Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:10:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are all these bought bitcoins going?  (Read 2980 times)
Desolator (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:13:12 AM

How am I the only one I see wondering about this?  Someone (and I do mean one because I doubt 1000 people suddenly independently decided it was buying time) bought something like $400,000-700,000 US worth of bitcoins to get it to this price.  I certainly am not hopping on this one until someone knows who.  You can't move that kind of volume without one single person here not knowing if someone is investing or scamming or creating a new business or what.

The most likely situation is that they're purposely causing a slow, seemingly sustained rise to fool people.  Everyone buys after it goes up and up and up for days.  So let's say the math says that one person raised the price by $2.50 and everyone else following along with buying, hoping to make money on the way up, raised it the other $1.50.  One giant sell-off of the entire volume a few days after it levels off a bit to put in some cushion purchase bids and tada, they made money.  Theoretically that one person would make something like the difference in price caused by everyone else on the way back down.  Of course, that assumes that more people buy in than take the opportunity to sell a large stack of their built up BTC.

But seriously, what else would someone have planned for around 100,000 BTC that were just bought?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 06:16:19 AM

Everyone I tell about Bitcoins who can afford some wants a few.  They want to hold them long term because that's what I'm suggesting they do and that's what I'm doing.  But they don't know much about them.  So they buy them and shove them in a drawer or something (paper wallet or physical bitcoins).

This scenario has to be happening all over the place.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
somestranger

Activity: 487
Merit: 500

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:17:49 AM

It's certainly not a single person buying all of these Bitcoins. Like casascius, a lot of people want in on Bitcoin and those that have already been investing all along have likely been purchasing more. I know I have, and look at all of the bullish sentiment echoed on this forum.
SaintFlow

Activity: 476

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:19:34 AM

the rich echolon of our society just closing the leak in their hedge?

After all bitcoin has been around and stays around.

sign to take it serious if you havent

don't let me make you question your assumptions
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:22:21 AM

That reminds me...I haven't been looking into this a lot lately but is there a faster, decent way to do a USD -> BTC transaction?  Going through some never-heard-of 3rd party Paypal clone like dwolla to even be able to use Tradehill or MTGox is enough to turn 99% of the people off immediately.  If there was in the last week or two a new service that opened that lets people use credit cards or personal checks or paypal or something, that would explain the massive buying.  You're right, everyone I know would hop on it for $50 or so if it was easier and more direct.

By the way, I don't think any company should do any of those 3!  Paypal is soooo reversible and chargebacks and stolen credit card usage is a problem for credit cards.  Checks take too long to clear and can be faked and bounce and stuff so that's out.  I dunno, EFT I guess?  That'd be kinda nice.

Anyone know about any new, fast way to get BTC that's causing massive buying?
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:24:12 AM

It's certainly not a single person buying all of these Bitcoins. Like casascius, a lot of people want in on Bitcoin and those that have already been investing all along have likely been purchasing more. I know I have, and look at all of the bullish sentiment echoed on this forum.

I don't get that though.  Every indicator that involves reality instead of pure math said 2 weeks ago BTC was going to either crash permanently or stay at just barely above the average cost of electricity on a mining rig forever.  Who would want to invest in that?
somestranger

Activity: 487

Are You Shpongled?

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:34:00 AM

I think it largely has to do with market confidence. People were proclaiming the imminent death of bitcoin at $2 and this resurgence has shown it's here to stay despite past setbacks. Also, a lot of the kinks have been worked out so to speak; we don't have mtgox getting hacked, mybitcoin running away with money, or a poorly run exchange losing 12000 BTC because they stored their wallet on temporary storage. I think S3052's recent article puts it best: http://hawaiinewsdaily.com/2012/01/breakout-in-the-bitcoin-race/ .
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:41:47 AM

I don't get that though.  Every indicator that involves reality instead of pure math said 2 weeks ago BTC was going to either crash permanently or stay at just barely above the average cost of electricity on a mining rig forever. 

Which indicators are you talking about?  Two weeks ago the bullish sentiment was only slightly less strong than it is today.

Who would want to invest in that?

Any smart investor that has large investments in any traditional markets.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:44:53 AM

It is many people buying, and for different reasons.  OP logic is flawed - sorry.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:57:06 AM

The most likely situation is that they're purposely causing a slow, seemingly sustained rise to fool people.  Everyone buys after it goes up and up and up for days. .....

I'm buying bitcoins because they're going up in price.  I suspect a lot of people are doing the same, thus causing the rapid build up in price.  Ready to sell all at any stage if I feel the market has turned.  It's how bubbles are made and burst.  Last one out the door is the loser  Cheesy
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:04:41 AM

People I've introduced to bitcoin have bought over 1500 BTC in the past month... mostly just for long term speculation, but if smartphone wallet software gets better and more merchants come on board I'm sure they'll be interested in playing around with some of that for spending too.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 12:37:49 PM

Everyone I tell about Bitcoins who can afford some wants a few.  They want to hold them long term because that's what I'm suggesting they do and that's what I'm doing.  But they don't know much about them.  So they buy them and shove them in a drawer or something (paper wallet or physical bitcoins).

I'm very enthusiastic, but for some reason less convincing than you. I've been talking and blogging about Bitcoin since last April, yet only 4-5 friends actually bought any (these purchases were around April-June last year).
I've explained Bitcoin to a lot more people than that, but they usually just ended up saying "it's too dangerous, the value fluctuates too much" and watching from a far.

At first I talked about it so they could have the same chance I had to invest in Bitcoin at low low prices (anywhere under $100-$1000 is low), but after a while I had to stop pushing it so I don't come off like a pyramid scam artist.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 12:45:33 PM

There is also the announcement that bit-pay will be allowing people to buy Bitcoins at the CES trade show using credit cards.

They will need to buy a large amount of bitcoins in order to ensure that they have enough for the show.

That is one place where they are going.

I had personally jumped out a long time ago when it crashed below $4. I jumped out because I was setting up a buy around $1.

I jumped back in because I knew that there was enough going on that the price was primed for a possible jump the likes of June's $30 rally.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
P4man

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 12:48:13 PM

Every indicator that involves reality instead of pure math said 2 weeks ago BTC was going to either crash permanently or stay at just barely above the average cost of electricity on a mining rig forever.  Who would want to invest in that?

Sigh. How often do we need to explain that mining cost is NOT a factor deciding btc price? Mining difficulty (and therefore cost)  is an direct result of btc price, not the other way around.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 12:50:26 PM

Every indicator that involves reality instead of pure math said 2 weeks ago BTC was going to either crash permanently or stay at just barely above the average cost of electricity on a mining rig forever.  Who would want to invest in that?

Sigh. How often do we need to explain that mining cost is NOT a factor deciding btc price? Mining difficulty (and therefore cost)  is an direct result of btc price, not the other way around.

This massive sell-off is a good thing, I think.  Those coins got distributed pretty widely judging by the way bids were stacked up before the dump.  In the long run I think the fewer people with many 10s of thousands of coins, the better.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 12:56:37 PM

Every indicator that involves reality instead of pure math said 2 weeks ago BTC was going to either crash permanently or stay at just barely above the average cost of electricity on a mining rig forever.  Who would want to invest in that?

Sigh. How often do we need to explain that mining cost is NOT a factor deciding btc price? Mining difficulty (and therefore cost)  is an direct result of btc price, not the other way around.

This massive sell-off is a good thing, I think.  Those coins got distributed pretty widely judging by the way bids were stacked up before the dump.  In the long run I think the fewer people with many 10s of thousands of coins, the better.

Like I said... they have 10s of thousands of coins in US dollar form. All they have to do is change it back to btc whenever they want.... possibly gaining more bitcoins than they had before!

Be humble!
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 05:02:28 PM

I'm very enthusiastic, but for some reason less convincing than you. I've been talking and blogging about Bitcoin since last April, yet only 4-5 friends actually bought any (these purchases were around April-June last year).
I've explained Bitcoin to a lot more people than that, but they usually just ended up saying "it's too dangerous, the value fluctuates too much" and watching from a far.

At first I talked about it so they could have the same chance I had to invest in Bitcoin at low low prices (anywhere under $100-$1000 is low), but after a while I had to stop pushing it so I don't come off like a pyramid scam artist.

Yeah, I've tried explaining BTC / cryptocurrency to certain elderly family members, and the general reaction is "sounds like a scam to me!" Lol, well then I'll just keep this BTC to myself!

Ya know, some people are just set in their ways.  These are the same people that thought email / Internet was dangerous because it stepped on territory that "only governments SHOULD have the right" to walk on.

And then there's people that are younger and not so set in their ways, but just don't have the intelligence / global paradigm to soak it all in, or the time to get to that point (too much spent on their 9-5, 3.2 kids, mortgage, etc.)

Remember when only churches had the right to marry people (I don't either -- it was hundreds of years ago).
Everything happens in cycles and quantum jumps.
Nice blog, btw

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2012, 05:11:53 PM

+1

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Desolator (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:25:30 PM

Assuming you people are correct about it being a distributed buying, it's so "all at once" that something must have triggered it.  It took a few days but not long enough to convince people it was a long term trend so it's not just everyone hopping on the bandwagon and buying.  So something made enough people suddenly want to buy it within like a 2-3 day period to raise it by $2+.  Anyone have any ideas as to what it was?
P4man

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 06:30:53 PM

I know exactly what it is:

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: