Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:54:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ROI on gridseeds? really?  (Read 1173 times)
Jamesco (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:55:01 PM

Just wanting opinions of grid seeds and their ROI? Assuming you could get them for their cheapest price of $95-100. Considering extreme luck you could receive them in about 1-2 weeks. Could you see ROI on them? What calculations would you be using?New Asics coming out soon, does this ruin most ROI predictions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dreamreamer

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:15:22 PM

You can get them in 2 days from zoomhash, but for about $144.

For a ROI I figured;

1 grideseed at 350 khash can get you 0.0022715 BTC at cleaverminingpool or about $1.13 in USD if you easily have coinbase send the money to your bank account.

So if you pay $144 for it and make $1.13/day it would take 127 days to pay for itself.

Now keep in mind thats a fair calculation in today's availability, who knows what will happen with profitability changes (and it will happen). Im not factoring in electricity as it uses so little or coinbase fees or any taxes you may/should pay.
canoli

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:54:41 PM

Doubt it but hopeful.   Even at $80 and even if none of the next generation ships until Q4 , a metric shitton of the GSD blades which are 16x the 5chip ones are coming online as we speak..  Huh     You don't have to wait 2 weeks though ... 1-2 days is easily possible to have them in hand.
phzi

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:57:52 PM

A better way to look at ROI is to decide at what difficulty they don't pay for theit power consumption anymore.  Then, gage when you think that might happen.  Gridseeds might be marginally profitable for a long while to come, so ROI might be a ways off, but if power costs aren't too high, you may well reach it.
milkman510

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:13:39 AM

I think it all depends on how long you give yourself to ROI. Electricity on those things are cheap. I gave myself 1 yr for ROI. But i'm not in this for daily profit. I'm looking down the line at the long term success of crypto currency. In my case I have a 2yr plan to hold all the BTC I collect scrypt mining.
startallover

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:36:30 AM

i dont think you can roi in 1 year.  look at the asics coming out at 250 mh. alphat will soon release its 600 mh.
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:47:00 AM

Best thing is to buy coins if you believe their value will rise over time rather than buying 350 kh toys which will be defunct after BIG asics come in the market.Otherwise also ROI on these toys is not possible till they are super cheap.
kocur

Activity: 140

We're not in Wonderland anymore Alice

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:42:06 AM

Just wanting opinions of grid seeds and their ROI? Assuming you could get them for their cheapest price of $95-100. Considering extreme luck you could receive them in about 1-2 weeks. Could you see ROI on them? What calculations would you be using?New Asics coming out soon, does this ruin most ROI predictions?
forget about ROI with it, look at titan, just dont buy it and if, just only for fun

Community Coin: Fair & Free Distribution
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:51:36 AM

forget about ROI with it, look at titan, just dont buy it and if, just only for fun

I would not be too worried about KNC's Titan. Look at how late they are with the Neptunes, plus the fact that the Titan's not even on prototype stage yet (we'd know if it was, alts' difficulty would go up considerably; it has been quite stable for the last weeks even with the recent alt jump in value)
kocur

Activity: 140

We're not in Wonderland anymore Alice

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:26:03 AM

I would not be too worried about KNC's Titan. Look at how late they are with the Neptunes, plus the fact that the Titan's not even on prototype stage yet (we'd know if it was, alts' difficulty would go up considerably; it has been quite stable for the last weeks even with the recent alt jump in value)
You are true, but do you thing that they dont mine with titans now ? During preorder time ? Smiley Be sure they do it Smiley

Community Coin: Fair & Free Distribution
bjalbert

Activity: 166

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:16:44 AM

i dont think you can roi in 1 year.  look at the asics coming out at 250 mh. alphat will soon release its 600 mh.

Where did you hear that? They have a 16Mh/s and 90Mh/s miners supposedly coming out.
milkman510

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:04:49 AM

Where did you hear that? They have a 16Mh/s and 90Mh/s miners supposedly coming out.

The KNC Titian with 300MH. I plan on getting one of these. But no telling when they will deliver.

https://www.kncminer.com/categories/litecoin-mining-hardware
XScrypt

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:37:05 AM

Gridseeds will likely have a positive ROI for some time. With multipools along with multiple lucrative coins, it's going to take awhile to get enough hashrate online to saturate everything to the point where the power sipping gridseed is no longer profitable to run. At average US power rates, LiteCoin would need a difficulty greater than 50,000 before it became unprofitable to run a Gridseed.

LTC- LKdDXfJbCqMHpqTZwhaMKRE51eA7PPsCYy
Jamesco (OP)

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 06:43:37 AM

Gridseeds will likely have a positive ROI for some time. With multipools along with multiple lucrative coins, it's going to take awhile to get enough hashrate online to saturate everything to the point where the power sipping gridseed is no longer profitable to run. At average US power rates, LiteCoin would need a difficulty greater than 50,000 before it became unprofitable to run a Gridseed.

The problem is that ROI is positive return after initial purchase price. So say I spend $4000, I need to make at minimum this amount back +1 for a positive roi. Litecoin for example is currently at ~5000 difficulty so we would need a 10x increase to reach a point where it is unprofitable to turn on your asic. We wont see that in the next few months but we will see a consistent increase in difficulty thus constantly postponing the date when we see positive roi.

The problem is if new asics are 100x more powerful than current gridseeds, could we reach 50,000 difficulty before a positive roi on gridseed miners? And his goes for more profitable altcoin mining as well.
rollingfast69

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:09:54 AM

would it be crazy to buy 100 gridseed at this moment? seems could see roi lot faster on betarigs
grippy54

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:48:25 PM

would it be crazy to buy 100 gridseed at this moment? seems could see roi lot faster on betarigs
There is a lot less risk in renting rigs, but you have to pay a premium to cover someone else's time/money/effort. Owning rigs will always bring more profit (assuming you don't lose money on the hardware), but you have to gauge your risk tolerance, time to invest, and knowledge.
shootme

Activity: 32

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:06:40 PM

Would it be crazy to invest in Microsoft in the early days?
Would it be crazy to invest in Apple when they started?

Would it be crazy to invest in AOL?

It's a risk... The more the risk, the higher the payout....
XScrypt

Activity: 62

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:26:18 AM

The problem is that ROI is positive return after initial purchase price. So say I spend $4000, I need to make at minimum this amount back +1 for a positive roi. Litecoin for example is currently at ~5000 difficulty so we would need a 10x increase to reach a point where it is unprofitable to turn on your asic. We wont see that in the next few months but we will see a consistent increase in difficulty thus constantly postponing the date when we see positive roi.

The problem is if new asics are 100x more powerful than current gridseeds, could we reach 50,000 difficulty before a positive roi on gridseed miners? And his goes for more profitable altcoin mining as well.

I'm aware of how ROI works.

My argument is that even with all the new hashing power coming online it won't be enough to jack the difficulty high enough to stop a gridseed from ever achieving a positive ROI. I really don't see multiple coins reaching 50,000 difficulty by years end.

LTC- LKdDXfJbCqMHpqTZwhaMKRE51eA7PPsCYy
milkman510

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 06:12:04 AM

There is a lot less risk in renting rigs, but you have to pay a premium to cover someone else's time/money/effort. Owning rigs will always bring more profit (assuming you don't lose money on the hardware), but you have to gauge your risk tolerance, time to invest, and knowledge.

I gambled on over 100 Gridseed. Profits are good but they will reduce every month. I'll take those gains and pay for titian in 3 months to keep it going. ROI is a long way away for me. But hey no risk no gain. Sometimes you need to go with your gut.
grippy54

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 01:05:41 PM

I gambled on over 100 Gridseed. Profits are good but they will reduce every month. I'll take those gains and pay for titian in 3 months to keep it going. ROI is a long way away for me. But hey no risk no gain. Sometimes you need to go with your gut.
I think that's a good strategy, and that's what a lot of miners who mine BTC directly do. You'll have to constantly cycle out old equipment every 3 months so that you stay ahead of the curve, and make sure you don't get stuck with worthless gear.

I read in the BTC mining threads that some miners think the actual mining pays for the cost of their equipment... selling that equipment after 3 months is when they generate profit. I guess that assumes that you cover equipment costs in 3 months, but I don't know if that's completely possible anymore.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: