Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:37:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin promises freedom  (Read 1713 times)
BillyBobJoe

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 03:13:00 PM

People seem to forget what Bitcoin truly stands for sometimes and its disheartening. Bitcoin is not a get rich scheme or even remotely close to that.

Then you had better hope the average BTC user is nothing like the average poster here at this forum. Just look at some of the ridiculous threads and the even more ridiculous posts in those threads. I have never seen so many predictions about BTC price and I have never seen so many predictions about anything so far off.
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2014, 03:29:14 PM

But most people want to be rich not freedom.
Being rich IS having freedom.

As poverty = (wage)slavery, so wealth = freedom from slavery in capitalism.

I speak from experience, college dropout wage-slave here, now unemployed.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:13:48 PM

But most people want to be rich not freedom.
Being rich IS having freedom.

As poverty = (wage)slavery, so wealth = freedom from slavery in capitalism.

I speak from experience, college dropout wage-slave here, now unemployed.

We don't talk about freedom. Don't wake up the sleeping beast. Hsssh.

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 06:44:34 PM

if you think bitcoin promises you anything, you probably shouldn't be playing this game. no one knows what will happen because there has been nothing like bitcoin in the past.

bitcoin isn't some angel currency either, and there's a pretty good chance that it won't help with equality.. i mean, look at ghash.io's shares, or how many whales we have.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:42:09 PM

Far from all earlier adopters are rich, some certainly are.
Bitcoin is perfect for libertarians who want to make money, since they have at least 2 major reasons to be involved with Bitcoin. For "the masses" appealing to their self-interest is fine, since that is human nature meeting reality.

Please note "appealing to your self-interest" doesn't == "get rich scheme". Bitcoin is good for a hedge against declines in paper money and that will become more obvious as time goes by.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 08:04:51 PM

Bitcoin is perfect for libertarians who want to make money, since they have at least 2 major reasons to be involved with Bitcoin. For "the masses" appealing to their self-interest is fine, since that is human nature meeting reality.

Please note "appealing to your self-interest" doesn't == "get rich scheme". Bitcoin is good for a hedge against declines in paper money and that will become more obvious as time goes by.

yeah but honestly, self-gain reigns supreme. it seems like most people here are vested into bitcoin because they want to help their own personal wealthy; anything else comes as a byproduct. can't blame people though, this is the world we live in.. everybody must fend for themselves.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 09:45:45 PM

yeah but honestly, self-gain reigns supreme. it seems like most people here are vested into bitcoin because they want to help their own personal wealthy; anything else comes as a byproduct. can't blame people though, this is the world we live in.. everybody must fend for themselves.

Good for self and good for others are not mutually exclusive.

If buying bitcoins, using bitcoins, etc... Is good for self and good for others,
Does it really matter WHY a person chooses to do that?   

I would argue the motivations behind it, the spirit, the attitude, mostly
Affects that person.  If I am in a greedy mindset, it is only myself that
Will be consumed by greed.  But others will still benefit.

This is really nothing new.  Money has always been that way.

You can see money in a greedy light, in a compassionate light,
In a needy light...

Whatever is your internal state and energy and vibe toward the world,
That is how you will see the world, money, and bit coin.

Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:25:19 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2014, 12:36:55 AM by Erdogan

It is common to have an ideal of altruism. But there is a problem.

This is a famous article by Susan Wolf about moral saints:
http://philosophyfaculty.ucsd.edu/faculty/rarneson/Courses/susanwolfessay1982.pdf

It is ok to be kind to others, but you can end up destroying yourself. So her conclusion is that you should seek the virtue of unselfishness, but up to a limit. This problem often shows up in practise. You see a friend is being overworked, and unhappy, and you tell him: Take a break, go to a vacation, do something for yourself for a change. Wise people will know that it is neccessary to be somewhat selfish, maybe "steal" some time for themselves or grant themselves some kind of goody now and then without telling others.

So here is the problem: You have a moral (to not be selfish), but you can not follow it, because you destroy yourself. I don't like that, because I want my moral to be consistent. If I have a moral rule that I can not follow, I want to ditch it and replace it with something that I can use.

That is the rational self interest. It is rational, because it leads to the result you want. It goes like this: You wake up, you choose to wash, dress up and eat. Because it is good. Then you choose to go to school or work. Maybe you would rather stay home, but you choose to go anyway, because you have another goal: Salary, career, respect. Then you want to see a friend. You choose that, because you know that interacting with friends is good for you. You keep your promises, because you want others to trust you. You are peaceful and forcefully protect your rights and the rights of others, because you want them to feel safe when you are around.

Why do you do this? Not for them, for yourself, because you want a good life. So there is this hierarchy of choices, and you make choices for your own good. Basically, when you wake up, you have the choice to live or to die, and you choose to live. That is rational self interest.

tl; dr altruism is good if not overused. Rational self interest is the way to go.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 12:51:07 AM

if you think bitcoin promises you anything, you probably shouldn't be playing this game. no one knows what will happen because there has been nothing like bitcoin in the past.
You forgot about Facebook and Twitter. Speaking strictly of growth rates, the S-curves for all 3 are nearly identical.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
cech4204a

Activity: 252

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 02:47:59 AM

Sure thing is that BTC can be used for better future and easier life, but another truth is that BTC is Asset, face it. And that's not even a problem, since people using it for trading or ''gettin rich'' like you said is gonna help BTC become more and more popular, and that's what we really need, we need global acceptance.

Bitcoin is DEAD
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: