Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:08:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solidcoin DMCA takedown  (Read 10169 times)
chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 03:07:29 PM

Even though I have personal issues with the current Solidcoin developers,

I still think this is lame as shit... And probably goes against everything this community stands and preaches for.

Why is it always the Christians who are always out to seek "revenge"?

I mean that with all seriousness...

No way, man. Don't you see?

Yes, I filed the DMCA takedown. If you have a problem with that, that's your problem for supporting plagerism and copyright infringement.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 03:10:31 PM

Even though I have personal issues with the current Solidcoin developers,

I still think this is lame as shit... And probably goes against everything this community stands and preaches for.

Why is it always the Christians who are always out to seek "revenge"?

I mean that with all seriousness...

No way, man. Don't you see?

Yes, I filed the DMCA takedown. If you have a problem with that, that's your problem for supporting plagerism and copyright infringement.
I wonder how many times Luke-Jr has participated in "copyright infringement".  Roll Eyes

Again I am not defending Solidcoin (obviously) or any of it's supporters.

What I am saying is that this DMCA take down is LAME AS SHIT, and goes against literally EVERYTHING we preach in these forums...
localhost

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 04:20:55 PM

Again I am not defending Solidcoin (obviously) or any of it's supporters.

What I am saying is that this DMCA take down is LAME AS SHIT, and goes against literally EVERYTHING we preach in these forums...
SolidCoin ripped off the open source Bitcoin code to make it proprietary (okay, that's allowed by the MIT license but that's still ugly). I think it was already said somewhere earlier in this thread, but it's a clear case of "live by the sword die by the sword" there...

-
CoinHunter

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 05:19:49 PM

SolidCoin ripped off the open source Bitcoin code to make it proprietary (okay, that's allowed by the MIT license but that's still ugly).

Heh that's pretty funny . You say "SolidCoin ripped off Bitcoin" then immediately follow with "Ok the license allows what SolidCoin did but it's still ripping it off! Guys! Come on...."

Many people took this stand against SOPA yet they make a hero of a guy who :-
1) robbed many people of Bitcoins and CoiledCoins
2) Has 51% attacked a chain using mtgox/eligius resources.
3) Filed fake DMCA claims to try to silence/censor something they don't like.
4) Likely culprit in other attacks on other coins

Well, with those sorts of morals I'm not sure what else to expect from some here. Flip... flop. Can't have it both ways you heroes. It doesn't even matter if you don't like SolidCoin, to step down to the filthy level of Luke-Jr is telling how desperate some have become. If anyone wonders how some awful crap gets passed by our governments look no further than the behaviour shown by a few here to get their "Revenge" on something they don't like.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 05:26:55 PM

There was nothing fake about your copyright infringement.  Infringement you were made aware of the day you released the source code.

You pirated software.  Period.   You might consider removing copyright and license notification trivial but it isn't.  Had you not pirated software your github wouldn't have been taken down.  Take some personal responsibility for your actions.
FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 05:54:39 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2012, 06:05:55 PM by FlipPro

SolidCoin ripped off the open source Bitcoin code to make it proprietary (okay, that's allowed by the MIT license but that's still ugly).

Heh that's pretty funny . You say "SolidCoin ripped off Bitcoin" then immediately follow with "Ok the license allows what SolidCoin did but it's still ripping it off! Guys! Come on...."

Well, with those sorts of morals I'm not sure what else to expect from some here. Flip... flop. Can't have it both ways you heroes. It doesn't even matter if you don't like SolidCoin, to step down to the filthy level of Luke-Jr is telling how desperate some have become. If anyone wonders how some awful crap gets passed by our governments look no further than the behaviour shown by a few here to get their "Revenge" on something they don't like.
I don't know anyone here who made a "hero" of Luke-Jr for his 51% attack on CC.

Most people actually found it repulsive, so I don't know where exactly you are getting that from.

Bitcoin is about absolute freedom (mostly in regards to data), which is why it boggles my mind that someone who preaches freedom of all data, would go ahead and do a DMCA takedown on an infant open source e-currency...

Ban Coinhunter, ban Solidcoin, hell ban anyone who utters the name. I personally wouldn't agree with it, as I have absolutely fallen in love with this forum over the past 6 months, simply because of it's free and truly unregulated nature. It was hard to get used to such an environment when I first got here, but it has allowed me to express myself in ways I was never able to in past.

That's why I am so against this action... DMCA takedown? Really?
FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 05:55:23 PM

There was nothing fake about your copyright infringement.  Infringement you were made aware of the day you released the source code.

You pirated software.  Period.   You might consider removing copyright and license notification trivial but it isn't.  Had you not pirated software your github wouldn't have been taken down.  Take some personal responsibility for your actions.
I really like you, and you have educated me at many points in the past.

But this DMCA takedown is beyond stupid...
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 06:01:52 PM

Hypothetical.  Microsoft takes Bitcoin code, uses it, makes it closed source and removes the license.  It then runs it on the entire xbox network to attack Bitcoin.  You say "don't use DMCA let Bitcoin die"?

King RealScam obligation to be compliant was TRIVIAL and he willfully violated it.  Not sure if you are aware but if you don't defend copyrighted material you can lose copyright protection.  The courts can rule it has passed defacto into public domain.  It is the responsibility of copyright holders to protect their property.

Given King RealScam was willfully noncompliant what should have been done?
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 06:21:33 PM

Hypothetical.  Microsoft takes Bitcoin code, uses it, makes it closed source and removes the license.  It then runs it on the entire xbox network to attack Bitcoin.  You say "don't use DMCA let Bitcoin die"?

King RealScam obligation to be compliant was TRIVIAL and he willfully violated it.  Not sure if you are aware but if you don't defend copyrighted material you can lose copyright protection.  The courts can rule it has passed defacto into public domain.  It is the responsibility of copyright holders to protect their property.

Given King RealScam was willfully noncompliant what should have been done?
This.

Seriously guys, WHY, Do you think a DMCA is "stupid" Fuck sakes it's asif you hear DMCA and go "OH NO ALL MY PIRATED STUFF IS GONNA GET REMOVED!!!, I MUST STOP ALL FORMS OF DMCA!!"

I see this the best DMCA i have ever seen, With the second best, Being the removal of videogame ROMS
Look at it this way, a Ripoff Cyrptocurrency was taken down, Thats like spotting a Counterfeit Bill(Reffing a SC as a counterfiet BTC, I understand that it's "different") and saying "yo dudes check out this counterfiet money!, Do i take it to the bank and tell them about it? Or do i just go try to spend it anywhere i can?"
So Someone went to the "bank" with the "counterfiet money" and had it "taken out" of thier hands.
Bank->internet exchange .|. CFmoney->SolidCoins .|. Taken out->DMCA

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Yes. I tried to pass off other peoples work as my own. I then imposed my own licensing terms on code which I did not own the rights to. All I had to do was notify people that the code I used was written by someone else and that my right to use it stemmed from the MIT license. But I failed at this trivial task, and that is why I github took down my code.

There. That wasn't so hard.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
localhost

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 06:44:20 PM

Dude, just learn to understand the license. It allows "ripping off" BUT it doesn't allow removing the license text.
You use the copyright tools to lock your source, and then you complain that other guys use those same tools just to protect their credit (the properly included license note). I'm not calling Luke-Jr a hero, just on this point he's damn right. It's not as if the license required you to pay 2 billion dollars to reuse the source, you just had to include the MIT license properly, is that so hard?

-
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 07:34:39 PM

This is all libelous lies.

I don't know anyone here who made a "hero" of Luke-Jr for his 51% attack on CC.

Most people actually found it repulsive, so I don't know where exactly you are getting that from.
First, it wasn't a "51% attack" in the sense most people take that to mean: I didn't steal any coins, time-travel, or anything of the sort. Second, more people did express support of my CLC shutdown than complained about it (the complainers were basically just a small handful of scammers who I had foiled, and made numerous venomous libel posts giving some people the impression there was a problem with it)

Bitcoin is about absolute freedom (mostly in regards to data), which is why it boggles my mind that someone who preaches freedom of all data, would go ahead and do a DMCA takedown on an infant open source e-currency...
No, Bitcoin is about a decentralized currency. Anything more is subjective. "Absolute freedom" is absolute evil. Bitcoin provides a useful monetary system for the Tonal number system, which is my primary reason for involvement.

FlipPro
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 10:19:57 PM

"Absolute freedom" is absolute evil.
This pretty much sums you up in one sentence. Thanks for the quote...

You are no better than Coinhunter and his 13 million premine.

Disgusting...

chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:56:29 PM

Yeah, this topic is seriously conflicting for me...

I dislike Luke-Jr, but I also dislike CoinHunter.

I dislike the DMCA (and copyright in general), but I also dislike SolidCoin.

Really though, this is just going to give CoinHunter more ammo for martyrdom argument.

Hey now, there's some common ground between Luke-Jr and CoinHunter... they both have a persecution complex.
CoinHunter

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:05:57 AM

There was nothing fake about your copyright infringement.  Infringement you were made aware of the day you released the source code.

You pirated software.  Period.   You might consider removing copyright and license notification trivial but it isn't.  Had you not pirated software your github wouldn't have been taken down.  Take some personal responsibility for your actions.

Firstly the source code to SolidCoin was released and it's a free project. There are no damages to be rewarded for misplacing an updated license.txt on a free open source project.

Secondly Github was taken down with NO investigation. That is the DMCA some of you idiots here are acting like a good thing. The only way to "Shut github up" would be to file a counterclaim but given their 10 day lack of reply to emails and unprofessional "just take it down without care" attitude we decided to move onto a different repository.

There is no successful DMCA against SolidCoin, the source code and binaries are being distributed. So let's just get that fact straight. This censoring troll Luke-Jr only managed to get this claim on Github in the state it is because he knows the people there and also the unprofessional way Github act.

Luke-Jr is going to be prosecuted soon enough for his fake DMCA claims as he has perjured himself.

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:08:18 AM

"Absolute freedom" is absolute evil.
This pretty much sums you up in one sentence. Thanks for the quote...

You are no better than Coinhunter and his 13 million premine.

Disgusting...

The problem isn't so much that Coinhunter left out the MIT license. The problem is he replaced the MIT license with his own proprietary license. Coinhunters license claimed he had the right to prevent anyone he wished from using the code is in both Solidcoin and Bitcoin. That includes everyone running a bitcoin client.

If uncontested, Coinhunter could try to assert that right in court or via DMCA. That was the problem. Now it isn't.

Luke-Jr is going to be prosecuted soon enough for his fake DMCA claims as he has perjured himself.

I have copies of solidcoin code (downloaded from GitHub) that have had the MIT licenses removed. I have copies of the bitcoin code with the MIT licenses in place. The former occurred after the latter. The courts can obtain the same thing I have via subpoena.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:14:43 AM

Firstly the source code to SolidCoin was released and it's a free project. There are no damages to be rewarded for misplacing an updated license.txt on a free open source project.

Secondly Github was taken down with NO investigation. That is the DMCA some of you idiots here are acting like a good thing. The only way to "Shut github up" would be to file a counterclaim but given their 10 day lack of reply to emails and unprofessional "just take it down without care" attitude we decided to move onto a different repository.

There is no successful DMCA against SolidCoin, the source code and binaries are being distributed. So let's just get that fact straight. This censoring troll Luke-Jr only managed to get this claim on Github in the state it is because he knows the people there and also the unprofessional way Github act.

Dude, you are by far the worst PR rep imaginable.

A wise man knows when to cut his losses (time, money, reputation, etc.).  I suggest you do the same.  Nobody wants your dumb SolidCoin.
CoinHunter

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:20:25 AM

I have copies of solidcoin code (downloaded from GitHub) that have had the MIT licenses removed. I have copies of the bitcoin code with the MIT licenses in place. The former occurred after the latter. The courts can obtain the same thing I have via subpoena.

Yeah it doesn't really matter about "what you think the truth is" . We have the DMCA claims from Luke-Jr and he has perjured himself.

You should really see the way he tries to beg people in countries where DMCA isn't relevant to "listen to him" . It's quite sad how he wants DMCA/SOPA installed around the world. People like him are the reason for the increasingly sad state of the world.

LoupGaroux

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:33:47 AM

Wait a second here... wasn't CH/RS banned from this forum? Didn't we have to wade through pages of the sorrowful tale of this copyright infringing, piss-poor code stealing, mouth-breathing troglodyte whining about how unfair that was?

Listen up you sniveling little bitch...

You broke the rules. Whether or not you changed it back, or shifted your code repository to another country what you did violated the terms of the license and was theft. That repulsive little slug luke-jr. has the right to bring a DMCA action against you, he did, you lost and got spanked.

Crying horseshit little tunes about perjury, libel or slander is just about the most infantile form of online discourse imaginable. You are fucking half-wit rip-off artist living in Australia. Luke the cunt got your US based site pulled down under US law. You shifted your site to Germany, and changed the offending sections of the code after the fact. Where are going to bring a cause of action against luke? Outer Fucking Mongolia? Stop acting the fool, and just go back to playing with your ShortBusCoin, and scamming your adoring throng of four or five love slaves. Nobody here gives a damn about your trials and troubles, nobody here would care if Soviet space debris fell on your mom's house and crushed you in the basement.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:36:05 AM

Yeah it doesn't really matter about "what you think the truth is" . We have the DMCA claims from Luke-Jr and he has perjured himself.

You should really see the way he tries to beg people in countries where DMCA isn't relevant to "listen to him" . It's quite sad how he wants DMCA/SOPA installed around the world. People like him need are the reason for the increasingly sad state of the world.

DMCA is relevant in both the US and Australia which is where all the parties involved (Luke, Github, and Coinhunter) reside.
You violated the license terms. You were warned numerous times. You had the side effects explained to you by numerous people. You chose to ignore the warnings and explanations, instead favoring your own interpretation. Now you have no Github project. You might pursue this in the courts, but you have not done so in spite of having 20 days in which to file.

P.S. I can also read the DMCA takedown notice. It is posted at https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2012-01-09-bitcoin.markdown. There is no perjury evident.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: