Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:32:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opening harddrive  (Read 472 times)
bitsmichel (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:17:05 PM

Any ideas on how to open a hard drive?

It makes a strange ticking noise at the same interval. I think the head is stuck. The screws used on top are of a strange form;
http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u90693/drive_seagate-27945_full.jpg

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jacko

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:18:17 PM

I think they are Torx headed screws. Your local hardware shop should have a set.

Good luck freeing it.
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:19:23 PM

O.o removing the screws of the protective plate? but I believe it's one of the mechanical part of the head that is dieing, and won't be able to do much about it, just back up you harddrive while it's working
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 06:19:29 PM

It makes a strange ticking noise at the same interval. I think the head is stuck. The screws used on top are of a strange form;

If you open it its gone, so why bother? There usually is a vaccum (sometimes a gas) and opening the drive will cause this to suck dust into your drive. Which will headcrash your drive.

The clicking sound usually indicates that your drive had a headcrash and needs to be replaced. Thats nothing you can repair on your own or without spending a lot of money.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:27:53 PM

As others said, don't open the drive, you're most likely to damage it completely.
If it is still working a bit, you should make a full backup while you can.
If not, you'll have to live with the most recent backup that you made (you do make backups, hopefully?)
Then go and buy a new drive, you will most likely get one that's both cheaper and bigger than the old one.
If the drive can't be accessed and you don't have recent backups, you might try disk diagnosis tools, maybe there's something that tells you a bit more about the cause of the problem. But I would not bother with that when you can recover the data from the drive, it's just not worth the effort.

Onkel Paul

jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 08:17:27 PM

You are in luck. At least the harddisk is giving you a warning before it dies  Wink

There is nothing you can do to revive it. Perform a backup as soon as possible. The disk may die while you are backing up, so start with small important files first, then move on to bigger files like music or video.
shinae23

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:44:06 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble..

but opening your hard disk is does more harm than good. 
since it has a ticking sound its going to die..(mine died and now it on hard disk heaven)

well if you still access your hard disk then recover all the needed files you need.

and eventually buy a new one..
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:15:27 AM

Don't open it. There is nothing in there for such noob to be repairable. Sorry, You even don't recognize the screws. You will not be able to diagnose cause of problem, find matching donor, extract and rewrite calibration data and firmware and so on.
If you open it its gone, so why bother? There usually is a vaccum (sometimes a gas) and opening the drive will cause this to suck dust into your drive. Which will headcrash your drive.
Totally wrong. Harddrives contain normal air at ambient pressure. It is clean from dust and is actively filtered by built-in filter as the drive spins.

Hard drives are openable without using clean room and similar technology. But You must have absolutely be sure about cause of problem, have donor parts ready and have repair plan. The air must be clean and you must have steady hands. One single mistake could ruin the drive and data forever. I have repaired some harddrives myself as a last resort to recover data. It is more scary to work on drive containing precious data than disassemble rusty hand grenade.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
d2dtk

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:31:09 AM

Don't open it. There is nothing in there for such noob to be repairable. Sorry, You even don't recognize the screws. You will not be able to diagnose cause of problem, find matching donor, extract and rewrite calibration data and firmware and so on.
Totally wrong. Harddrives contain normal air at ambient pressure. It is clean from dust and is actively filtered by built-in filter as the drive spins.

Hard drives are openable without using clean room and similar technology. But You must have absolutely be sure about cause of problem, have donor parts ready and have repair plan. The air must be clean and you must have steady hands. One single mistake could ruin the drive and data forever. I have repaired some harddrives myself as a last resort to recover data. It is more scary to work on drive containing precious data than disassemble rusty hand grenade.

I'm picking up the 6TB Helium filled disk drive if I can't find a suitable SSD...so some of them do have gas Smiley

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 05:02:14 AM

-snip-
Hard drives are openable without using clean room and similar technology.
-snip-

After reading up on that, I have to say: indeed I was wrong. I allways hear a hissing sound when I open a HDD so I assumed there was at least low pressure. Then you read about these new drives with gas... well, thanks for that. Smiley

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:39:50 PM

I'm picking up the 6TB Helium filled disk drive if I can't find a suitable SSD...so some of them do have gas Smiley
I have read about Hitachi planning to make sch drives. Are they available for purchase on jewegg.com? Damn I must be lagging behind in new technology.
-snip-
Hard drives are openable without using clean room and similar technology.
-snip-

After reading up on that, I have to say: indeed I was wrong. I allways hear a hissing sound when I open a HDD so I assumed there was at least low pressure. Then you read about these new drives with gas... well, thanks for that. Smiley
I think it is the o-ring seal being displaced that makes sound. And the helium filled harddrives if they are available for purchase then they of course must never be opened and unrepairable without specialized workshop.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
sanjoea

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 02:46:37 PM

If you don't know and still don't find the solution better go for service provider help

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: