Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:47:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible for a society to exist without poor?  (Read 873 times)
supernovax (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:19:36 PM

Being a poor citizen in a 4th world country. I wonder if it is possible for a society to exist without poor.

Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:21:03 PM

in a communist country yes

simply kill all the poor Cheesy

---------------

and yes, it is

but it would be a utopia and not possible in a "4th world country"..

Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:27:28 PM

Yes that society can exist but only on paper not on ground , since greed ,  money , power , lust , corruption have deep roots in mankind.
supernovax (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:27:37 PM

If all poor is killed what will happen to that country? Let say America. Is there a way to make all poor the same standing as middle class? A country without poor not possible in a democrazy?

blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:31:22 PM

Yes it is possible. The only thing you have to do is to take all earned money into a big pot and give all citizens exactly as much as all others, or just to abolish money as a concept (communism).
Another way is to just have high taxes and give the tax money to the poor (The Nordic Model).
There are many ways to achieve a society without poor.
supernovax (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:38:30 PM

Yes it is possible. The only thing you have to do is to take all earned money into a big pot and give all citizens exactly as much as all others, or just to abolish money as a concept (communism).
Another way is to just have high taxes and give the tax money to the poor (The Nordic Model).

Is this feasible for many years to come? Does this make the poor became lazy? I don't know how they achieve this because in most cases the rich controls the government.

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:41:48 PM

I'm leaning towards yes it is very possible.  For example earth has all kinds of resources that are not being used for maximum benefits for the people for example land and water...   
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:43:24 PM

I'm leaning towards yes it is very possible.  For example earth has all kinds of resources that are not being used for maximum benefits for the people for example land and water...  

and its because the people in control want to exploit those resources to become more rich rather than their good use.
Kiki112

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:45:16 PM

If all poor is killed what will happen to that country? Let say America. Is there a way to make all poor the same standing as middle class? A country without poor not possible in a democrazy?

it is possible but only in small countries with plenty of oil

something like Qatar Wink

zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:50:34 PM

Yes ,is possible in a fantasy world were is no greed and everything is shared equally,were people are not poor or middle class or rich.....are just people .......but as i said in fantasy !

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
blacksails

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:52:36 PM

Is this feasible for many years to come? Does this make the poor became lazy? I don't know how they achieve this because in most cases the rich controls the government.
It worked for a long time in Sweden. Then the neo-liberal ideas broke through in the early 90's and fucked up the economy.
Before that there was almost no unemployment, good wages and working conditions. And if you couldn't find a job or was unable to work the government gave you enough money to live on. Most poor did not become lazy, since they earned more if they worked. Sure, there were lazy people that faked diseases to get the money and instead got paid from their works "under the table".
But you have to have in mind that the social-democratic party was in charge of the country for almost one-hundred years (with a few years of conservative rule every now and then).
Kiki112

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:13:41 PM

Yes ,is possible in a fantasy world were is no greed and everything is shared equally,were people are not poor or middle class or rich.....are just people .......but as i said in fantasy !

it's a fantasy world only for big countries, there it can't be done

but small countries who are accidently placed on an area with plenty of resources might achieve this..

as I said, something like Qatar

the damn country has a BDP od 98 000$ per capita Cheesy

blacksails

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:18:22 PM

but small countries who are accidently placed on an area with plenty of resources might achieve this..

And therefore it would be better if there were many small countries instead of a few big ones. The smaller society, the more important your voice gets.
Kiki112

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:20:08 PM

And therefore it would be better if there were many small countries instead of a few big ones. The smaller society, the more important your voice gets.

but sometime one of the smaller nations would start invading other small nations and there would be no big nation to stop it Cheesy

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:24:48 PM

I'm leaning towards yes it is very possible.  For example earth has all kinds of resources that are not being used for maximum benefits for the people for example land and water...  

and its because the people in control want to exploit those resources to become more rich rather than their good use.

Agreed, this planet is resource rich and those resources are being wasted and exploited simply to gain power over others simple as that.   
blacksails

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:26:52 PM

but sometime one of the smaller nations would start invading other small nations and there would be no big nation to stop it Cheesy
Then other small nations would have to join and stop the aggressive ones. Most people in the world are not interested in invading other countries anyway, so that would not be I big problem I believe.
Kiki112

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:38:56 PM

Then other small nations would have to join and
 stop the aggressive ones. Most people in the world are not interested in invading other countries anyway, so that would not be I big problem I believe.

they are not because there are bigger countries preventing them from doing so and the UN..

there will always be barbaric nations, there always was  Undecided

blacksails

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:44:50 PM

Then other small nations would have to join and
 stop the aggressive ones. Most people in the world are not interested in invading other countries anyway, so that would not be I big problem I believe.

they are not because there are bigger countries preventing them from doing so and the UN..

there will always be barbaric nations, there always was  Undecided
Yes, and therefore other more peaceful nations should offer defensive assistance if a nation is being invaded. In that way the aggressive nation will quickly realize it's not worth the effort.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:33:20 PM

There can never be a society without poor people because people have the capacity to choose their professions, and if people choose to take on a profession that will make them poor, such as writing, activism, or attempting to be the next Buddha, then we have no right to stop them.

Assuming everyone in a given society wants to be wealthy from their work, then yes, it is absolutely possible for there to exist a society without the poor.  Ignoring people who choose not to be wealthy, and focusing only on those who want to be wealthy but are prevented, we only have to look at what stops them from becoming so.  Off the top of my head, these reasons come to mind:

1. Inability to begin a business, thereby creating work to be done
2. Inability to work under agreed conditions between himself and another, whether he is the employer or employee
3. Inability to keep the wealth he has generated to spend where he deems appropriate

Remember that wealth is not distributed, but created; wealth is additive, not divided.

So, what happens when a man realizes there is a need he can provide for in his community?
1. Not enough money to pay his government for the right to do so.  Not enough money to beat the local state-granted monopoly's prices.  Not enough money to pay for employees who are more expensive than they're worth.

So, what happens when a man realizes he must work to earn enough to begin his business?
2. Regulation makes him too expensive to hire for entry-level positions; not only does this stop him from generating wealth, it stops little businesses from forming all together, including his.  He doesn't have enough savings to work on his skill set so he can be worth the amount his government makes him to be, so he gets stuck in a rut.  Finally, after living impoverished for some time, he develops enough talent to be worth hiring.

So, what happens once, or if, he finally finds work?
3. The wealth he generates is siphoned out by the business which needs to pay off the government, including various regulatory costs and taxes, and must pay for the unfair favors other businesses are getting via lobbying, as well as siphoned directly by government itself for egalitarian purposes such as welfare and subsidies.  The man, ultimately, is not left with enough money to even dream of competing with the major businesses of the area, and only makes enough for subsistence.

Thus, we see, the reason why any given society has so many poor people, is due to their wealth generated being swallowed up by the hydra of big government and big business.

To answer the question: it's only possible if people can get over their superstitions and begin to practice secular rationalism.  Until then, no, every society must have poor people for the state to farm.

jparsley

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:12:02 PM

Poverty can be controled In a well organised country

please unban me.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: