Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 06:59:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to have custom BTC address  (Read 762 times)
Lionel (OP)

Activity: 613
Merit: 305

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:00:00 PM

I've seen around some custom-made btc addresses, for example

1Payday1y58nDwp1t......

notice the "Payday", some pools have that word in the address from which they send you the withdrawal

how did they choose that?
i'm not savvy to the inner workings of btc, but when you generate a new address i thought it's choosen at random by the network.

maybe you can "ask the network" if a specific address is already in use, and if not you can create it
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4657

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 02:03:54 PM

I've seen around some custom-made btc addresses, for example

1Payday1y58nDwp1t......

notice the "Payday", some pools have that word in the address from which they send you the withdrawal

how did they choose that?
i'm not savvy to the inner workings of btc, but when you generate a new address i thought it's choosen at random by the network.

maybe you can "ask the network" if a specific address is already in use, and if not you can create it

They generate a random address. Then they look to see if that random address starts with the letters they want.  If it doesn't, then they throw out the address and repeat the process.  They run a computer program that does this as fast as possible and try millions or billions of random addresses until they stumble across one that starts the way they want it to.

For more information, search for VanityGen
mintodev

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:03:43 PM

There is a computer program which will generate vanity address. Try vanitygen.
jimhsu

Activity: 364
Merit: 264

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:16:52 PM

As far as "in use" ... I wouldn't worry about that. There are about (33-13)^58 = 2.9 * 10^75 addresses potentially out there that start with "1Payday". To get an idea of how that big that number is: If every single star in the universe had an earth-like planet, and you counted every single grain of sand on these planets .. that wouldn't come even close to that number.

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparé
jparsley

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:50:08 PM

Use vanitygen

please unban me.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:50:57 PM

You can use vanitygen. I got a few cool EMC2 addresses thanks to vanitygen.
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 275

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:26:44 AM

Clients don't actually check if an address has been used before - its that unlikely.

Bitwasp Developer.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:38:54 AM

Use vanitygen

Just out of reference, @OP if you're planning to create a vanity address and you have a decent GPU - look into using oclvanitygen rather than just vanitygen as your GPU will be a lot faster at brute-forcing keys than your CPU in most cases.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: