Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:46:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: US Taxes - Form 8949, Turbo Tax and Importing Transaction data  (Read 1715 times)
virtualfaqs (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 06:58:42 PM

What's the easiest way to do this?

I'm using Turbo Tax and I have my Mtgox transaction history up to 2013.

I don't want to type out 1000 lines of transactions. Anyone have a good solution to this? I have briefly read that Turbotax can import a certain file type after converting an Excel file.

I got the data imported into kryptotax.com but it fails at bitcointax.info. So I have an idea what my 2013 Capital Gains are and will probably pay the taxes based on that and file an extension while I figure this out. But krypotax.com has no print outs.

https://twitter.com/virtualfaqs
Looking for altcoin pump advice? Then follow me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
virtualfaqs (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 07:11:20 PM

This looks like good advice. So I'll probably follow it.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1491785-can-i-import-sale-and-cost-basis-information-directly-from-an-excel-spreadsheet-into-the-turbotax-spreadsheet-or-directly-to-the-irs-form-8949

You cannot go directly from Excel to Turbotax.  You would need to convert the spreadsheet into a TXF file.  A Google search on "Excel to TXF" might work, but some of the results are commercial programs not affiliated with Turbotax.  An easier way would be to merely attach an Excel spreadsheet.

If you just list the totals from a worksheet or spreadsheet it must be the same as the column headings on Form 8949.  If you do, you can still e-file. Within 3 days of filing acceptance of your e-file, you should complete Form 8453 ( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf ). The Form is mailed with your securities list, in the format of Form 8949, and mailed to the the address listed in the instructions.

Instructions for Form 8453 include the following:

If you are filing your tax return using an online provider [such as Turbotax], mail Form 8453 to the IRS within 3 business days after you have received acknowledgment from your intermediate service provider and/or transmitter that the IRS has accepted your electronically filed tax return. If you do not receive an acknowledgment, you must contact your intermediate service provider and/or transmitter.

Is there a bitcoin tax website that automatically sorts out all my Mtgox transactions into easy to print Excel sheets?

KyrosKrane

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 05:53:19 AM

Is there a bitcoin tax website that automatically sorts out all my Mtgox transactions into easy to print Excel sheets?

Check out bitcointaxes.info. It makes it trivial to do these calculations and export to Excel or Turbotax TXF files.

Tips and donations: 1KyrosREGDkNLp1rMd9wfVwfkXYHTd6j5U  |  BTC P2Pool node: p2pool.kyros.info:9332
virtualfaqs (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 06:11:27 AM

Check out bitcointaxes.info. It makes it trivial to do these calculations and export to Excel or Turbotax TXF files.

Thanks. Will try em again. But last time they had problems importing my Gox data and don't give a reason for the problem.

But now that I have 5 more months! haha

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:31:42 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share how you went about doing your taxes in detail here.  This could be very useful for many people in the future.  Smiley
virtualfaqs (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 08:29:21 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share how you went about doing your taxes in detail here.  This could be very useful for many people in the future.  Smiley

No problem. Surprises me I didn't find any other thread about this. Of course I didn't look that hard. I got myself another 5 months to figure this out.

KyrosKrane

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:26:44 AM

No problem. Surprises me I didn't find any other thread about this. Of course I didn't look that hard. I got myself another 5 months to figure this out.
I posted something pretty similar (though much more long-winded) here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=572763.0

Tips and donations: 1KyrosREGDkNLp1rMd9wfVwfkXYHTd6j5U  |  BTC P2Pool node: p2pool.kyros.info:9332
d2dtk

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 06:56:36 AM

DO you get more money back/tax break if the value dropped from when you originally purchased btc?

KyrosKrane

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2014, 11:22:07 AM

DO you get more money back/tax break if the value dropped from when you originally purchased btc?
To a limited extent, yes. That's a loss which you can use to offset your capital gains. For example, if you bought a bitcoin for $400 and sold it for $800, and then you bought another bitcoin for $1000 and sold it for $700, then you subtract your net loss ($300) from your net gain ($400) and only pay capital gains tax on the difference ($100). I'm not sure of the rules if your capital losses exceed your capital gains.

DNScode

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 07:57:22 PM

sharing how you went about doing your taxes in detail here you probably help many people. Good for you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: