Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:45:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Bitcoin to Eliminate Profits  (Read 1331 times)
5flags (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 01:07:59 PM

Here's fun, how might this work?

I'm a company, I want to reduce my profit to zero to not pay income tax. So at the end of every tax year, I invest my profit in Bitcoins, which are property, rendering a zero profit.

After N years, I "lose" the private key or my coins are "stolen", so we right off the property and close the business down. I now move to another country, miraculously find my private key, tumble the coins and buy a small Island in the South Pacific.

Would this be awesomeness?

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:24:41 PM

Do that and tell us how it works out for you.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 01:28:51 PM

Do that and tell us how it works out for you.

I don't need to. I don't give the illusion of paying taxes Smiley

dogechode

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:31:00 PM

There's a word for that I think it's fraud? This is similar to someone running up a credit card balance with no intention of paying it, then declaring bankruptcy. If they can prove you did it intentionally, you are in a world of shit.
nkocevar

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:33:34 PM

Not a good idea. I'm sure there is some sort of international law that would prevent you from doing this

5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 01:43:58 PM

There's a word for that I think it's fraud? This is similar to someone running up a credit card balance with no intention of paying it, then declaring bankruptcy. If they can prove you did it intentionally, you are in a world of shit.

Of course it would be illegal in the state in which your company was registered...I wasn't suggesting it would be legal. But I was suggesting that you would be in a different country.

5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 01:45:58 PM

Not a good idea. I'm sure there is some sort of international law that would prevent you from doing this

Tax matters aren't governed by international law, but by domestic law and by treaty. If the coins remained dormant for years, how would they know that they weren't actually stolen?

dogechode

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:46:52 PM

Of course it would be illegal in the state in which your company was registered...I wasn't suggesting it would be legal. But I was suggesting that you would be in a different country.

Ever heard of extradition? Country B captures you and sends you back to country A to face charges.
gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:47:47 PM

Well, people who really want will always find how to bypass a law. But i doubt this would work
5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 01:50:10 PM

Well, people who really want will always find how to bypass a law. But i doubt this would work

No, probably not Smiley My mind just tends to wander in the afternoon...

nkocevar

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:51:28 PM

Ever heard of extradition? Country B captures you and sends you back to country A to face charges.

I was just about to add that in. Im sure any country would want to comply with the US if they asked to extradite you.

5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 01:51:50 PM

Sure, but of course the easiest way to get away with not paying taxes is if the tax man doesn't think you owe him anything. If you "really did lose your private key" - you'd have to write off the coins as a loss.

5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 01:52:52 PM

I was just about to add that in. Im sure any country would want to comply with the US if they asked to extradite you.

Sure, but it's like with anything else - why would they be looking for you? You filed your documents, paid your bill, explained your losses...

nkocevar

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:57:16 PM

Sure, but it's like with anything else - why would they be looking for you? You filed your documents, paid your bill, explained your losses...

Good point. The IRS is too lazy to dig that deep and keep track of you...

dogechode

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:03:44 PM

Well, if you reported some massive loss in terms of bitcoin, especially across multiple years, they might just have the intelligence to note the address the coins were stored in and check up on it in the future, and when they find that there have been outbound transactions from that address since you "lost" the private key...
zeetubes

Activity: 371

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:14:56 PM

Even better, you could get a commercial mortgage to buy the bitcoins (they're property after all right? :>) and that way you can fuck over both a bank and the IRS. That feeling of a job well done would help sustain you through the tedious days sunning yourself on a yacht somewhere tropical with a hot babe. Supermodels aren't usually the best conversationalists you know.
mrdeposit

Activity: 1358
Merit: 509

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 02:17:27 PM

Well, if you reported some massive loss in terms of bitcoin, especially across multiple years, they might just have the intelligence to note the address the coins were stored in and check up on it in the future, and when they find that there have been outbound transactions from that address since you "lost" the private key...

There's a way around that. Report them stolen, write it off on the taxes as a lost. Sometime in the future or right now it doesn't matter just send the coins to a new address but use a coin mix site. No way to find out where they went. As far as getting fiat for them, I don't recommend using bank transfers after pulling this off. One is better off exchanging for cash using localbitcoin or some other site.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:19:29 PM

Investments don't reduce profit.  You would pay taxes on your profit as corporate income and then if you so choose you could invest the after tax earnings.  Of course you could do the same thing as an individual.
nkocevar

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:22:08 PM

Even better, you could get a commercial mortgage to buy the bitcoins (they're property after all right? :>) and that way you can fuck over both a bank and the IRS. That feeling of a job well done would help sustain you through the tedious days sunning yourself on a yacht somewhere tropical with a hot babe. Supermodels aren't usually the best conversationalists you know.

Whats better than a supermodel? A supermodel educated on the workings of bitcoin.

5flags (OP)

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 02:24:27 PM

Simple. Stage a theft, then tumble the coins, then "notice" the theft and report it as a loss.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: