Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:29:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solidcoin DMCA takedown  (Read 10172 times)
CoinHunter

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:04:17 AM

Wait a second here... wasn't CH/RS banned from this forum? Didn't we have to wade through pages of the sorrowful tale of this copyright infringing, piss-poor code stealing, mouth-breathing troglodyte whining about how unfair that was?

Listen up you sniveling little bitch...

You broke the rules. Whether or not you changed it back, or shifted your code repository to another country what you did violated the terms of the license and was theft. That repulsive little slug luke-jr. has the right to bring a DMCA action against you, he did, you lost and got spanked.

Crying horseshit little tunes about perjury, libel or slander is just about the most infantile form of online discourse imaginable. You are fucking half-wit rip-off artist living in Australia. Luke the cunt got your US based site pulled down under US law. You shifted your site to Germany, and changed the offending sections of the code after the fact. Where are going to bring a cause of action against luke? Outer Fucking Mongolia? Stop acting the fool, and just go back to playing with your ShortBusCoin, and scamming your adoring throng of four or five love slaves. Nobody here gives a damn about your trials and troubles, nobody here would care if Soviet space debris fell on your mom's house and crushed you in the basement.

Could you be even more emotional? Control yourself. Smiley

In regards to Luke-Jr, please take a look here :-

http://solidcoin.info/faq.php

The CPF stands for Coin Protection/Promotion Fund . It was devised after realizing that a small amount of centralization can actually be good for a decentralized currency. Currently 5% of the value a normal block is given to the CPF in every trusted block. So in essence SolidCoin has 5% *economic* centralization.

At this point you may be asking how centralization is good at all, especially when we are talking about a decentralized currency. And that is a good question. Firstly, any centralization relating to the network itself we strongly disagree with. Decentralized networking is important for security reasons, it makes it almost impossible to shutdown the currency. The centralization in SolidCoin is merely an economic one, whereby a central agent is given funds to look after the interests of all SolidCoin users.

SolidCoin people realized that we would not only need to solve problems relating to technical aspects (51% attacks etc) but we need protection against people like Luke-Jr legally. So the CPF can hire a US lawyer and prosecute him with no cost to any individual user.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 01:14:21 AM

I think Solidcoin is a joke...BUT please bitcoin developers, do not file DMCA Takedowns. We are supposed to be encouraging internet freedom, not the policing of the internet. Does it really matter if they claim that your code is their code? Anyone can verify the claim for themselves.

It is called theft.  If Microsoft stole the Bitcoin code, made it proprietary and then tried to commercialize it would you also say to not respond w/ legal action.

Something is only theft when you physically remove the original item. http://pastehtml.com/view/bllpf04jv.html I accidentally SONY's back catalogue. And fuck anyone who uses GUNS to get what they want I mean lets get down to brass tacks here....

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:28:59 AM

Firstly the source code to SolidCoin was released and it's a free project.
No, the SolidCoin license is non-free. Free software means the freedom to run, study, modify, and distribute (even for a fee).

There are no damages to be rewarded for misplacing an updated license.txt on a free open source project.
I can certainly argue there are damages for running a business built on my code without proper attribution.

Secondly Github was taken down with NO investigation. That is the DMCA some of you idiots here are acting like a good thing.
No, there was investigation. I did the investigating. GitHub and Linode also verified the infringing materials were on your website.
The only way to "Shut github up" would be to file a counterclaim but given their 10 day lack of reply to emails and unprofessional "just take it down without care" attitude we decided to move onto a different repository.
You mean you're too scared to file a counterclaim because it would 1) give me access to your legal name and address so I can file formal legal charges against you, and 2) expose you to criminal prosecution for perjury (the counterclaim is required to state you are not infringing under penalty of perjury, and you are infringing).

There is no successful DMCA against SolidCoin, the source code and binaries are being distributed. So let's just get that fact straight. This censoring troll Luke-Jr only managed to get this claim on Github in the state it is because he knows the people there and also the unprofessional way Github act.
No, the DMCA takedowns were successful in the case of both GitHub and Linode (your former webhost). You've just managed to run away from the law by moving to German servers outside the DMCA jurisdiction.

Luke-Jr is going to be prosecuted soon enough for his fake DMCA claims as he has perjured himself.
No, my DMCA takedown notice is 100% factual. Any attempt to go after me will be your own undoing (as in, you'll probably end up with real jail time).

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:40:11 AM

There is no successful DMCA against SolidCoin, the source code and binaries are being distributed. So let's just get that fact straight. This censoring troll Luke-Jr only managed to get this claim on Github in the state it is because he knows the people there and also the unprofessional way Github act.
No, the DMCA takedowns were successful in the case of both GitHub and Linode (your former webhost). You've just managed to run away from the law by moving to German servers outside the DMCA jurisdiction.

You can give ISPs in Germany a DMCA notice about infringing code. They are not required to honor them, but if the investigation is trivial (as it should be in this case) they sometimes comply. You can also file a lawsuit about it in Germany and the ISP will take you seriously. You can go after the domain name solidcointalk.org since it is being used to host infringing content. You can subpoena the registrar for who owns the domain in order to make them a party to the lawsuit (thereby obtaining the entity behind Solidcoin).

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:50:22 AM

You can give ISPs in Germany a DMCA notice about infringing code. They are not required to honor them, but if the investigation is trivial (as it should be in this case) they sometimes comply.
They ignored it, and apparently forwarded it to RS.

You can go after the domain name solidcointalk.org since it is being used to host infringing content.
Not without SOPA I think?

CoinHunter

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:52:58 AM

No, the SolidCoin license is non-free. Free software means the freedom to run, study, modify, and distribute (even for a fee).

No Bitcoin is not free because it doesn't allow me to not include a copyright text and because I say so. So there mr smarty pants!

I can certainly argue there are damages for running a business built on my code without proper attribution.

Haha, tell the judge this.

No we did that for the lols and because we dislike the DMCA. People wanted to file a counterclaim and take you to court already out of their own pocket... but there's better ways to do this and we are still collecting information on you and your business dealings with MtGox/Tibanne and what participation they had in this.

No, my DMCA takedown notice is 100% factual. Any attempt to go after me will be your own undoing (as in, you'll probably end up with real jail time).

No it's you facing serious jail time for using the DMCA on something you do not own and have no claim over. Shouldn't have perjured yourself there bro. Thanks for generally being an unlikeable person too because we are getting plenty of support for this.

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 02:03:16 AM

No Bitcoin is not free because it doesn't allow me to not include a copyright text and because I say so. So there mr smarty pants!

No we did that for the lols and because we dislike the DMCA. People wanted to file a counterclaim and take you to court already out of their own pocket... but there's better ways to do this and we are still collecting information on you and your business dealings with MtGox/Tibanne and what participation they had in this.

No it's you facing serious jail time for using the DMCA on something you do not own and have no claim over. Shouldn't have perjured yourself there bro. Thanks for generally being an unlikeable person too because we are getting plenty of support for this.
Ban for trolling? Attheveryleast?

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:07:31 AM

No it's you facing serious jail time for using the DMCA on something you do not own and have no claim over. Shouldn't have perjured yourself there bro.

You were unaware that Luke-jr contributed code to Bitcoin as far back as June 2011 (perhaps earlier, I didn't look much further)? Interesting.
Still haven't mentioned which part of the take-down notice was incorrect? Interesting.
You still haven't posted the MIT license in the bitcoin source files (I know its a lot of cutting and pasting). Interesting.
All you have done is acknowledged in your own license.txt that "some parts of SolidCoin are based on the MIT licensed source code by Bitcoin", which is an admission of guilt. Interesting.

Until you can implement the simplest license in the software world, I have to believe you are simply not capable of implementing a cryptocurrency (which is why you had to use Bitcoin code in the first place).

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 03:19:22 AM

No it's you facing serious jail time for using the DMCA on something you do not own and have no claim over. Shouldn't have perjured yourself there bro.

You were unaware that Luke-jr contributed code to Bitcoin as far back as June 2011 (perhaps earlier, I didn't look much further)? Interesting.
Still haven't mentioned which part of the take-down notice was incorrect? Interesting.
You still haven't posted the MIT license in the bitcoin source files (I know its a lot of cutting and pasting). Interesting.
All you have done is acknowledged in your own license.txt that "some parts of SolidCoin are based on the MIT licensed source code by Bitcoin", which is an admission of guilt. Interesting.

Until you can implement the simplest license in the software world, I have to believe you are simply not capable of implementing a cryptocurrency (which is why you had to use Bitcoin code in the first place).
someone pay the man  Grin

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
grndzero

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 05:07:39 AM

Wait a second here... wasn't CH/RS banned from this forum? Didn't we have to wade through pages of the sorrowful tale of this copyright infringing, piss-poor code stealing, mouth-breathing troglodyte whining about how unfair that was?

Listen up you sniveling little bitch...

You broke the rules. Whether or not you changed it back, or shifted your code repository to another country what you did violated the terms of the license and was theft. That repulsive little slug luke-jr. has the right to bring a DMCA action against you, he did, you lost and got spanked.

Crying horseshit little tunes about perjury, libel or slander is just about the most infantile form of online discourse imaginable. You are fucking half-wit rip-off artist living in Australia. Luke the cunt got your US based site pulled down under US law. You shifted your site to Germany, and changed the offending sections of the code after the fact. Where are going to bring a cause of action against luke? Outer Fucking Mongolia? Stop acting the fool, and just go back to playing with your ShortBusCoin, and scamming your adoring throng of four or five love slaves. Nobody here gives a damn about your trials and troubles, nobody here would care if Soviet space debris fell on your mom's house and crushed you in the basement.

Giving thought to a narcissistic attention whore with delusions of grandeur is counter productive.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
localhost

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 06:39:42 AM

Firstly the source code to SolidCoin was released
What you don't seem to understand is that the MIT license doesn't even require you to share the source.  Roll Eyes  You just need to include the original license....

No Bitcoin is not free because it doesn't allow me to not include a copyright text
Ah, we're making progress already finally about that copyright text. Might want to have a read at the reason why the copyright text has to be included.

-
copumpkin
Donator

Activity: 266
Merit: 252

I'm actually a pineapple

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 07:18:19 AM

Holy shit. You need to work on your PR, because you're turning several previously neutral parties against you with this sort of drivel.
grndzero

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:50:10 AM

Holy shit. You need to work on your PR, because you're turning several previously neutral parties against you with this sort of drivel.

Several? Neutral? Exactly who is neutral about this or his crappy bitcoin ripoff?

He's obviously attention starved, quit giving it to him.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 02:38:54 PM

It's quite sad how he wants DMCA/SOPA installed around the world. People like him are the reason for the increasingly sad state of the world.

Legit source for this? IMHO: DMCA is a bad thing in most situations, but luke-jr didn't use it in a bad/abusive way.

Ban for trolling? Attheveryleast?

+1

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:19:53 PM

Legit source for this? IMHO: DMCA is a bad thing in most situations, but luke-jr didn't use it in a bad/abusive way.

So you're saying it's bad when it effects you but it's not bad when it effects someone else?  That seems to be a sign of very poor character....  I'm not going to weigh in because this whole mess is retarded but some of you lot need to reevaluate your morale high ground (on both sides of the fence)

DMCA is poorly implemented. It has guilty until proven innocent issues.
The need behind the law is sound (having a way to notify websites they are hosting infringing content).

In this case, having Coinhunter plagiarize code and then try to lock that code up with a restrictive license was simply beyond the pale.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:25:52 PM

I would have preferred a much better tool than DMCA. However, DMCA is what we have to work with. We don't have that "better tool". Innocent-until-proven-guilty doesn't stop the police from arresting a suspect before trial. I see DMCA (and potential better tools) as the same thing. The only difference here is that RealSolid is avoiding the trial by running.

chmod755
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 04:47:07 PM

So you're saying it's bad when it effects you but it's not bad when it effects someone else?  That seems to be a sign of very poor character....  I'm not going to weigh in because this whole mess is retarded but some of you lot need to reevaluate your morale high ground (on both sides of the fence)

No, I didn't say that. You're implying that. It's also bad, when it doesn't affect me depending on it's usage (e.g. music I don't like, but other people do). In this situation it wasn't bad, because it wasn't a big company trying to make more money using DMCA as usual. It was the average guy. The open source license was easy to read and understand and was clearly violated. And if open-source did not work, there wouldn't be a project like Bitcoin or other stuff based on it.

I would have preferred a much better tool than DMCA. However, DMCA is what we have to work with. We don't have that "better tool". Innocent-until-proven-guilty doesn't stop the police from arresting a suspect before trial. I see DMCA (and potential better tools) as the same thing. The only difference here is that RealSolid is avoiding the trial by running.

I'm not sure about the legal situation in the US, but I think you & RealSolid don't want to go to a court to resolve this.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:00:50 PM

I'm not sure about the legal situation in the US, but I think you & RealSolid don't want to go to a court to resolve this.
Honestly, I would prefer a resolution without involving the courts, but I'm not going to rule it out entirely either. When/if we manage to get RealSolid's address, we can see if the community wants to sponsor the lawyer costs to defend Bitcoin from SC.

FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 05:01:23 PM

If Luke-Jr and Coinhunter showed up to court to fight this...

They would get laughed out of the building...

For good reasons..
chmod755
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 05:09:34 PM

If Luke-Jr and Coinhunter showed up to court to fight this...

They would get laughed out of the building...

For good reasons..

Errr.... courts on TV != courts IRL

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: