Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:34:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's tell Amazon that we want them to accept bitcoin!  (Read 2974 times)
BTCtrader71 (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:04:20 PM

I would encourage members of this forum to email Amazon and let them know that there are lots of us who would like to be able to spend bitcoin on their site!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCtrader71 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:07:25 PM

This is what I emailed to them through the link in the OP:

Dear Jeff Bezos, Tom Taylor, and Amazon:

I am emailing to request that you at Amazon accept bitcoin as a payment method.

I read news reports [1] starting yesterday that Amazon is not currently interested in accepting bitcoin, and that part of the reasoning was that you are "not hearing from customers that it's right for them."

I am a longtime Amazon customer, and bitcoin is right for me.

I was encouraged when Gyft allowed the purchase of Amazon gift cards using bitcoin. Indeed, I think the future will prove that Gyft CEO Vinny Lingham had keen foresight when he made this decision. I may use their service at some point. My only reason not to use them is that the cards must be bought in specified incremental amounts, and I would prefer not to spend more than the exact cost of my purchase at the time.

I had never even heard of Overstock.com until news reports surfaced that they began accepting payment in bitcoin January 9, 2014. I made my first purchase from Overstock on that very day. As long as I cannot spend bitcoin directly on Amazon, I intend to continue using Overstock instead of Amazon whenever possible.

Best Regards,

(signed)

[1] For example: http://time.com/63376/amazon-bitcoin/

BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:29:43 PM

Here was my email to them.

And the idiotic response I got.

Subject:  Will you be adding?

Comments:I saw recently that Amazon decided not to accept Bitcoin as a payment option.  This is extremely disappointing.  

I am not clear how the company came to the conclusion that its users were not interested in it.  I was never asked?  I do a significant amount of buying through your site, and would have singlehandedly added thousands of dollars of revenue via Bitcoin, which I am currently giving to Overstock.com instead (because they accept Bitcoin).  

I believe this was a bad decision on the part of your executives.  I hope there are upper level people you can forward this to so that feedback from your end users can actually be evaluated, instead of assumed.

Response:

Hello,

I'm sorry; Amazon.com does not comment about rumors or speculative news reports.

However, I can assure you that we have not announced any dealings with Bitcoins.

I'm really sorry if this may have caused any inconvenience.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
Kumar B.

------------------------------------------------------------

So much for getting my email escalated to the powers that be.  

Mister Kumar no doubt hit delete after he misread my entire email.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
sosulon

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:38:28 PM

I doubt Amazon will accept bitcoin lol.

Very unlikely..
apsvinet

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:48:58 PM

Here was my email to them.

And the idiotic response I got.

Subject:  Will you be adding?

Comments:I saw recently that Amazon decided not to accept Bitcoin as a payment option.  This is extremely disappointing.  

I am not clear how the company came to the conclusion that its users were not interested in it.  I was never asked?  I do a significant amount of buying through your site, and would have singlehandedly added thousands of dollars of revenue via Bitcoin, which I am currently giving to Overstock.com instead (because they accept Bitcoin).  

I believe this was a bad decision on the part of your executives.  I hope there are upper level people you can forward this to so that feedback from your end users can actually be evaluated, instead of assumed.

Response:

Hello,

I'm sorry; Amazon.com does not comment about rumors or speculative news reports.

However, I can assure you that we have not announced any dealings with Bitcoins.

I'm really sorry if this may have caused any inconvenience.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
Kumar B.

------------------------------------------------------------

So much for getting my email escalated to the powers that be.  

Mister Kumar no doubt hit delete after he misread my entire email.

-B-
How is that an idiotic response? It's exactly what you'd expect from a major company that doesn't want anything to do with "drug trade currencies" like bitcoins (mainstream view).

∎               GAWMiners The Hashlet World's first digital cloud miner!
∎∎∎   No pool fees Instant activation Never obsolete Always profitable
Reverb

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:49:56 PM

Very unlikely..

I agree with this. I highly doubt Amazon will accept bitcoin soon since bitcoin is very unstable at the very moment. I guess we will have to wait for further notice.
apsvinet

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:51:19 PM

Very unlikely..

I agree with this. I highly doubt Amazon will accept bitcoin soon since bitcoin is very unstable at the very moment. I guess we will have to wait for further notice.
Just imagine how much work they'd have to put into it, with the price rising and sinking by hundreds of dollars within weeks. Not to mention all the decimals people would have to deal with for cheaper items.

BittBurger

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:00:45 PM

How is that an idiotic response? It's exactly what you'd expect from a major company that doesn't want anything to do with "drug trade currencies" like bitcoins (mainstream view).

I asked them *why* they decided *not* to accept Bitcoin.
His response was to "correct" me and "inform" me that they wont be accepting Bitcoin.
Which makes no sense, given what I wrote.

That's why he referenced rumors and speculative articles.
Probably assuming mine was yet another email saying "I heard Amazon will accept Bitcoin".

Idiotic because he didn't even read what I wrote.

-B-

BTCtrader71 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:00:55 PM

Just imagine how much work they'd have to put into it, with the price rising and sinking by hundreds of dollars within weeks. Not to mention all the decimals people would have to deal with for cheaper items.

Overstock got it going in no time with the help of Coinbase. Coinbase can convert bitcoins immediately back into dollars, thus shielding the merchant entirely from price volatility (although many merchants opt to keep some portion of the proceeds as bitcoin as an investment).

xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:01:24 PM

Is the CEO and other high ups there on Twitter? That's the sort of public petitioning that might get some attention...

Though, it's unlikely it would happen yet. If it does happen, it will be after many smaller merchants have proved it and they cannot *afford* to ignore it any more...

I'm sure it will happen sometime, when every ordinary person has a Bitcoin app on their phone Smiley

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
BTCtrader71 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:03:52 PM

Very unlikely..

They will. Only a matter of time.

apsvinet

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:10:50 PM

Very unlikely..

Only one question comes to mind.
Why? Elaborate please, why would they accept bitcoins. Do you think they're not earning enough? Smiley

BittBurger

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:12:57 PM

Very unlikely..

Why? Elaborate please, why would they accept bitcoins. Do you think they're not earning enough? Smiley

C'mon.  Seriously..

Why ... elaborate please ... why would anyone use the internet in 1989?   Do you think they cant communicate just fine with telephones and paper mail?

Is it really so hard for them to drive to the Library and check out a book, or search volumes of encyclopedias and microfiche there, to get information on humpback whales?

-B-

apsvinet

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:17:52 PM

Very unlikely..

C'mon.  Seriously..

Why ... elaborate please ... why would anyone use the internet in 1989?   Do you think they cant communicate just fine with telephones and paper mail?

Is it really so hard for them to drive to the Library and check out a book, or search volumes of encyclopedias and microfiche there, to get information on humpback whales?

-B-
Just because you have one example it doesn't mean anything. There are a lot of inventions and ideas and products that have been invested greatly in that has never made it into mainstream hands.

BTCtrader71 (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:20:51 PM

Very unlikely..

Because they are losing customers to places like Overstock and TigerDirect. Only a trickle now but it will get bigger.

apsvinet

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:26:56 PM

Very unlikely..

Because they are losing customers to places like Overstock and TigerDirect. Only a trickle now but it will get bigger.
They're still the majority. They won't care if a few customers chose another site, and as long as Bitcoin is seen as the devils currency in mainstream media, all major sites and companies will take a strong stand against it.

serchanto

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 05:32:17 PM

For those interested in shopping at Amazon with BTC or LTC, https://www.btczone.com has been offering a way for almost three years.

apsvinet

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:33:10 PM

For those interested in shopping at Amazon with BTC or LTC, https://www.btczone.com has been offering a way for almost three years.
I think the point is to get the website itself to accept them, to make bitcoins more valuable. All bitcoin owners can already sell their bitcoins for USD and buy it that way.

serchanto

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 05:37:17 PM

I think the point is to get the website itself to accept them, to make bitcoins more valuable. All bitcoin owners can already sell their bitcoins for USD and buy it that way.
Yeah, it would be convenient.

apsvinet

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 06:05:58 PM

Yeah, it would be convenient.
Yeah, the point is it'd make the Bitcoin price rise due to it becoming more and more mainstream. I don't see this happening within the next 5 years, but let's keep the hopes up shall we. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: