Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:14:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hearbleed, do I have to change my password for my wallet file?  (Read 1035 times)
ajk (OP)
Donator

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:44:16 PM

Hi

just wondering if heartbleed is any cause for concern regarding changing my wallets current password, I have never used the 0.9.0 client still on version 0.8.6

will downloading the newest version 0.9.1 fix any of the data leaking concerns/possible theft of bitcoin?

thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 09:43:03 PM

Hi

just wondering if heartbleed is any cause for concern regarding changing my wallets current password, I have never used the 0.9.0 client still on version 0.8.6

will downloading the newest version 0.9.1 fix any of the data leaking concerns/possible theft of bitcoin?

thanks

Since you are running a version older than 0.9.0, you are only at risk if you are running the rpcssl command line option, or have entered that option into your bitcoin.conf.

If you don't know what that is, then you are almost certainly not using it, and therefore don't have to worry about your Bitcoin-Qt being affected by the Heartbleed bug.

Dare

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

Techwolf on #bitcoin and Reddit

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 11:46:36 PM

Hi

thanks

Since you are running a version older than 0.9.0, you are only at risk if you are running the rpcssl command line option, or have entered that option into your bitcoin.conf.

If you don't know what that is, then you are almost certainly not using it, and therefore don't have to worry about your Bitcoin-Qt being affected by the Heartbleed bug.

While this is true, updating to 0.9.1 (which fixes the Heartbleed bug, and is safe) wouldn't be a bad idea. The official announcement (which is currently also in the news section of the forum header) can be found here.

BTC: 1M8oUcBnkRDEhWWgV8ZXLTB6p1mgnejVbX
How Forum Activity Works
Bitcointalk Forum Rules
|
|
|
Firstbits (lucky vanitygen): 1WoLfRUGDx1
How Forum Trust Works
Bitcoin Source Code
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:53:26 PM

Hi

thanks

While this is true, updating to 0.9.1 (which fixes the Heartbleed bug, and is safe) wouldn't be a bad idea. The official announcement (which is currently also in the news section of the forum header) can be found here.

I agree having the newest software is always useful, on the rare occasion 0.9.0 that may be a bit of a problem but updating the QT client now and then is important only a few more to go till we hit 1.0 hehe

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 08:13:52 PM

Hi

thanks

You'd also have to have that port open to the world.  Though if you had any port using openssl open to the world then you were vulnerable.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: