Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:53:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me with my taxes  (Read 747 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Nolo (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 07:26:14 PM

I have been incredibly busy this year, and have completely procrastinated doing my taxes.  I am stuck now on Bitcoin.  I'm using TurboTax and just have no clue with the recent IRS rulings where to get started.  Instead of researching the issue like I should, (I'm NOT a tax attorney lol), I'm coming to you good people for advice.

I made most of my coins by mining early on a couple years ago.   I have no real paper trail to go back and determine when these coins were mined.  I don't trade very often, but when I do, it's usually on btc-e.  Last year I only cashed out to fiat about $30,000 or so total to my personal bank account, and this was generally conducted with localbitcoins.com.  As far as I can tell, these transactions are the only transactions that I have any type of paper trail for.

This $30,000 is my primary concern, as this is cash I deposited into my bank account, for which I have no explanation for other than bitcoin, and the IRS is obviously going to want their chunk of this. 

So long story short (too late), what is the best way to go about handling this in TurboTax? 

(Also, I'm making this a self-moderated thread.  I'm not interested in replies of "It's your money!  Tell the IRS to keep their hands off of it!" or "hurr durr, only stupid people pay taxes!"  I have too much to lose by filing a false tax return.  I want it to be truthful but don't want to pay anymore than I have to.)

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nolo (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:19:59 PM

Another thought.  Most of these coins would have been mined in 2012.  The IRS just released guidance for the first time a month or so ago.  Am I really supposed to go back and report these mined coins?  

And either way, what is my cost basis for these coins?  Ahhh!!!   Angry

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:40:08 AM

You really should talk to a tax professional, an accountant and/or a tax lawyer.  You could get in a lot of trouble if you don't.

J_Dubbs

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 12:45:46 AM

Cost basis is the value they were mined at, to the best of your ability I'd say use Bitcoinchart's website for historical data. Problem is the mining process should have been income in that year, but guidance didn't exist and I'm guessing it was negligible. You will report the difference between where you mined it at and where you sold at as capital gain, if held over a year at long term cap gain rates.

Are you still mining? If so you have operating expenses etc, ongoing business, income, yada yada. If just the sales then do your best to approximate the capital gains on sale, be conservative but don't screw yourself. Intent matters, just be as honest as possible with the info provided, treat it like a sock sale FIFO method.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 01:11:23 AM

Another thought.  Most of these coins would have been mined in 2012.  The IRS just released guidance for the first time a month or so ago.  Am I really supposed to go back and report these mined coins? 
Yes. However, if they were mined back then, it might not be all that much income, so you shouldn't have a huge penalty.

And either way, what is my cost basis for these coins?  Ahhh!!!   Angry
Figure it out to the best of your ability. Guess if you have to. Then, claim those bitcoins as income at that point based on the btc-e exchange rate at the time (since that is the primary exchange you use). As far as how you declare them for capital gains/losses, however, you need to be able to prove that you owned those bitcoins at that specific point in time. So for that, the date bought would be the earliest that you can prove possession, but with the basis you got when you calculated how much income was generated.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: