Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:43:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay to allow settlements in crypto  (Read 2721 times)
baton (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:46:30 AM

What do you think ? In my opinion eBay should be interested in cryptocurriencies: it will support international trade. crypto transfers are cheap and quick. delivery will stay as major side cost.

eBay earns money charging us on our transactions. if transaction is in crypto so eBay's margin should be in cypto. but it can be also in fiat for a limited time ;-). public announcement of such feature would be huge for both eBay and whole cryptoland :-)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 12:16:31 PM

eBay do support cryptos a bit already.

You can trade cryptos via eBay if you like with no problems.
baton (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 12:20:16 PM

this is not my point. it would be owsome to have a possibility to set a price for something in crypto while selling it on ebay. you know: insted of price in usd or eur the price would be in btc or ltc.
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:32:14 PM

Ebay won't be allowing purchases with Cryptocurrencies anytime soon. They are fully into the protect the customer and the the buyer from each other in a "nanny state" paradigm. Eventually PayPal will figure out that crypto is here to stay and accept it, but it won't be this year in my opinion. And there will still be high fees to cover the refunds to cheated customers and sellers.
baton (OP)

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 01:47:01 PM

well maybe this is an opportunity for next ebay ? or ebay replacement ?

hey google ! wake up ! do something !
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:11:01 PM

well maybe this is an opportunity for next ebay ? or ebay replacement ?

hey google ! wake up ! do something !

A good idea sure but there may just be alot of "red tape" with starting a company like this.  You'd have to compete with Ebay for one and then there is the laws that are currently in place would be used to most likely shut down the operation before it really got a chance.  Something tells me that is part of the reason Ebay doesn't do this very same thing.  Just my 2 cents not saying it is fact.
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:13:17 PM

Ebay only needs to provide a way of account funding in btc. Just as they do with any other currency.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 08:44:40 PM

True but there will be negative press on that if they made the change I can assure you and they may not want to deal with it.  I don't think it would really mater in the long run however just thought it was worth a mention.
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:51:59 PM

F**k evilBay and its sister paypal. Bitcoin does NOT need ebay or paypal to thrive. In fact, ebay and paypal involvement will damage bitcoin more than they help.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:58:07 PM

eBay do support cryptos a bit already.

You can trade cryptos via eBay if you like with no problems.

Last I heard Paypal will still not allow crypto sales (and will definitely not protect the seller from fraud), even though the parent company eBay had auctions up.
How does the seller safely accept payment?

Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:59:53 PM

this is not my point. it would be owsome to have a possibility to set a price for something in crypto while selling it on ebay. you know: insted of price in usd or eur the price would be in btc or ltc.

don't think that's going to happen in any time near..

they have their precious PayPal with their $,€ and other FIATs Cheesy

NotoriousBIT

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 01:01:03 AM

EBay doesn't even matter to us.  Paypal is the one that has to make the change.  But the only way they'd do that is to become an escrow with a high fee for use.  It might start low.  Paypal is basically 1/3 of EBay's revenue right now and only growing.  EBay might be getting left behind.  That's why the company is split on breaking up the two entities.  EBay doesn't want to, because it's their most profitable part of the company.  And Paypal does want to, because they could be bigger than EBay's little money transaction company.

I predict Paypal to hop up and then come crashing down once Cryptocurrency gets bigger and more accepted.  We all know it's coming.  I don't know if Paypal will adapt, and I'm not sure it matters.  They're an old fashioned system, taking 10% of fees.  Fuck that.

Go with Amazon and screw EBay/Paypal.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:59:43 PM

There used to be a btc auction site but it closed.  Great business opportunity.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 03:54:33 PM

F**k evilBay and its sister paypal. Bitcoin does NOT need ebay or paypal to thrive. In fact, ebay and paypal involvement will damage bitcoin more than they help.

+1

Exactly this is what I was trying to say. People use Bitcoin, because they are simply tired of the exploitative practices and steep service charge from Paypal. If we side with Paypal, then what is the difference between Paypal and Bitcoin?
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:46:32 AM

The problem with this is that eBay wishes to provide consumer protections. eBay provides these protections by allowing the seller access to their funds almost immediately, the seller will ship the product, and the buyer will leave positive feedback when they see the product is as advertised. When there is a dispute that is ruled in favor of the buyer then eBay can simply charge back the seller's bank account and reimburse the buyer.

If eBay were to provide the same level of protection it would not be able to release the funds to the seller until a longer time then it can now.

One alternative could be to allow buyers to pay in BTC but eBay would convert the BTC to fiat and pay sellers in fiat. This would mean that eBay would act in a way that is little different then an exchange.   

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 04:28:39 AM

I doubt it. Part of Ebay's business model is being very consumer-friendly. That involves enforcing returns/refunds. And that's a big problem when it come to BTC.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 05:53:32 AM

I doubt it. Part of Ebay's business model is being very consumer-friendly. That involves enforcing returns/refunds. And that's a big problem when it come to BTC.

yeah i agree with this. no more withholding funds from your account.

if they did offer a service though, i'm thinking that many of us wouldn't use it (because we hate them so much), but there are still quite a few people here who would use their services.
maok

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 08:00:23 AM

they could simply use a multi sig transaction and provide the same level of arbitrage, I think that this will be PayPal future if they adopt bitcoin, they could reduce the fees to less than 1%, allow more countries into their system and still retain huge control over refunds. Whether they'll be smart enough to adopt this new technology before their competition will leave them behind is only a matter of the minds working at eBay, but their CEO already showed he understands the future, I think its only a matter of when. Circle.com will soon become the new PayPal so its great that we have competition because its speeds things up a notch.

QRKHn6UK3ToS53V6jD1rYWRYS4mxQ1mako
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▀▄▀▄▀ Quark core wallet updates  ▀▄▀▄▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2014, 01:48:38 AM

Ebay won't be allowing purchases with Cryptocurrencies anytime soon. They are fully into the protect the customer and the the buyer from each other in a "nanny state" paradigm. Eventually PayPal will figure out that crypto is here to stay and accept it, but it won't be this year in my opinion. And there will still be high fees to cover the refunds to cheated customers and sellers.
Paylpal CEO stated last week that 'cryptocurrency adoption, such as BTC, is inevitable'.

Does the crypto community need any stronger an indication and aside from implementation is there any other stronger statement that could be made?

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 05:29:01 AM

I suspect it's only a matter of time before we'll be able to pay for virtually anything listed on ebay with bitcoin.  Eventually, litecoin, namecoin and perhaps a few others too.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: