holdings for Washington's gold, the United States realized that the game was over. Clearly, America had never intended to be the globe's gold warehouse. Instead, the convertibility of the dollar into gold was meant to generate a global trust in U.S. paper money."

Quotes from the article....soooo...yah as I said...BOTH
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:08:09 PM

"By the end of the war, nearly 80 percent of the world’s gold was sitting in U.S. vaults and the U.S. Dollar had officially become the world’s undisputed reserve currency."

"As nations lined up to convert their dollar holdings for Washington's gold, the United States realized that the game was over. Clearly, America had never intended to be the globe's gold warehouse. Instead, the convertibility of the dollar into gold was meant to generate a global trust in U.S. paper money."

Quotes from the article....soooo...yah as I said...BOTH

What exactly is your point?
imamanandyou

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:10:50 PM

Actually, Bitcoin had to be called much less than 100,000,000 satoshi. Like 1 Bitcoin = 10,000 satoshi and now mined block = 250,000 Bitcoins

Not really difference, but average person like 1.5045 number much more than 0.00015045

acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:39:52 PM

Here, iGROWyourBiz, do me a favor and read the following. It's a link to RT, an international multilingual television network, the second most watched foreign news channel in the US after the BBC in 2011, not a link to a guy named Jerry Robinson's website:

http://rt.com/op-edge/gold-manhattan-new-york-594/

The total value of the New York Federal Reserve's gold bullion trove of 6700 tonnes is a staggering $368.5 billion.

But according to the New York Federal Reserve: "We do not own the gold. We are mere custodians."

The gold is in "safe-keeping" on behalf of more than 60 sovereign countries and a few organizations. Close to 98 per cent of the gold bullion stored in the NY Fed's lower Manhattan vaults, according to the Fed, belongs to central banks of foreign countries.

The remaining 2 per cent "is owned by the United States and international organizations such as the IMF."

A wall of gold bricks in the globally owned collection at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. (Photo courtesy of the New York Fed’s press center)

Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:00:56 PM

Here, iGROWyourBiz, do me a favor and read the following. It's a link to RT, an international multilingual television network, the second most watched foreign news channel in the US after the BBC in 2011, not a link to a guy named Jerry Robinson's website:

The total value of the New York Federal Reserve's gold bullion trove of 6700 tonnes is a staggering $368.5 billion.

But according to the New York Federal Reserve: "We do not own the gold. We are mere custodians."

The gold is in "safe-keeping" on behalf of more than 60 sovereign countries and a few organizations. Close to 98 per cent of the gold bullion stored in the NY Fed's lower Manhattan vaults, according to the Fed, belongs to central banks of foreign countries.

The remaining 2 per cent "is owned by the United States and international organizations such as the IMF."

A wall of gold bricks in the globally owned collection at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. (Photo courtesy of the New York Fed’s press center)

Who owned the gold that was lost (or stolen) under the World Trade Center?

dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:07:01 PM

1.) Bitcoin was the first and thus largely an experiment. It may well turn out that some other crypto takes the number 1 spot eventually by building and improving upon the bitcoin model. It has been widely discussed that it was a first attempt and has some flaws which we have since learned how to overcome. But the total cap of coins is intensely debated.

2.) As others have said it can be updated to allow further decimal places.

3.) As bitcoins become "lost" the total supply decreases which may increase value in the long run, which certainly won't make it any less popular. So unless something really drastic happens and a whole lot of people lose their bitcoins permanently, a slowly shrinking supply may not be a bad thing at all (for those of us who don't lose them.)
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:06:37 PM

Who owned the gold that was lost (or stolen) under the World Trade Center?

My guess would be the American people and I can assure you the gold was not lost.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:17:08 PM

there was already a lot discussions about this, no problem at all Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: