Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:49:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Rally - Bill in Congress to treat Bitcoin as Currency  (Read 2971 times)
Raystonn (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:43:37 PM

I have seen many posts from folks incredulous on the reversal that started after the 10th.  They say there is no news and no new fiat that would support a rally.  While much of the rise is probably unrelated to any news, and more technical in nature, I offer this as one piece of news I would classify as bullish.  There is now a bill in Congress to treat Bitcoin as currency for tax purposes:

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Texas/2014/04/10/Rep-Stockman-Proposes-New-Method-of-Taxation-on-Bitcoins

-Raystonn
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 04:45:07 PM

That would be FAR worse, for me at least.  I plan on retiring and paying 0% taxes!  How can I do that if they class it as a currency?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
siggy

Activity: 381

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:01:49 PM

That would be FAR worse, for me at least.  I plan on retiring and paying 0% taxes!  How can I do that if they class it as a currency?

Have to agree here...  I saw people going all apeshit over the initial ruling and just can't get my head around why...  Doesn't everyone (well us Americans anyways) realize that this was the BEST realistic tax treatment for bitcoin?  Classifying Bitcoin as currency means the majority of Americans will pay MORE in taxes.   The only thing that could have been better was a ruling of no-taxes.. and I do not consider this a realistic hope.

Sigg
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:06:40 PM

Have to agree here...  I saw people going all apeshit over the initial ruling and just can't get my head around why...  Doesn't everyone (well us Americans anyways) realize that this was the BEST realistic tax treatment for bitcoin?  Classifying Bitcoin as currency means the majority of Americans will pay MORE in taxes.   The only thing that could have been better was a ruling of no-taxes.. and I do not consider this a realistic hope.

Sigg

Because those are kids and never done taxes in their lives?

I dont see how treating it as currency would change how bitcoin is being used except only make it alot more taxable to government.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:12:03 PM

Even though it sounds very unwieldy on the surface, I can't see how the tax treatment they've chosen so far could've been changed all that much inside current rulings.

Perhaps one day it'll justify its own categories.
Raystonn (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:12:50 PM

The current IRS guidance creates onerous reporting requirements on anyone using Bitcoin in a transaction, including retailers and consumers.  This will negatively affect the adoption of Bitcoin as a currency, and thus negatively affect the inflow of new fiat.  The linked news would remove this problem.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:21:55 PM

The current IRS guidance creates onerous reporting requirements on anyone using Bitcoin in a transaction, including retailers and consumers.  This will negatively affect the adoption of Bitcoin as a currency, and thus negatively affect the inflow of new fiat.  The linked news would remove this problem.

So you just need a digital wallet to help you do all the accounting behind the scene, and generate a report for you at the end of the tax year

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:26:28 PM

That's not entirely true.

If Bitcoin was treated as a currency, then the gains/losses would still need to be reported (and taxed) for any transaction over $200.  What's even worse is, those gains/losses would be "gain/loss on foreign currency", which is taxed at ordinary income rate instead of the long term capital gains rate (typically 15% higher tax rate).

Even though the current treatment means you have to report every single transaction instead of just those over $200, I still much prefer it because of the much lower tax rate.

Granted, if you've held your Bitcoins for less than a year, the tax rate is the same.
xDan

Activity: 688
Merit: 500

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:28:56 PM

So you just need a digital wallet to help you do all the accounting behind the scene, and generate a report for you at the end of the tax year

"just"

I love that optimism Tongue We barely have wallets that don't randomly destroy your money or run on iOS...

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
cbutters

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:39:27 PM

"just"

I love that optimism Tongue We barely have wallets that don't randomly destroy your money or run on iOS...

Agreed, I use too many wallets to be able to consolidate them all, and if you trade.... forget about it.
Although some accountants state that reporting requirements would only be for large stakeholders investing and trading, buying a cup of joe or tipping someone would be negligible and not require reporting.

That said, how many people use amazon and/or buy online and ACTUALLY write down all their purchases and report and pay taxes on it? I haven't seen anyone go to prison for tax evasion for buying on amazon.
DrBitcoin

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:47:14 PM

That's very smart of you! Are you from US? If so, not paying your taxes is. Ot only a crime, but it is what SCUMBAGS DO! If you love your country, then don't we need money for schools? What about the road your car drives on? Or bridges? How about parks? He'll...what about that Submarine currently looking for the MH370 plane?

Listen, paying taxes suck! But it is necessary in modern societies. You can debate all you want how crooked politicians waste our tax income, or how taxes are too high...but one thing you SHOULD NOT DO IS NOT PAY YOUR TAXES! That is one of the dumbest AND least patriotic things you can do!  If you love your country, then you must pay your taxes. Period.
NationOwnedCCNow

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 05:59:05 PM

That would be FAR worse, for me at least.  I plan on retiring and paying 0% taxes!  How can I do that if they class it as a currency?

That's very smart of you! Are you from US? If so, not paying your taxes is. Ot only a crime, but it is what SCUMBAGS DO! If you love your country, then don't we need money for schools? What about the road your car drives on? Or bridges? How about parks? He'll...what about that Submarine currently looking for the MH370 plane?

Listen, paying taxes suck! But it is necessary in modern societies. You can debate all you want how crooked politicians waste our tax income, or how taxes are too high...but one thing you SHOULD NOT DO IS NOT PAY YOUR TAXES! That is one of the dumbest AND least patriotic things you can do!  If you love your country, then you must pay your taxes. Period.

What a load of crap. Government Opinion Controller? Or what's Your day-work pal..? Patriots don't pay taxes to a regime that destroys their country. And thinking People ain't that happy about the government stealing their hard-earned Money anyways so.. Schools, parks etc could easily be funded With half the current taxes.

edit: 10% Of current taxes. But then government could hire you to spread government tax-propaganda online and you'd be out of work.. Shocked
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:06:53 PM

Listen, paying taxes suck! But it is necessary in modern societies. You can debate all you want how crooked politicians waste our tax income, or how taxes are too high...but one thing you SHOULD NOT DO IS NOT PAY YOUR TAXES! That is one of the dumbest AND least patriotic things you can do!  If you love your country, then you must pay your taxes. Period.
But what if you don't love your country?

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 07:14:29 PM

That would be FAR worse, for me at least.  I plan on retiring and paying 0% taxes!  How can I do that if they class it as a currency?

Listen, paying taxes suck! But it is necessary in modern societies. You can debate all you want how crooked politicians waste our tax income, or how taxes are too high...but one thing you SHOULD NOT DO IS NOT PAY YOUR TAXES! That is one of the dumbest AND least patriotic things you can do!  If you love your country, then you must pay your taxes. Period.

Your country still loves your tax revenue.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:03:28 PM

Then go to another country where taxes are low or non existent. Don't expect good roads, schools for your kids, police to stop criminals or your garbage to be picked up.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:12:37 PM

LOL, if married you pay 0% cap gains rate if your total income is < $70000... its a tax break for retirees.

Undone

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:15:01 PM

You aren't thinking this through. Treating bitcoins as property for tax purposes makes it hard to spend. If it is hard to spend then nobody will use it. If nobody uses it, then it's value will be 0, and your investment will be worth nothing.
I agree.

And the current ruling makes even less sense from the mining standpoint. Very obnoxious policy.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2014, 08:20:42 PM

I consider it immoral to pay taxes. Listen to Hillary Clinton support the murder of half a million children to support the petrodollar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4PgpbQfxgo

If you have lived in Nazi Germany, would you have helped to hide Jews? Or would you have helped the government? Adolf Eichman obeyed the laws of his country, yet is despised by most people in the world.

dandirk

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:50:18 PM

I consider it immoral to pay taxes. Listen to Hillary Clinton support the murder of half a million children to support the petrodollar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4PgpbQfxgo

If you have lived in Nazi Germany, would you have helped to hide Jews? Or would you have helped the government? Adolf Eichman obeyed the laws of his country, yet is despised by most people in the world.

ha ha ha...  Sorry you are a joke.

Punchline #1:  comparing things to Nazi, Hitler, killing Jews... especially when it comes to arguing against "paying taxes".

Punchline #2:  Did you even read the title of that youtube video?  Give you a hint is wasn't Hillary Clinton...

Go bad to the kids table, come back when you can at a least read a youtube video title.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 09:08:35 PM

This thread just went Godwin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: