Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:08:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Two guys are chasing a Bitcoin thief  (Read 6160 times)
MeandMissNoob (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 09:45:48 AM

Hi,

I was reading an interesting article, most of you probably already know the story. But I wanted to share it anyway  Grin

http://bitforum.org/two-guys-on-reddit-are-chasing-a-thief-who-has-220-million-in-bitcoins/

Who's going to win the battle?!
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 10:08:19 AM

I haven't heard of the story before, interesting read, thanks!

I think the thief should start sending small amounts to random active addresses, even member addresses found on this forum. That will make the number of address to monitor explode exponentially.
vnvizow

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:13:51 AM

I think the thief should start sending small amounts to random active addresses, even member addresses found on this forum. That will make the number of address to monitor explode exponentially.
And why in the world would the thief do that?
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:22:49 AM

To bankrupt or confuse the pursuers? After all, they can't keep sending and monitoring those 0.00666 BTC tracer transactions to every active wallet.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:26:29 AM

A french man cheated all of us in front of our nose, where we could not do anything and you expect to catch some anonymous thief ? Cheesy

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 10:27:36 AM
Last edit: October 06, 2014, 04:34:07 AM by medUSA

So he will have a higher chance of slipping some of the stolen coins through the surveillance into his real pocket. It is obvious that holding onto the bulk of the stolen coins makes it impossible to spend.

To bankrupt or confuse the pursuers

Exactly my point Grin
MeandMissNoob (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:29:42 AM

I think the thief should start sending small amounts to random active addresses,

Well it also crossed my mind. If he knows he can not run and he probably can not give it back because they will hunt for him anyway. Maybe give it away in small portions to all of us?!

It would make him the most generous thief ever.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:44:18 AM

It's better for the thief to wake up 20 years from now with 1 billion dollars and their head intact, rather then 10 billion dollars and their head on a pike somewhere.

But then again, some people like to take their chances.

That said- tracking them will be childs play once google gets into the blockchain analysis game.

more or less retired.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:07:02 AM

If I remember rightly, this story was a while ago, it turned out that the detectives had used their super sleuthing skills to track down, er, BTC-e's wallet.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:19:02 AM

That said- tracking them will be childs play once google gets into the blockchain analysis game.
This Google tracking is annoying. To foil Google, I think I will generate for myself N wallet addresses, where N is greater than the number of atoms in the Milky Way. Or should that be the number of ergs in the Solar System?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:39:14 AM

i laugh at these "trackers".

spending all their lives looking at blockexplorer.com thinking it will reveal the persons real life home address.

while the thief can make 20 usernames on 10 different exchanges. (200 accounts)

then
1. deposit 100 bitcoins
2. then go into profile settings of account and generate a new address.
3. repeat 1 & 2. four more times to  get 500btc into one account.
4. buy litecoin and withdraw to a litecoin address.

5. go to next account and repeat 1-4

now the "trackers" are seeing bitcoin is being moved, they see 100btc go to an address, and then get split up again. they think its the theif splitting it up, yet the reality if splits below 100btc are other people withdrawing from the exchange mixer.

so the "trackers" are watching all these very small bitcoin transactions, whilst the theif is now playing with litecoins and moving them to an exchange where he can cash out.

there are other coins such as 21coin 42coin 66coin, where their values are of multiple bitcoin. meaning that exchanges wont see as much of a alt coin grab event compared to grabbing thousands of litecoin.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Fatpony

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:39:43 AM

From when is this article? 99,000 = $100mill? Even if they find thief what are they going to do to him, call the police on him? You can't do nothing to the person who stole your BTCs
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:42:16 AM

From when is this article? 99,000 = $100mill? Even if they find thief what are they going to do to him, call the police on him? You can't do nothing to the person who stole your BTCs

What the heck OP, this article is from December last year!!!
http://www.businessinsider.com/220-million-sheep-marketplace-bitcoin-theft-chase-2013-12
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:43:02 AM

imagine it. a person goes to the police and says
person: "i was on a blackmarket and deposited bitcoins to buy drugs. and someone stole my coins"
police: "so you buy drugs from a drug dealer........ interesting, step into my office i have some questions for you"

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Fatpony

Activity: 74

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:50:18 AM

person: "i was on a blackmarket and deposited bitcoins to buy drugs. and someone stole my coins"
police: "so you buy drugs from a drug dealer........ interesting, step into my office i have some questions for you"

Brilliant Smiley Same thought about people that lost money on silkroad Smiley
Some SoB that sold drugs on his site stole my BTCs that I gave him for drugs and I never received them, I wanna sue him, or what ever.

And the prize " Idiot of the year " goes to < insert name > Smiley
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 12:00:27 PM

Check this:

Just one of his wallets. That means that this is not his first robbery. Probably this was the guy behind the SR 1.0 robbery as well. BTW... the chase was abandoned 4 months ago:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SheepMarketplace/comments/1rvlft/i_just_chased_him_through_a_bitcoin_tumbler_and/
j3steven

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 12:26:26 PM

Didn't the US IRS decide that bitcoin was not currency and labeled it as property?  If that's true, in your scenario wouldn't they be able to go to the police and say "i was on an online market and deposited bitcoins, or property per the IRS, to buy whatever i want.  and someone stole my property."

Now, I completely understand that the police will do jack-squat (Chris Farley voice), but doesnt someone have a legitimate claim if BTC is stolen to claim it as stolen property? 

yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 12:32:04 PM

Didn't know the story. Was surprised about the huge amount that was stolen. I always thought that sheepmarket was a minor operation compared to Silkroad.

Unfortunately I don't think the chase will be successful. There are too many options to hide tracks and the thief is unlikely to be an amateur. Sending BTC 0.00666 to every new address can quickly turn very expensive, too.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 12:34:34 PM

Hi,

I was reading an interesting article, most of you probably already know the story. But I wanted to share it anyway  Grin

http://bitforum.org/two-guys-on-reddit-are-chasing-a-thief-who-has-220-million-in-bitcoins/

Who's going to win the battle?!

thanks for sharing. Interesting story Smiley

Digital thieves, digital detectives Smiley 2014 Smiley
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 12:41:17 PM

The thief was not the smartest. He probably knows his script kiddy stuff, but he certainly didn't know his crypto-currencies. There were cast iron ways to pocket those coins without being chased through the block chain.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: