Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:07:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Amir Taaki (genjix) on Max Keiser  (Read 3544 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 01:24:55 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2012, 12:24:12 AM by cbeast

I watched an impressive argument against SOPA and internet censorship today by Amir on Max Keiser on RT. Bitcoin is back and Max is in the fray. Hopefully someone will find a recording link.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 04:11:41 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2012, 01:21:36 AM by dunand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe6XV-MbcHc
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 04:17:07 AM

He's not in that clip.  Maybe when they post the full episode tomorrow he'll be in it.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 04:57:03 AM

http://rt.com/programs/keiser-report/episode-234-max-keiser/
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 05:28:01 AM

Thanks

vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 08:46:18 AM

Great talk. Love the tie, genjix Smiley
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 08:00:27 PM

Lots of negative comments about bitcoin

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=GX-gYrTxz9U

still some elucidation work to do  Undecided

first and foremost people have to understand that it's not bitcoin vs metals, but bitcoin and metals.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 11:43:14 PM

Thanks Genjix you were great.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2012, 12:22:51 AM

Thanks Genjix you were great.

Amir always does well and understands the concepts and the tech behind it.
I jumped forward until Amir showed up and enjoyed the interview. I would have liked to seen more Bitcoin but that will happen.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Fizzgig

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:56:02 AM

You need to focus on the question being asked instead of giving a long winded speeches. I think a quick summary may save people a little time:

Max: Tell us about Dot-Bit, Namecoin, and other darknet technologies that are emerging in anticipation in this increased digital war.

Amir: There are a number of technologies on the internet which are anti-censorship tools. *Long Rant* which lasts 100 seconds.

Max: Ok...uhm...tell us about Bitcoin and cool stuff

Amir: Cool stuff is coming, bitcoin is digital money, machines can make plastic widgets.

Max: K I'll have to sell Bitcoin myself...Max starts listing benefits himself.

Amir: Fuck Banks!

Max: Thank you for joining us on the Keiser Report.

Best Bitcoin supported browser game:
Minethings: Dig, Trade, and Fight your way to influence!
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 04:57:54 AM

You need to focus on the question being asked instead of giving a long winded speeches. I think a quick summary may save people a little time:

Max: Tell us about Dot-Bit, Namecoin, and other darknet technologies that are emerging in anticipation in this increased digital war.

Amir: There are a number of technologies on the internet which are anti-censorship tools. *Long Rant* which lasts 100 seconds.

Max: Ok...uhm...tell us about Bitcoin and cool stuff

Amir: Cool stuff is coming, bitcoin is digital money, machines can make plastic widgets.

Max: K I'll have to sell Bitcoin myself...Max starts listing benefits himself.

Amir: Fuck Banks!

Max: Thank you for joining us on the Keiser Report.

+1

Max kept trying to get you to plug Bitcoin, but you kept dodging it.

mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:13:47 AM

"It's an oligarchic, monopolistic, neo-futile mindset."
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:15:24 AM

"It's an oligarchic, monopolistic, neo-futile mindset."

I think you mean neo-feudal.
Otherwise, it's newly pointless.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:44:32 AM

I personally appreciated Taaki's dwelling on more important philosophical issues vs. just trying to pump Bitcoin.

It reminded me a bit of when Brito was on Napolitano's show on Fox.  Napoplitano was practically cumming at the thought of skipping out of paying taxes and Brito had to bring him down to earth.

I feel it is great when the Bitcoin people appear to be the sane one, although I suspect I am in the minority as is often the case.  Admittedly, it is a rather hollow victory to appear to be the sane one on Keiser's show (which I follow religiously, I might add.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 05:55:06 AM

I personally appreciated Taaki's dwelling on more important philosophical issues vs. just trying to pump Bitcoin.

It reminded me a bit of when Brito was on Napolitano's show on Fox.  Napoplitano was practically cumming at the thought of skipping out of paying taxes and Brito had to bring him down to earth.

I feel it is great when the Bitcoin people appear to be the sane one, although I suspect I am in the minority as is often the case.  Admittedly, it is a rather hollow victory to appear to be the sane one on Keiser's show (which I follow religiously, I might add.)

I wouldn't ask him to pump it.  I would ask him to face it head on and say something along the lines of "Look, it's not a magic money machine.  It is very good at nonlocal value transfers, but is currently very volatile.  There are also security issues we are working on that are not released yet.  I would keep an eye on it as an investment vehicle, but I wouldn't bet more than you can afford to lose."

The fact is, the average device is insecure, and until we have split key support the more valuable bitcoins become, the higher the risk of high value thefts.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 06:15:34 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2012, 03:40:44 AM by tvbcof

It reminded me a bit of when Brito was on Napolitano's show on Fox.  Napoplitano was practically cumming at the thought of skipping out of paying taxes and Brito had to bring him down to earth.

I feel it is great when the Bitcoin people appear to be the sane one, although I suspect I am in the minority as is often the case.  Admittedly, it is a rather hollow victory to appear to be the sane one on Keiser's show (which I follow religiously, I might add.)

I wouldn't ask him to pump it.  I would ask him to face it head on and say something along the lines of "Look, it's not a magic money machine.  It is very good at nonlocal value transfers, but is currently very volatile.  There are also security issues we are working on that are not released yet.  I would keep an eye on it as an investment vehicle, but I wouldn't bet more than you can afford to lose."

The fact is, the average device is insecure, and until we have split key support the more valuable bitcoins become, the higher the risk of high value thefts.

I will concur with your assessment to some extent.  But it is possible that Taaki's life and world view don't revolve exclusively around Bitcoin so I don't think that he has an obligation to dwell only on that subject.  Who knows what sort of preparation was involved for Keiser's show.  The rest of that episode revolved mostly around SOPA after all.  Though Keiser did clearly want to talk Bitcoin I suppose.

[Addition:]

I watched it again, this time in real time on maxkeiser.com (RT's streaming sucks.)

Taaki gave pretty thoughtful answers to most of the questions that Keiser actually asked, and I found his thoughts on these things to be interesting (though largely old-hat to me.)

Keiser did pick up the ball to 'pump' Bitcoin near the end, but unfortunately, most of his info was between wrong and dead wrong.  But it sounded good in a marketing sort of way (e.g., 'completely anonymous') so I guess that is enough to make most people happy.

---

For those Libertarian types who took pride in skipping Max and Stacey's info about SOPA, I would suggest that you might go back and check it out.  Some of the info was pretty worthwhile.  It will be bad for all of us, but particularly Libertarians, if/when we lose this set of battle.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 01:19:31 AM

I was disappointed that Max kept trying to get him to talk about Bitcoin and he kept going on and on about other stuff.
Fizzgig

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 03:43:29 AM

I think the more pressing issue is that Genjix simply didn't answer most of Max's questions. There is a reason Max chose the questions he chose, it's because it's his show. Ya know?

Edit: And I totally appreciate that it was nerve racking as hell being on tv, this is just my feedback.

Best Bitcoin supported browser game:
Minethings: Dig, Trade, and Fight your way to influence!
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:38:26 AM

i would like to point out something OT

if you don't know how to properly wear a tie - don't put it on.
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:58:30 AM

Edit: And I totally appreciate that it was nerve racking as hell being on tv, this is just my feedback.

I got the impression that this wasn't recorded live. So he must've had some chances to retry.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: