Poll
Question: This new physical coin should be loaded with:
BTC - 1 (33.3%)
LTC - 1 (33.3%)
other altcoins - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptakoin - numismatic physical Bitcoin/Litecoin development  (Read 524 times)
Cryptakoin (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:22:12 AM
Last edit: April 17, 2014, 11:41:16 PM by Cryptakoin

What prompted me to look into another physical coin (which will be named Cryptakoin), loaded with either bitcoins or litecoins, was the fact that the Casascius (BTC) coins and Lealana (LTC) coins are no longer available directly from Casascius/Smoothie. Long story short: Casascius got a letter from FINCEN telling him to halt all sales of his coins because they deemed him to be a money transmitter. Smoothie has not gotten any notifications from FINCEN, however he also stopped selling his coins as a preventative measure. With this in mind, I'm leaning towards making physical litecoins since it's not as recognized by governments yet, although making physical bitcoins is also a possibility.

Compared to the Casascius/Leanana coins, there are two differences I have in mind for these:

1) The 99.9% silver coins will be minted with a proof finish, for numismatic collection. I noticed that there are no Casascius and Leanana coins that score MS69 or MS70 when graded, so I'm hoping the precious metal content in these have a better grade that just standard bullion. If you don't care about the finish or precious metal, then there will also be physical btc/ltc coins made from either copper, brass, or nickel. I'm hoping to do gold coins if I ever get enough capital to start a gold series.

2) I also noticed price premiums on the Casascius and Lealana coins were pretty high. If these new physical btc/ltc coins come to fruition, I promise that the price premium will be lower for these coins. I don't have any price estimates in mind until I can get quotes from several mints for their labor, dies, and bullion.

Here is a render I did for the coin, using LTC as an example. The outer rim, large L, and "10 Litecoins" have a mirror finish. All other text and main background has a frosted finish. I'm open to ideas for this coin, or discussion about this project in general. I also want to mention that I'm a senior member on here since 2011 with another account, but made a new account just for this project. When it comes time to actually sell these, I have no problem proving my credibility.

https://i.imgur.com/in0Men7.png

Cryptakoin (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:32:14 AM

* reserved for details*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: