Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:50:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rain and snow took out my miners....  (Read 2150 times)
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:03:55 AM

Well, it was bound to happen. I have moved about 300gh of my mining power out to my solar powered shed to take some of the heat load off the house. Today we had massive rain and snow in MD, and in the afternoon I got a note that the shed miners were offline. Figured they tripped the GFCI.

Nope. Shed door had blown open and rain blew in. Got one of my Corsairs wet (had to be the 750), it's dead as a doornail. Not sure why. However when I moved a spare power supply in, two of the units didn't come up: My Chili and one of my 50gh Single boards.

The Chili is dead, barely starts the fans, no lights. The Single comes up but no USB. My guess is the power supply faulted and took out the FTDI chip somehow, which is odd since the PSU is grounded and everything is on GFCI's. Great, the 100gh of hashing and $80 power supply failed to protect the $5.00 GFCI socket.

Everything else is up and running again and I have latched the door. 32 degrees out now, I'm sure it will be in the 80's tomorrow. Gotta love climate change....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sorryforthat

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:18:14 AM

Couldnt something like that be covered by insurance. Worth the investment next go around.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:25:25 AM

Couldnt something like that be covered by insurance. Worth the investment next go around.
Perhaps, however given the residual value of the miners and my "I'll deal" sentiments I'll eat the damage. I will however consider reloating any future miners under the bench or something :-)
sorryforthat

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:41:36 AM

I would check through everything. If you rent, maybe your it includes a certain amount of renters insuarnce? Thats how it works for me, 10 dollars extra a month, didnt know I even had it for the longest time.
madsusies

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

BitcoinEvo [$XBTE]

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:44:35 AM

Pictures pleaseeeeeeeee  Shocked

▬▬ • • •  BITCOINEVO $XBTE FREE AIRDROP LIVE NOW   • • • ▬▬
▌▌  Secure, decentralised & distributed cryptocurrency with sidechain technology*, on-chain dapps support*, xPoS and zero-proof anonymous transactions*.  ▐▐
sorryforthat

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:55:01 AM

Your the guy who causes traffic on the HWY to come a hault becuase of an accident on the side of the road. Arnt you?
Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 03:56:47 AM

Can you post pictures.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:00:23 AM

Bag of rice can't save em or are they totally fried?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:00:29 AM

Ah that sucks well lesson learnt lock the shed and make sure there are no leaks

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:14:04 AM

Bag of rice can't save em or are they totally fried?
Not sure. The Corsair has a faint smell of burned inside it, I've got it in front of the fireplace insert for the evening to dry out. Will see tomorrow.

The miners were not wet at all, what I think happened is that the 750 either threw 120 volts onto the 12v line briefly or something that caused the units to go to ground through the USB lines. Which makes no sense as the Corsairs are pretty high quality power supplies, and I have everything plugged into GFCIs explicitly to catch a ground fault before it exceeds 10ma. All GFCIs are tested good. Also odd that two jalapenos were plugged into the same supply and are fine. Odd.

Not a BFL issue as the Chili is even more screwed up. I can fix the Single pretty easily, just pull the FTDI chip and replace. However unlike BFL Mr. Teal has not released any schematics or code so I can't easily troubleshoot the Chili.

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 04:15:20 AM

Can you post pictures.
Sure, I'll post them tomorrow or something. It's just a tangle of wires and such in a work shed, but the solar panels on the roof are cool (1.5kw on the main shed, 1kw on the second shed, Sunny Boy 1800/700's doing the grid tie)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 07:10:54 AM

Sorry to hear about your loss....but,did you do your solar yourself Huh  I'm VERY interested in your setup,model #'s & wiring info.

I live in Fla & have conflicting info from many sources on compatibility of panels,gridtie inverters & lots of other supposed issues.

I need experience & expertise I guess,which in solar I lack ATM  Sad

Thanks for any sharing any insight  Wink

Hope you get back to "normal" ASAP bro  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
inzli

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 07:19:42 AM

When's the funeral? Picture of it, please.

No, honestly, sorry to hear this. But I also would be interested in your solution regarding solar power...
madsusies

Activity: 428

BitcoinEvo [$XBTE]

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:01:42 PM

Your the guy who causes traffic on the HWY to come a hault becuase of an accident on the side of the road. Arnt you?
LoL bro i am from East Europe  Grin no HWY

▬▬ • • •  BITCOINEVO $XBTE FREE AIRDROP LIVE NOW   • • • ▬▬
▌▌  Secure, decentralised & distributed cryptocurrency with sidechain technology*, on-chain dapps support*, xPoS and zero-proof anonymous transactions*.  ▐▐
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 07:45:54 PM

don't post any pics..   everyone asking are IRS agents that will show up to your door to ask you about your taxes and also bring a local property inspector to check your permits for that shed, bill an engineer for code inspection on your behalf and raise your tax rate

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:36:14 PM

don't post any pics..   everyone asking are IRS agents that will show up to your door to ask you about your taxes and also bring a local property inspector to check your permits for that shed, bill an engineer for code inspection on your behalf and raise your tax rate

Since the shed is on the plat documents (it's actually from the 1880's) and everything is above board that's not a problem. It's also insured but I'm not going to bother with that for a dead miner.

The solar system is doing well: I just checked and it's putting out a total of 6.6kw per day which helps to offset the miners to an extent. Likewise all 10 miners in the shed are running normally, pumping 380gh into the blockchain.

I'll start working on the miner this evening. Might as well take a look.

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:38:12 PM

Well, I got the Chili working, looking at the CPU under a loupe I could see that there was copper sulfate on the CPU chips which meant it was wet and running for a time period before the power supply blew. Must have been one hell of a storm. Cleaned the chips with isopropyl alcohol and it comes up sometimes when fired. Running now on a BFL single/30 supply, will see if it holds.

Also tried replacing the fuse on the PSU and the house breaker tripped. Wow. Took the Corsair power supply apart and I can see damage on the underside of the power board by the HV switching capacitor. Looks like water pooled under the board where the components were, aided by the plastic insulator, and blew things sky high. I'm guessing the FETs shorted, wow.

The Single is operational but needs the FTDI chip replaced. That's the project for tonight. However since I am one PSU short, running it is going to be a trifle complex. Hm.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 04:25:45 AM

Well, I got the Chili working, looking at the CPU under a loupe I could see that there was copper sulfate on the CPU chips which meant it was wet and running for a time period before the power supply blew. Must have been one hell of a storm. Cleaned the chips with isopropyl alcohol and it comes up sometimes when fired. Running now on a BFL single/30 supply, will see if it holds.

Also tried replacing the fuse on the PSU and the house breaker tripped. Wow. Took the Corsair power supply apart and I can see damage on the underside of the power board by the HV switching capacitor. Looks like water pooled under the board where the components were, aided by the plastic insulator, and blew things sky high. I'm guessing the FETs shorted, wow.

The Single is operational but needs the FTDI chip replaced. That's the project for tonight. However since I am one PSU short, running it is going to be a trifle complex. Hm.

Pictures so us visual learners have some perspective of your plight.

Nice that you can salvage in this situation. Keep Calm and Carry C3H8O.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Gazza1

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 07:33:23 AM

I'm sorry for your loss bro =/

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:51:05 AM

LOL, there's so much bullshit in the Bitcoin world nobody believes it until they've seen a photo/video is all. Wink

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: