Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:21:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: We have a sustained rally, AND in 1 week is the "Good Wife" Bitcoin episode  (Read 1928 times)
geek-trader (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 03:23:06 AM

Can it be a perfect storm?  In the midst of a rally, mass market America gets their first word about Bitcoin?

I know the episode casts Bitcoin as an "illegal" currency, but I say any press is good press, especially when it's to people who never heard of Bitcoin before.

This can only push the rally higher.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tickets

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 03:31:45 AM

maybe someone should point out to the producers that bitcoin is not in fact illegal... before the episode airs
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 03:32:46 AM

While I am amused by this I feel that the vast majority of viewers will simply think it is a fictional concept made for a fictional show. Sure, some of them might have friends/family that know what bitcoin actually is and educate them, but most won't unfortunately.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 03:40:31 AM

While I am amused by this I feel that the vast majority of viewers will simply think it is a fictional concept made for a fictional show. Sure, some of them might have friends/family that know what bitcoin actually is and educate them, but most won't unfortunately.

This.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
StewartJ

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 03:45:58 AM

I wish 60 Minutes would do a piece on Bitcoins, now that would get some attention.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 03:55:22 AM

Actually...

The word is out...  people have heard about bitcoin..

This show will perk the intrest of many a people, and make them do the ol' google search.... and they will not treat it as a fictional idea..

Wildfire..

Dont forget about CES the same weekend..  And Bitpay has a booth there

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 04:02:37 AM

This can only push the rally higher.

No - it could already be priced in. This means we may just see a 'disappointment-dip' following the episode - just as we saw after a certain overhyped bitcoin conference in New York.

Nevertheless, I think it's a great talking point for bitcoin and is good publicity in the long run even if it has no immediate discernable effect.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Litt

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 04:20:03 AM

I don't think this The Good Wife episode will have any positive effect on bitcoin. I also don't care for people who still watch american television and have my doubts if they have anything positive to even contribute to bitcoin. We'll just have more idiots that think bitcoin is illegal because of some tv show.

Bit-Pay at CES, however, may have some actual impact on the progress of bitcoin and it's acceptance. This imo is a much bigger news to the community.

The time is on bitcoin's side and there is no reason to be excited getting negative media's attention anymore, especially via some fictional drama falsely portraying bitcoin as being illegal. Bitcoin isn't going anywhere and the cat is already out of the bag. The wide acceptance of bitcoin is inevitable thanks to the greed of govs controlling fiats all over the world and the internet. I suppose for speculating on bitcoin price the show may have some effect, but I wouldn't expect any drastic change.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 04:20:13 AM

I wish 60 Minutes would do a piece on Bitcoins, now that would get some attention.

If 60 Minutes USA is anything like 60 Minutes in Australia, it's likely to be a 'zomg' scare piece about drugs and tax evasion.  I hope 60 Minutes don't do a story about bitcoin.  Any publicity is good publicity they say, but there's a limit.

As to why the online currency needs to be illegal in the TV show, it's all to do with not sending the audience to sleep with explaining the nuances of an online currency.  Need to move the story along and keep it interesting, so gotta keep things simple.
somestranger

Activity: 487

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 04:37:05 AM

If 60 Minutes USA is anything like 60 Minutes in Australia, it's likely to be a 'zomg' scare piece about drugs and tax evasion.  I hope 60 Minutes don't do a story about bitcoin.  Any publicity is good publicity they say, but there's a limit.

As to why the online currency needs to be illegal in the TV show, it's all to do with not sending the audience to sleep with explaining the nuances of an online currency.  Need to move the story along and keep it interesting, so gotta keep things simple.

Yes, 60 minutes in America is oftentimes just a bunch of scare stories like you said.
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 04:44:01 AM

Bit-Pay at CES, however, may have some actual impact on the progress of bitcoin and it's acceptance. This imo is a much bigger news to the community.

I think the same.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 04:45:59 AM

New promo vid for the good wife: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BwzF7nhq48

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 05:38:14 AM

You all need to remember that these sorts of things are already priced in.  The upcoming episode and CES conference probably played a major role in the recent rally and sustained price.  The price after these events all depends on whether the episode and conference exceed or fall short of expectations on how impactful they will be to the Bitcoin world.
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:07:10 AM

The only thing more surprising than this BTC buying rally sticking around for this long is the show doing the some  Cheesy  Some bullshit lowest common denominator broadcast television drama that was throw together in like a month to be based off of Elliot Spitzer and other politician's news stories about cheating on their wives is STILL AROUND ALSO?!  Grin I mean what the hell?!  I thought it was one tiny step up from the Geico caveman 30 minutes sitcom that was planned then trashed before it ever started.

I officially offer them 1.284 BTC to stop making that show.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 09:22:41 AM

The only thing more surprising than this BTC buying rally sticking around for this long is the show doing the some  Cheesy  Some bullshit lowest common denominator broadcast television drama that was throw together in like a month to be based off of Elliot Spitzer and other politician's news stories about cheating on their wives is STILL AROUND ALSO?!  Grin I mean what the hell?!  I thought it was one tiny step up from the Geico caveman 30 minutes sitcom that was planned then trashed before it ever started.

I officially offer them 1.284 BTC to stop making that show.

+1

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
echowhiskey

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 09:38:46 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2012, 09:52:40 AM by echowhiskey

You all need to remember that these sorts of things are already priced in.  The upcoming episode and CES conference probably played a major role in the recent rally and sustained price.  The price after these events all depends on whether the episode and conference exceed or fall short of expectations on how impactful they will be to the Bitcoin world.

Is the rise in price priced in?  

I believe bitcoin is the only predictable asset in the world.  Consider how weather affects commodities, share dilution affects stocks, gold is mined at unpredictable rates and even influenced by technical industry demand (which can be affected by nature, such as with the tsunami.)  If it is true that bitcoin is the only predictable asset, then the only variable is crowd psychology.  I think this is why we see such a strong correlation between price and search trends.  

When people start telling their friends they just made $30 on their $20 bitinstant deposit, the crowd will come running in.

Be careful, and don't get ran over.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: