Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:51:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Android Mk802 + ubuntu 12.04 + bitmain Antminer u2  (Read 6275 times)
myk3916 (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 06:45:14 AM
Last edit: August 18, 2014, 03:07:14 PM by myk3916

The title says it all: Android Mk802 + ubuntu 12.04 + bitmain Antminer

1usd - 0.00205 BTC: 185DzHCwvuRmymLvBkNDYiteP9SssY1nbK donations accepted!

YouTube VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlkgYfIbwVI&feature=youtu.be

GUIDE :

Grab an 8gb sd micro, and follow this guide to install linux:
Code:
http://rikomagic.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90

After installing ubuntu pull up a terminal and:
Code:
Get all your dependencies and build bfgminer there are several packages, 
like libusb1.0.0-dev and jansson-dev that you are going to have to manually
download first, then build, and then install because they are not in the apt-get repo.

depending on what hardware you are running you can customize for specific miners
read the readme for all custom hardware builds:
https://github.com/luke-jr/bfgminer/blob/bfgminer/README
https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/blob/master/README

basic build setup:

sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake libtool pkg-config libcurl4-gnutls-dev
libcurl4-openssl-dev libjansson-dev uthash-dev libncurses5-dev libncursesw5-dev libpdcurses
libudev-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libevent-dev libmicrohttpd-dev hidapi libcurl3-dev

(if you get errors for missing packages, or cannot find, you will have to manually find and download
build and install these seperate before building the bfgminer or cgminer)

Code:
Download bfgminer and cgminer here:
(bfgminer) http://luke.dashjr.org/programs/bitcoin/files/bfgminer/latest/
(cgminer) https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/archive/master.zip

then build:

(cgminer)
extract bfgminer into its own dir and navigate to that dir
in terminal:
(you might not need the sudo commands, i used them and it worked fine.
and also read the readme for how to configure the build for different hardware.)

sudo ./autogen.sh
sudo CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./configure <options>
sudo make

DONE! run bfgminer using:
./cgminer [-DdElmpPQqUsTouOchnV]

(bfgminer)
extract bfgminer into its own dir and navigate to that dir
in terminal:
(you might not need the sudo commands, i used them and it worked fine.
and also read the readme for how to configure the build for different hardware.)

sudo ./autogen.sh
sudo ./configure
sudo make

DONE! run bfgminer using:
./bfgminer [-DdElmpPQqUsTouOchnV]

Notes:
Code:
i would also suggest installing cgminers dependencies before building, and i
will tell you why, i am not exactly sure why either.  i built bfgminer first, didnt work,
then tried cgminer, almost worked, then on a hunch rebuilt bfgminer and it worked,
even ran a little better.  i think some of the dependencies for the different hardware
assists somehow? (but i have also heard the history about how the writer started
bfgminer... he originally worked on cgminer and they split?) you can just watch your
depends when you run ./configure but i tested this 4-5 times and it just seemed
better everytime to build cgminer first then abandon it, if you are going to use bfgminer,
and why not have a copy of cgminer laying around anyways?

took me about a week to come up with the idea, i ordered a antminer u2... and found a couple things laying around the house and put it all together. was kinda hard because no one had done this before and there was no resources, so i put it all together. lots of issues troubleshooting in the beginning, and the last problem from which i hear is a big one, i had a bad usb hub (actually the one in the video, but its changed now)... fixed that!, running great now!

I will advise you to be warned about the usb port, it has been said, pulling energy off it isnt a good idea because the device runs 300mah, the regulator in the device inside has been know to reject drain devices.  do it right and start with a powered hub.

finally got around to doing a little modification... looks nice now!

Update:

8/18/14: http://www.stane1983.com/amlinux/ Linux was finally built for my new android device, it was too new at the time to use, finally there is Linux support so I will be testing my script hardware, I have purchased over $4,000 in asics, Zeus, gawminers, Bitmain, etc, right now I'm running a pcduino for a controller, but would love this more powerful device to power everything. Might be possible to setup a LAMP server (Linux apache mysql php) with p2pool or nomp or mpos as well for solo mining low difficulty coins.

4/26/14: purchased my new android today... not sure its gonna work, but its the most powerful one on the market with a quad core cpu and octa core gpu... not sure what OPENLINUX is, but i guess im gonna find out... hope i can get linux-linux on it...
amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Vega-S89-Android-Amlogic/dp/B00JGGK8II/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398499443&sr=8-1&keywords=s802

4/23/14: havent been home for a week and its still hashing while im at work. it did have one problem and stopped but i think and believe it was a server pool dns problem, not with the unit itself, two hours later it was running at full speed again.

4/17/14: its running great, been going since i made the post, and still going, very stable, i even added cool wallpaper

donate: 185DzHCwvuRmymLvBkNDYiteP9SssY1nbK
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:13:29 PM

im pretty sure ill get it, eventually but can anyone help with ubuntu 12.04 autologin, cant get it to work, and also, i need autostart too... (start miner app right after auto login...?!)

last two pieces of code i need...

Chrithu

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:33:38 AM

This idea is great. Will look into it myself.

myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 10:01:35 AM

Why thank you!

Yes i looked up power specs... 300mah

Sound good or what??

If someone is willing to help get those 2 last pieces of code I will post a flashable image and guide to walk you through it. I'm at work right now and won't be available for at least a week to finalize the code but if someone can Help finish it I will do it. When I do have access to my computer. (Im out driving my 18 wheeler i wish i could take muddin!! Lol)

myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 10:10:37 AM

I'm actually going to build the quad core next, the idea is fully automatic, so all you have to do is turn it on and you don't even need a monitor or screen.

I don't believe anyone else has accomplished this yet and I might have been the first.  I only started mining about a week ago and had a couple things laying around the house that I decided to use to improvise.

when I get home from work next week wait until I post my new idea.. you're gonna love it but you're going to have to wait as well..

tamb0r

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 11:39:02 AM

Wow ! Very interested in this.Waiting for the guide. Will it run more than 1 ant miner if you use a powered usb hub ?
myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:13:41 PM

yes I am very sure it will run 20 antminers on a powered hub...

its basically a linux desktop and will work just like a computer

tamb0r

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 09:13:41 PM

I think you are using picuntu am I right?
myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 09:23:43 PM

no, it is officially ubuntu 12.04, not picuntu or lubuntu or any other

i tried ubuntu version 10.04 first and it was totally incompatible, the software couldnt find the tty ports to talk to the devices....

i did get it to recognize it, and lsusb would see it.. but bfgminer and cgminer wouldnt do it

tamb0r

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 09:49:00 PM

You made me think of doing something like this  Grin. I have a gridseed dualminer which mines scrypt coins. I also will buy an android stick mk802ii or mk802 mk808b or something similar. I will also post the results if I get to do it
myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 11:15:08 PM

if bfgminer or cgminer is capable with the hardware all you have to do i think is change the command line to scrypt..

its a very good idea, 300mah is very low running cost... its why i came up with it... i was hoping maybe i could sell a couple eventually...

but right now im working on getting btc's for my antminers so i can get a quadcore android mk802iv ...

i guess i should accept btc donations if anyone wants to support my idea...

myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 11:24:37 PM

Im a truck driver, and i left my antminer u2 running at home since i left thursday, and its been running since the day i got it working... i am monitoring it thru api access, and its still going like the little energizer bunny....

i managed to travel all the way to michigan from california, and im on my way back to california, and like i said.. its still going.. pretty stable...

ive heard you can do this with an android phone and an otg cable, within android, but you have to rebuild a kernel to allow usbtty access... this just seems a little easier.... plus android os wont let you use a usb hub... i think you can only plug one device in.... so this way it just seems more logical

Chrithu

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:09:53 AM

Looks like it is coming along nicely.

I wondered: Have you considered using a more configurable distro, like debian or even gentoo, in order to have a very lightweight linux installation that is tailored to the purpose?

Like only the kernel with networking stuff, hardware drivers and mining software along with whatever is needed to provide a webinterface for the mining software and no X11 or desktop (Gnome,KDE).

myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:27:00 AM

Yeah I considered gentoo... But ultimately went with ubuntu... I was gonna try linux box style, but figured you could login to your pool and watch stats, run api software, hardware monitors on screen, and wallet stuff if you had to... Built in ticker...

In short.. Yes it wasconsidered, but a customizable graphical interface seemed good...

This version im running has 0% lag... And is quick to respond... Even for a 1ghz i was supprised... It runs better than the stock android..

Chrithu

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:48:20 AM

Yeah I considered gentoo... But ultimately went with ubuntu... I was gonna try linux box style, but figured you could login to your pool and watch stats, run api software, hardware monitors on screen, and wallet stuff if you had to... Built in ticker...

In short.. Yes it wasconsidered, but a customizable graphical interface seemed good...

This version im running has 0% lag... And is quick to respond... Even for a 1ghz i was supprised... It runs better than the stock android..

Lol pretty much any linux runs better than stock android. At least that is my experience.

But yeah I see your point for going with graphical. I mean the android stick isn't doing much anyways beyond running the mining software and communicating with the pool.

Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:53:15 AM

yeah, im not alone Cheesy

ordered some of them 3 weeks ago, still in transit
but want to use them for Scripta
whitegrey

Activity: 175
Merit: 113

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 11:39:51 AM

This seems very interesting to me (as I currently run 2x U1 and 6x U2+ with an old VIA EPIA 600Mhz board and as I'm looking for smaller solutions at the moment)! Thank you for the thread and infos!

To me this "package" looks way nicer then a Raspberry PI (lower power consumption, less DIY casing, full fledged Linux)...
myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:24:57 PM

They do get a little warm... Might need diy cooling... And wireless keyboards are nice too!

myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2014, 12:28:01 AM

updated install instructions to build everything! enjoy!

1usd - 0.00205 BTC: 185DzHCwvuRmymLvBkNDYiteP9SssY1nbK donations accepted!

myk3916 (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2014, 10:14:56 PM

got 2 ants now, and i can access one thru wifi, but think there is a big problem with it... cause it wont get online and i have a netgear wireless to cable connector setup.  these things are very painfully hard to configure sometimes....

i also bought a killawatt

i also exchanged my thermaltake and got a corsair 1050hx, the corsair seems alot better

still got problems... i think the wifi card in the new antminer is defective... it says connected to router but wont hash to server...

i also bought a new android tv, but i havent got around to setting it up....

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: