Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:00:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brainwallets how to use?  (Read 913 times)
Nobitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

In holiday we trust

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:10:36 PM

I was wondering how to use in my bitcoin app when I got a private key and an address... Maybe get a different client?
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 07:49:35 PM

I was wondering how to use in my bitcoin app when I got a private key and an address... Maybe get a different client?

I do not understand?

Topic you gave is: Brainwallets how to use?

so far as I know
A brainwallet refers to the concept of storing Bitcoins in one's own mind by memorization of a passphrase. As long as the passphrase is not recorded anywhere, the Bitcoins can be thought of as existing nowhere except in the mind of the holder. If a brainwallet is forgotten or the person dies or is permanently incapacitated, the Bitcoins are lost forever.

I am asking because I do not understand the thread - what have a client to do with a brainwallet?
fat%

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 08:45:18 PM

I do not understand?

Topic you gave is: Brainwallets how to use?

so far as I know
A brainwallet refers to the concept of storing Bitcoins in one's own mind by memorization of a passphrase. As long as the passphrase is not recorded anywhere, the Bitcoins can be thought of as existing nowhere except in the mind of the holder. If a brainwallet is forgotten or the person dies or is permanently incapacitated, the Bitcoins are lost forever.

I am asking because I do not understand the thread - what have a client to do with a brainwallet?

He's trying to import the private key into his mobile app. Now as far as I know it works with the standard PC core version, but not on mobile phones.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 08:46:45 PM

He's trying to import the private key into his mobile app. Now as far as I know it works with the standard PC core version, but not on mobile phones.

Sure you can import ... you can import private key into mobile Bitcoin Wallet for Android - if this is in this case.

Smiley Maybe OP will explain it better to us.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:32:53 AM

A brainwallet is a great way to have your bitcoins stolen.

You better be really sure that you understand all the risks and exactly what you need to do to generate a secure brainwallet before you start receiving bitcoins that way, or you'll be rather unhappy.
Nobitcoin (OP)
Legendary

In holiday we trust

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:59:50 AM

Well when I created a brainwallet I was given a wallet address and private key... Just wondered how to import them both into my wallet
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3274

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:29:56 AM

Well when I created a brainwallet I was given a wallet address and private key... Just wondered how to import them both into my wallet

Typically, you type your passphrase into a brain wallet site and it will give you the private key. Then you import that private key into your wallet. The bitcoin address is derived from the private key, so the imported address should match yours.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:30:56 AM

Typically, you type your passphrase into a brain wallet site and it will give you the private key. Then you import that private key into your wallet. The address is derived from the private key so it should match.
Thats only if his coins aren't already stolen. I've seen brainwallets get emptied within 10 seconds.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:33:23 AM

Typically, you type your passphrase into a brain wallet site and it will give you the private key. Then you import that private key into your wallet. The address is derived from the private key so it should match.
Thats only if his coins aren't already stolen. I've seen brainwallets get emptied within 10 seconds.

How so?  Not enough entropy? Or are there other pitfalls?

Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:36:15 AM

That's the main problem. Humans aren't random enough to produce a string of words that have enough entropy not to be brute forced by a computer. So mostly any funds placed in a brain wallet are taken nearly instantaneously by someone who has simply brute forced their way to private key.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:52:29 AM

Often a brain wallet passphrase is the first line of a book, or a few words from a popular song, and so on. Anyone can generate addresses from hundreds of songs, popular books, etc, and regularly verify if anyone else has generated the same address and deposited some bitcoins.. et voila', your bitcoins are gone!

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 06:53:18 AM

Which wallet are you using? Bitcoin Core? Blockchain.info wallet?
If you are using Bitcoin Core, you should use "importprivkey" command at the Bitcoin Core debug console.
For details, google it.

DannyHamilton is right. I would not recommend anyone to use brainwallets.
Nobitcoin (OP)
Legendary

In holiday we trust

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:15:56 AM

Thanks for the information been very helpful
Natium

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:18:31 AM

Really good information here, thank you!

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:22:41 AM

You better be really sure that you understand all the risks and exactly what you need to do to generate a secure brainwallet before you start receiving bitcoins that way, or you'll be rather unhappy.

In it's current form, yeah- but it would be easy for this to be fixed (Why hasn't someone already?) For example you could pick a number and use it anywhere in your brain wallet and that could be the number of times the passphrase is hashed to give you your private key.

more or less retired.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 10:56:49 AM

In it's current form, yeah- but it would be easy for this to be fixed (Why hasn't someone already?) For example you could pick a number and use it anywhere in your brain wallet and that could be the number of times the passphrase is hashed to give you your private key.
The number should be high ... preferably in the order of billions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: