Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:03:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Terraminer IV already has one dead board (CTA / core)  (Read 3449 times)
marvinmartian (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 03:57:25 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2014, 05:45:37 PM by marvinmartian

Got mine (2 machines) last week and set them up over the weekend.  They ran fine for a couple of days.  Then as of last night, one of the boxes stopped showing CTA1 (each box has two boards with two ASICs each as I understand it).

I've tried everything with absolutely no luck.  The second CTA will simply not show up, neither on the web interface nor on the lights in front of the machine.  Only the "miner 2" light flashes.  So this machine is now hobbled to 1/2 speed.

- firmware downgrade back to 0.6.48
- factory reset
- reboot via web interface
- reboot through SSH
- reset button on front panel
- power stepping down
- letting the machine "cool down" overnight

No luck.  The second board has never been seen or heard from since it went down last night.  The machine is three days old.

The other machine is still running fine with both boards under the same exact conditions.

I see lots of posts on other forums with people having this problem, but with earlier batches.  My machine is an April (latest) batch.

EDIT:  I just called them and was told to send an email to support@cointerra.com.  They do not have phone-based tech support.

I'll post updates for anyone reading this and is considering purchase of one of their machines.

"... and the geeks shall inherit the earth."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MarcoPolo992k

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 03:34:36 AM

Sadly I have the Exact Same Experience.

I was very excited to receive this appliance, even at 1.6 it is still a nice system.

Worked great for about 2 days.

Now I hash at 1.3 average.

Truthfully support is so overwhelmed and is given Nothing to actually help the customer, or provide compensation.

It seems some units are fine, others have issues.. not sure if its poor quality parts or design flaws.

All I know is i've tried every firmware version available and also some "custom packages" they assembled for me after having a heart to heart with one of the 3 or 4 actual engineers they staff over at CT.

Im an engineer by trade, but don't want to break the seals on the box in case it gets worse and I Need to RMA it.

CTA 0 is no issues runs a little over 800.
CTA 1 runs at 500 because 3 cores do not come online.

Newer firmware indicates that no voltage is being delivered to these cores.  not sure what can be done other than RMA.  

This really doesn't make sense the way that they go about doing it.  it could take 3 weeks to get the unit back.  at that point you have lost significant profits that you will never recoup.  All this, and NO compensation or even understanding from CT about how disappointed I am over the experience with them.  its really a sign that they are after short term riches, and not long term wealth.  

Shame considering how far they came, only to fail... They may not survive this if they burn every bridge and have all these people talking negative about them.

I will let you know how my story ends.  Im still waiting for support to call me back...  I sound like every other poor soul here waiting for CT to step up and do the right thing.

Summary to date:

What I actually Paid for:  2th
I was Forced to Accept:  1.6th
What I actually got:       1.3th

Im going to TRY to be optimistic about the outcome..

I wish you the best of luck.  Hopefully your issues will sort out soon.
Aurum

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

dfgfdgfdg

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 05:02:49 PM

I got mine and similar story. Started out for 2 days at 1.6. Now CTA1 is stable at ~806 GHps but CTA0 keeps drifting down, now at 216. I've tried restarting cgminer, restarting system, and unplugging, waiting over 5 minutes and plugging back in.

For $6,000 this is a piece of junk.

ghghghfgh
StringTheory

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

Making Sense of Things

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 06:45:45 PM

Heat issues are most likely curbing your units output.  When in a residential setting (open windows as cooling method) these units tend to stay around 1.2-1.3TH, dropping occasionally to 400GH/s to let internal temperature drop.  One of our client's units has the same problem as yours though, 1 core dead, we recently have just RMA'd the unit and should be getting a new one this week.

In our temperature controlled hosting facility running at 74 degrees F, with 30% humidity our Terraminer IV's are steady at 1.75TH/s.

Successful Transactions: jayson3 +1
mandingo

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:42:07 AM

This is disturbing news. I have a unit that is only a few months old and the controller board seems to have gone bad (Beagle Board). The cores are good, but boots up to...nothing.

This is a machine (like all of mine) that is kept in a cooled, stable server room. Ideal conditions for these units.

Support is willing to discuss these issues, but for units out of the 30 day warranty, response time is terrible.

You can get a new controller board and install but you still need the firmware which Cointerra will not release.
Grayson5

Activity: 60

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:17:10 AM

I have a similar issue.  The miner boots up, and the chaser lights on the both boards run - but it never connects to the network.  I think the beaglebone shorted out when I had a lightning strike.

I tried everything and can't get it to work.  It did start running for about 3 hours the other day and then stopped.....very frustrating. 

I am hoping I can purchase a new beaglebone from CoinTerra and install it myself.
bitcoinbearhk

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 02:23:04 AM

Has anyone tried replacing the liquid cooling pump?  I saw on the dashboard that the pump speed drops to 0 on the dead core, I suspect that it is the pump problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: