Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:41:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you feel the BitcoinBetas-operated award poll was operated as a scam?
No, it was completely fair. - 10 (31.3%)
Yes, but not intentionally. - 5 (15.6%)
Yes, a complete fraud. - 17 (53.1%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bitcoin Awards/Favorites of 2011" a scam... but a good idea  (Read 2362 times)
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:35:05 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2012, 04:02:54 AM by Luke-Jr

As should be obvious by now (I guess the poll will tell how obvious...), the Bitcoin Awards for 2011 run by BitcoinBetas is a complete scam. Since the general idea of having an awards contest is a good idea, I am asking all the winners to redonate the winnings to a new contest run fairly - by whom? I don't know, any volunteers?

Anyhow, obvious poll options missing from BitcoinBetas's polls (and yes, they were nominated):
  • BTCGuild
  • ABCPool.co
  • Eligius
  • yourbtc.net
  • p2pool
  • poclbm
  • Amir Taaki
  • Art Forz
  • Jeff Garzik
  • Joel Katz
  • Luke Dashjr
  • Mark Karpeles
  • Martti Malmi
  • Matt Corallo
  • Michael Marquardt
  • Mike Hearn
  • Nils Schneider
  • Patrick McFarland
  • Pieter Wuille
  • Satoshi Nakamoto (he wasn't really involved in Bitcoin in 2011 I guess)
  • BitEgg/BitPizza
  • Coincard/Coinpal

(before asking "who?", see https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/People )

Furthermore, when I brought up the concern of vandalism during nominations, I was told it was under control and not to worry about it. When I pointed out these major problems immediately after the poll options were public, BitcoinBetas basically said he had no clue about these obvious choices, and refused to fix it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 07:42:08 PM

Emailed to BitcoinBetas's "award" winners:
Quote from: luke-jr
I couldn't find emails to CC some people. If you know how they can be reached, please forward them this email. Not CC'd winners:
  SilkRoad, CosbyCoin, Platos, Wired, Phinnaeus Gage, Atlas, and MyBitcoin.com

Since BitcoinBetas's award ceremony was clearly operated as a scam, would you guys (who won the polls) be willing to donate your winnings to a newly organized awards ceremony for the same purpose, in hopes of holding it fairly?
Obviously if you really deserve the award, you will just get it back anyway.

Please see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57325.0 for details.

Luke

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 02:54:01 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56887

bitcoinbetas

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 03:27:47 PM

Good luck !!your going to run into all the same stuff lol
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 05:05:22 PM

Not everyone is completely incompetent and/or a scammer.

buttcoin

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 05:33:10 PM

As should be obvious by now (I guess the poll will tell how obvious...), the Bitcoin Awards for 2011 run by BitcoinBetas is a complete scam. Since the general idea of having an awards contest is a good idea, I am asking all the winners to redonate the winnings to a new contest run fairly - by whom? I don't know, any volunteers?

Anyhow, obvious poll options missing from BitcoinBetas's polls (and yes, they were nominated):
  • BTCGuild
  • ABCPool.co
  • Eligius
  • yourbtc.net
  • p2pool
  • poclbm
  • Amir Taaki
  • Art Forz
  • Jeff Garzik
  • Joel Katz
  • Luke Dashjr
  • Mark Karpeles
  • Martti Malmi
  • Matt Corallo
  • Michael Marquardt
  • Mike Hearn
  • Nils Schneider
  • Patrick McFarland
  • Pieter Wuille
  • BitEgg/BitPizza
  • Coincard/Coinpal

Furthermore, when I brought up the concern of vandalism during nominations, I was told it was under control and not to worry about it. When I pointed out these major problems immediately after the poll options were public, BitcoinBetas basically said he had no clue about these obvious choices, and refused to fix it.

How is it a "scam"? Who got ripped off, who lost money, who was misrepresented, who gained/profited? Or is it just a scam because you didn't like the nominees?

Are the Oscars a scam? The Grammys? Surely there are people who deserved to be nominated but weren't, but those people don't call the Oscars a scam, do they?

Or how about you form your own award ceremony? The Oscars and Emmys have the Golden Globes and SAG awards, nothing is preventing you from having the Coinnys or whatever you want. There's plenty of room for more than one end-of-year award ceremony.

Or are you just throwing a tantrum like a child, calling the sky is falling because someone didn't get nominated? Something is unfair because your choices didn't get picked?

Also bitcoinbeta, I and CosbyCoin can be reached at http://buttcoin.org/contact , but I prefer you donate any bitcoins to charity, preferably the Thailand Relief Fund

Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 05:40:27 PM

How is it a "scam"?
I believe my first post explained this clearly.

Who got ripped off, who lost money, who was misrepresented, who gained/profited?
The donors were ripped off, because they were led to believe it would be used to reward the results of a sane/fair poll.
Or is it just a scam because you didn't like the nominees?
My main point is that all these very valid candidates were in fact nominated, and BitcoinBetas assured us that he would moderate the vandals taking them off the wiki-spreadsheet before making his final lists of candidates. Then instead of doing so, he went and ran with what was de facto a very vandalized "nomination list".

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 06:30:23 PM

Here's my take which in no way agrees, or disagrees, with Luke-Jr.

I donated 1 BTC to that endeavor, caring less what happens to the coin(s). It wasn't run as tight I would have liked it to be, but I'll assume he did his best. Prior to this, there wasn't an award thingy. Now there's possibly a second one in the works. Therefore, even if this is considered a total fuck up, something good has come of it. I feel that no major harm was done, but am also glad to see this thread, Luke-Jr.

As far as the Oscars is concerned, the very first one was considered a scam at the time. The best actor was robbed of receiving his award. He was taken off the list, although he was the best actor at that time and for years to follow. Care to give a stab of who that actor was? (question directed toward the reader and not at Luke-Jr specifically)

~Bruno~
bitcoinbetas

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 09:19:35 PM

Not everyone is completely incompetent and/or a scammer.

please inform us how this was a scam? you never provided any evidence. I have plenty of people who message me telling me about you and to just ignore you as a troll.  Your just pissed off because it wasn't perfect. Nobody is perfect. Grow up!
bitcoinbetas

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 09:21:23 PM

• BTCGuild
  • ABCPool.co
  • Eligius
  • yourbtc.net
  • p2pool
  • poclbm
  • Amir Taaki
  • Art Forz
  • Jeff Garzik
  • Joel Katz
  • Luke Dashjr
  • Mark Karpeles
  • Martti Malmi
  • Matt Corallo
  • Michael Marquardt
  • Mike Hearn
  • Nils Schneider
  • Patrick McFarland
  • Pieter Wuille
  • BitEgg/BitPizza
  • Coincard/Coinpal

How is it a "scam"? Who got ripped off, who lost money, who was misrepresented, who gained/profited? Or is it just a scam because you didn't like the nominees?

Are the Oscars a scam? The Grammys? Surely there are people who deserved to be nominated but weren't, but those people don't call the Oscars a scam, do they?

Or how about you form your own award ceremony? The Oscars and Emmys have the Golden Globes and SAG awards, nothing is preventing you from having the Coinnys or whatever you want. There's plenty of room for more than one end-of-year award ceremony.

Or are you just throwing a tantrum like a child, calling the sky is falling because someone didn't get nominated? Something is unfair because your choices didn't get picked?

Also bitcoinbeta, I and CosbyCoin can be reached at http://buttcoin.org/contact , but I prefer you donate any bitcoins to charity, preferably the Thailand Relief Fund

I'll reach you offer at your contact.  This Luke Jr. guy is a character lol no wonder he got 2nd place in "worst forum member" category! sure sounds like my poll was accurate!
bitcoinbetas

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 09:27:23 PM

Emailed to BitcoinBetas's "award" winners:
Quote from: luke-jr
I couldn't find emails to CC some people. If you know how they can be reached, please forward them this email. Not CC'd winners:
  SilkRoad, CosbyCoin, Platos, Wired, Phinnaeus Gage, Atlas, and MyBitcoin.com

Since BitcoinBetas's award ceremony was clearly operated as a scam, would you guys (who won the polls) be willing to donate your winnings to a newly organized awards ceremony for the same purpose, in hopes of holding it fairly?
Obviously if you really deserve the award, you will just get it back anyway.

Please see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=57325.0 for details.

Luke

oh by the way this is made up ^^ I just caught this while reading this thread. Luke Jr. you should be ashamed for making up shit like that.  I never said I couldn't find the emails I said to email us. You idiot.  Everyone DO NOT TRUST LUKE jr. he is now making shit up and now is trying to create a scam around his new "poll".
bitcoinbetas

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 09:34:32 PM

I donated 1 BTC to that endeavor, caring less what happens to the coin(s). It wasn't run as tight I would have liked it to be, but I'll assume he did his best. Prior to this, there wasn't an award thingy. Now there's possibly a second one in the works. Therefore, even if this is considered a total fuck up, something good has come of it. I feel that no major harm was done, but am also glad to see this thread, Luke-Jr.

As far as the Oscars is concerned, the very first one was considered a scam at the time. The best actor was robbed of receiving his award. He was taken off the list, although he was the best actor at that time and for years to follow. Care to give a stab of who that actor was? (question directed toward the reader and not at Luke-Jr specifically)

~Bruno~

Email me at contact@bitcoinbetas.com to send payment thanks Bruno.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:40:44 PM

~Bruno~

Email me at contact@bitcoinbetas.com to send payment thanks Bruno.

Listen, it's great and all that you wanted to participate in the community. Everyone should be more like that. The problem here is that you didn't do a good job and the contest really only served to boost your blog ratings. As I mentioned before, I'm sure we all appreciate the effort because it's very uncommon for people to get involved in the community and risk embarrassment (as you did and are being) but having thick skin will save you here.

That said, you have no excuse for why this was held so poorly and it is in fact a sham. Nice try though! If you're willing to try again, maybe people would take you seriously!

teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 11:20:54 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2012, 01:45:11 AM by teflone

The awards to me mean nothing..

It was very very poorly done..   that was evident early on..

Plus I kept submitting Bitminter Java miner as GPU miner software.. and it kept getting deleted.  why ?

So the whole thing was a joke, I dont think they meant to be a scam though.

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 11:22:46 PM

I wonder if we'd have this thread if luke-jr and eligius had been left in almost every category like they had been at one point...

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 11:23:36 PM

I wonder if we'd have this thread if luke-jr and eligius had been left in almost every category like they had been at one point...
The poll results suggest "yes".

deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 11:30:47 PM

The poll results suggest "yes".

Now that i've looked at the results they're about right across the board in spite of some misnominations whining just to be heard isn't a good way to get attention

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
bitcoinbetas

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:22:29 AM

Matthew I love how this is a "sham" with no evidence must be fun  making up bullshit? I guess since your a hero member you can't make an ass out yourself anymore lol what a joke yours bigger ass.

Clearly, you and anyone who whines didn't like the fact they didn't get there way. It doesn't get any more transparent then the way I did it people can nominate and un-nominate simple and straight forward. If you dont like I told you go create your own but to call it sham ? Nah that's worth calling you out on it.
Minute you put someone as nominated and don't like it by your account anyone can discredit it.?  Will welcome the real world it doesn't work that way.

Nobody else could do this because there is no "perfect" way.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 01:30:50 AM

Matthew I love how this is a "sham" with no evidence must be fun  making up bullshit? I guess since your a hero member you can't make an ass out yourself anymore lol what a joke yours bigger ass.

Clearly, you and anyone who whines didn't like the fact they didn't get there way. It doesn't get any more transparent then the way I did it people can nominate and un-nominate simple and straight forward. If you dont like I told you go create your own but to call it sham ? Nah that's worth calling you out on it.
Minute you put someone as nominated by your account anyone can discredit it.?  Will welcome the real world it doesn't work that way.

When I say sham, I'm talking about basic protocols we would all expect from someone running a contest of any kind. So you go to a friend's house and they're playing poker. He invites you to play and you agree. Next thing you know, he accidentally sees the cards he is dealing himself but says "oops! no worries" and keeps dealing, skipping the cards he doesn't want. Then he accidentally messes up his chips with yours, and says "oops! can't be perfect!" and just grabs a handful of chips from you "just in case" his got mixed in. Then he tells everyone there is a fire and to get out. Turns out it was a false alarm, and when you get back, all the cards are gone and he said that he went ahead and took the money because he had won the game and didn't see the need to prove it since he knows what he's doing and "nobody is perfect".

Your argument is that we shouldn't care about the game so much. Okay, but if a game is worth playing, shouldn't it be fair for everyone involved? Where do you draw the line? I know my example is a bit extreme, but why didn't you ask the community for their ideas on how to do it better? Why, when people pointed out to you that nominees shouldn't be removable by random anonymous individuals you kept going with a wide open google document, and then why oh god why, did after you ADMIT you made mistakes and "oops!" messed something up, did you not stop the entire thing, admit your fault, find a better way to do it, and redo it correctly?

Luke Jr is straight and to the point. He's not wrong, he's just coming off like he's got a grudge against you. That may because he thinks you're actually a scammer. Me personally, I think you were just trying to do something fun for the community. I had fun. Thanks for providing the fun. The problem is, I'm also a perfectionist, and the neighborhood knowitall. That means that once I know how to do something better, I'm going to share it. When you plant your fingers firmly in your ear canals and tell me that knowing is not important, then you create a situation where judgments can be made against your character.

Is that what you want? Is name calling doing anything for you? Wouldn't it be right to just restart the whole thing and not make Luke and I feel the noble and responsible thing to do is just do it bigger, right in front of you to show your stubborn self how it's done right?

I am not even that interested in hosting one myself. Why would I really want to probably pay 12 BTC myself just to 12 strangers I don't know? Why? Because I, like you, want to do something fun and interesting for the community. The difference oh naive friend, is that I wouldn't leave the community out of the decision making, something a poll is designed to facilitate.

Your turn.

bitcoinbetas

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 03:23:57 AM

Minute you put someone as nominated by your account anyone can discredit it.?  Will welcome the real world it doesn't work that way.

When I say sham, I'm talking about basic protocols we would all expect from someone running a contest of any kind. So you go to a friend's house and they're playing poker. He invites you to play and you agree. Next thing you know, he accidentally sees the cards he is dealing himself but says "oops! no worries" and keeps dealing, skipping the cards he doesn't want. Then he accidentally messes up his chips with yours, and says "oops! can't be perfect!" and just grabs a handful of chips from you "just in case" his got mixed in. Then he tells everyone there is a fire and to get out. Turns out it was a false alarm, and when you get back, all the cards are gone and he said that he went ahead and took the money because he had won the game and didn't see the need to prove it since he knows what he's doing and "nobody is perfect".

Your argument is that we shouldn't care about the game so much. Okay, but if a game is worth playing, shouldn't it be fair for everyone involved? Where do you draw the line? I know my example is a bit extreme, but why didn't you ask the community for their ideas on how to do it better? Why, when people pointed out to you that nominees shouldn't be removable by random anonymous individuals you kept going with a wide open google document, and then why oh god why, did after you ADMIT you made mistakes and "oops!" messed something up, did you not stop the entire thing, admit your fault, find a better way to do it, and redo it correctly?

Luke Jr is straight and to the point. He's not wrong, he's just coming off like he's got a grudge against you. That may because he thinks you're actually a scammer. Me personally, I think you were just trying to do something fun for the community. I had fun. Thanks for providing the fun. The problem is, I'm also a perfectionist, and the neighborhood knowitall. That means that once I know how to do something better, I'm going to share it. When you plant your fingers firmly in your ear canals and tell me that knowing is not important, then you create a situation where judgments can be made against your character.

Is that what you want? Is name calling doing anything for you? Wouldn't it be right to just restart the whole thing and not make Luke and I feel the noble and responsible thing to do is just do it bigger, right in front of you to show your stubborn self how it's done right?

I am not even that interested in hosting one myself. Why would I really want to probably pay 12 BTC myself just to 12 strangers I don't know? Why? Because I, like you, want to do something fun and interesting for the community. The difference oh naive friend, is that I wouldn't leave the community out of the decision making, something a poll is designed to facilitate.

Your turn.

Fair enough I respect what you have to say. Now keep in mind  a "year end awards" mean year end so I admit I was limited on time so could have allocated more time to getting this set up and asking the community like you said. Like I said many,many times before this wasn't a scientific poll and could be improved on for next year. Luke Jr  claimed on the other thread that somehow I told everyone this poll was gospel truth ? I never claimed it be 100 percent accurate. In fact, I think Luke Jr. was complaining the minute the poll went up he had it out for me from the beginning (I think he was the second to reply on the main thread!).

Maybe, I wasn't clear on the "rules" a concede that point. I only name-called on people who make up stuff in reality name calling gets nowhere.  As for "fairness" of it the only way I could come up with is a open google document and go with the "last man standing" principle.  So maybe that was error or maybe it wasn't. I learned a lesson. I acknowledged everyone who said "vandalism" going with yes I have a "back up" copy that was only meant to say I don't want ALL of it gone NOT that I HAVE what you nominated saved! I think Luke Jr mis-interpreted what I said as if I was saving who he was nominating.

So basically the lesson to be learned here is how do we want people to be nominated?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: