Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:16:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] Jesse's Official Overclocking (voltmod) Guide For G-Blade & Gridseeds v2  (Read 11044 times)
gtraah

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 05:31:02 PM

The amount of power plugs (or barrels) which you can connect is directly determined by the amount of watt you have available. (Amount of watt you have) divided by (the amount of devices you want to power * the watt each requires). If the result is less than 1.00 then Bad. If over 1.00 then Good Smiley

Thanks, Ok so lets just say I have 1200watt available .. What I was asking is will 1 single 6PIN Pcie connector going into 10 Barrels -be sufficient for 10 v3modded grids? Since they are like 20-25watt each thats like 250watt max On a single 6PIN, .... I have a few here that came with my grids, 1 PCIE (6pin) going into 10 barrels, but this was created for unmodded pods which is why i am not sure if we can still plug 10 in if they are modded.

Single 6-pin PCI-E Connector is rated @ 75W ...12V power delivery...about 6.5 Amp = 3 OC gridseed...

Single 8-pin PCI-E Connector is rated @ 150W ...12V power delivery...about 13 Amp = 6 OC gridseed...

Hope it helps, buddy...

ZiG

What I was stating is the STANDARD specs for 6- and 8-pin PCI-E connector...
Of course nobody is preventing you from trying to suck few more Amp out of them...over the rated specs...Like overclocking the CPU/GPU...at your own risk...they have some reserves...

Your question was how many Gridseeds to run of them... Wink

Maybe 5...and 10 max...but you are pushing it...

GPU is getting additional 75 W from the PCI-E slot 16x or 8x ...I did not mention that because Gridseeds don't use PCI-E slot or interface...

This is not invalidating the PCI-E specs above...

FYI...I used to run 5 GPU rigs...3 x 290x each...14MH total...just sold them last week at lost... Huh

I actually JUST --made ROI on mine + I now have a Quadfire 290x Build happening, and I have all MY top quality PSU's and motherboards laying around I will build my mate a good computer for $500 so this will put me more in front... If I sold all my setup I would be quite a good percentage over ROI----this is because I was able to source my Cards VERY cheap I actually sold some for the amount I bought them Tongue... I had very similar to you in Hashwise, But I wanted the least possible $ spent with the least possible room taken.... Total 14 x 290x on 2 Rigs - 7 x 290x per Rig.. Yeh as that guys research makes so much more sense basically almost 400w for a 1 x 6PIN & 1 x 8PIN...

lets just say I was going to try it and there is not enough power, this will not cause my seeds to blow right? they just wont turn on or soemthing yeh?
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:20:13 PM

The amount of power plugs (or barrels) which you can connect is directly determined by the amount of watt you have available. (Amount of watt you have) divided by (the amount of devices you want to power * the watt each requires). If the result is less than 1.00 then Bad. If over 1.00 then Good Smiley

Thanks, Ok so lets just say I have 1200watt available .. What I was asking is will 1 single 6PIN Pcie connector going into 10 Barrels -be sufficient for 10 v3modded grids? Since they are like 20-25watt each thats like 250watt max On a single 6PIN, .... I have a few here that came with my grids, 1 PCIE (6pin) going into 10 barrels, but this was created for unmodded pods which is why i am not sure if we can still plug 10 in if they are modded.

Single 6-pin PCI-E Connector is rated @ 75W ...12V power delivery...about 6.5 Amp = 3 OC gridseed...

Single 8-pin PCI-E Connector is rated @ 150W ...12V power delivery...about 13 Amp = 6 OC gridseed...

Hope it helps, buddy...

ZiG

What I was stating is the STANDARD specs for 6- and 8-pin PCI-E connector...
Of course nobody is preventing you from trying to suck few more Amp out of them...over the rated specs...Like overclocking the CPU/GPU...at your own risk...they have some reserves...

Your question was how many Gridseeds to run of them... Wink

Maybe 5...and 10 max...but you are pushing it...

GPU is getting additional 75 W from the PCI-E slot 16x or 8x ...I did not mention that because Gridseeds don't use PCI-E slot or interface...

This is not invalidating the PCI-E specs above...

FYI...I used to run 5 GPU rigs...3 x 290x each...14MH total...just sold them last week at lost... Huh

I actually JUST --made ROI on mine + I now have a Quadfire 290x Build happening, and I have all MY top quality PSU's and motherboards laying around I will build my mate a good computer for $500 so this will put me more in front... If I sold all my setup I would be quite a good percentage over ROI----this is because I was able to source my Cards VERY cheap I actually sold some for the amount I bought them Tongue... I had very similar to you in Hashwise, But I wanted the least possible $ spent with the least possible room taken.... Total 14 x 290x on 2 Rigs - 7 x 290x per Rig.. Yeh as that guys research makes so much more sense basically almost 400w for a 1 x 6PIN & 1 x 8PIN...

lets just say I was going to try it and there is not enough power, this will not cause my seeds to blow right? they just wont turn on or soemthing yeh?

If you exceed the specs...the wires/connectors are gong to get hot...eventually could melt ...and cause short or fire...do it @ your own risk, buddy... Wink

EDIT...: If the Gridseeds are starving for power...they could act the way they want...UNPREDICTABLE... I guess...
gtraah

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:54:05 PM
Last edit: April 21, 2014, 11:42:42 AM by gtraah

If you exceed the specs...the wires/connectors are gong to get hot...eventually could melt ...and cause short or fire...do it @ your own risk, buddy... Wink

EDIT...: If the Gridseeds are starving for power...they could act the way they want...UNPREDICTABLE... I guess...

Damm, not what I wanted to hear, I wish there was an easier way. I hope its not only 3 Modded Seeds per 6-pin Id find that such a waste If you ask me..

i just had a thought to find out EXACTLY how much the 6 or 8 pin are pulling from my 290x OC mining... Tomorrow when I get up , I am going to plug a watt-meter to one of the PSU's - I'll have 3 PSU's on one rig using 2 x add2psu adapter for this test, Now I actually have one of my cards split off into 2 PSU's 6pin in 1 and the 8pin in the other - ppl used to say this isnt good, well i have been doing it for months as I dont see any issue with it, the card is what controls the power coming in and will only take whats needed so doesnt really matter where the power is coming from... anyway here is what I will do.. 1st right down the number on the wattmeter when only 8 pin is plugged in & mining, the 6 pin will be in the other PSU which I am not measuring... once written the wattage number that the PSU with 8 pin is in only, ill reboot but this time have both 6 + 8pin start mining again and then right the figures down... The difference in the numbers will give me the amount the 6pin was pulling as it was missing 1st and then re-measured with it plugged in the same psu. I will then repeat but this time with the 8 pin.

Since the 290x is known to take 300w+ I will now know more accurately what these cables will handle safely as I have been running these cards like this for months without a single glitch the cables are not hot at all.

EDIT:  Ok Guys so I did it and its just what I thought the specs that have been stated much around the net are greatly reduced to what these connectors can really handle... As that guy researched seems to be correct, I did the test myself with the watt-meter to see what the 290x is actually pulling from these connectors, lets not forget I have been running like this for months with all PSU 80+ Gold Corsair not a single issue, I never needed to do the test before though so never I bothered to chuck the watt-meter on it for this specific purpose ... Heres what I found... My 290x was OC  above the normal frequency/clocks and I told Cgminer to allow 30% more power if needed, but I only allow maximum fan speed to be 85% unless overheat is detected, No overheat was detected for this test so only 85% of the fan speed was in use.

RESULTS (Only what the connectors pull from a 290x)

Total watt For 6PIN & 8PIN = 310-315Watt <<<< This is ONLY the PSU PCIE-connectors I did NOT measure what the MB slot is pulling so really it would be 315watt + Whatever the MB slot is taking..... FYI if your interested - I was using a 16x to 1x Riser, Unpowered since the MB has its dedicated power for the PCIe

6 Pin - 100w - 105w

8 pin - 205w -210w

Well above the famous specs, as I thought, AMD would know this and would not release a card needing the 6 & 8PIN knowing that the card exceeds the connectors specs.

Please note - the above power is only what the 290x is asking from the connectors who knows how much more these connectors can give out, and I am betting its what the guy on my previous post >>> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=575315.msg6307446#msg6307446 has researched, 6 Pin @ 192watt and the 8Pin @ 288watt
amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 02:52:34 PM

so great work on the tut there.

Small tip for removing the resisitor R52 - or any smd resistor -  without tweezers is to put a bit of solder on each end of the resistor and drag it across the top to form a solder bridge. then heat it up and lift/pull it off. BE warned though doing it this way pretty much makes the resistor unuseable as its buried in the solder.
happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 03:10:40 PM

Would I have to undue Vmod 1 to do Vmod 3?
If so, and to clarify, is there anyway to leave Vmod 1 in place and add a different sized resistor at the R52 location or other location for example to get Vmod 3 results?
Jess85 (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 07:34:01 PM

Would I have to undue Vmod 1 to do Vmod 3?
If so, and to clarify, is there anyway to leave Vmod 1 in place and add a different sized resistor at the R52 location or other location for example to get Vmod 3 results?

To my knowledge you would have to remove VMOD1 completely before performing VMOD3. If you try running both at the same, if it works or not, please report here your results so we have another testimonial to go by.

Regarding your second question, if you find out how, let me know and I will add to guide.
rsx19

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 08:14:34 AM

tried using a graphite pencil, guess that only works on bit furys :p

BlackCoin For poor Shibe - BMobXjx9TN96a1qmZA9pSSzJur6UH9PWgU
michelem
Legendary

Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 05:17:17 PM

hey many thanks Decagrog! I'm going to try it. I have seen your mod, very well done, as soon as I brake one of my pods I will send to you of course Smiley

Do you (dudes) know why the last picture (figure 12) of this guide shows an axial resistor in the "mod area"? Is it only an arbitrary choice? I mean, may be in that pod @jess85 tried an axial instead an SMD?

This is the photo

Get Minera. Your next bitcoin mining dashboard. Donations are welcome
rsx19

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 09:33:48 PM

just tried the first mod and it didnt work for ne, kept getting unrecognizable device in windows, i reversed it and it worked. but what what went wrong

BlackCoin For poor Shibe - BMobXjx9TN96a1qmZA9pSSzJur6UH9PWgU
nemercry

Activity: 339

Vice versa is not a meal.

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 11:15:02 PM

hey many thanks Decagrog! I'm going to try it. I have seen your mod, very well done, as soon as I brake one of my pods I will send to you of course Smiley

Do you (dudes) know why the last picture (figure 12) of this guide shows an axial resistor in the "mod area"? Is it only an arbitrary choice? I mean, may be in that pod @jess85 tried an axial instead an SMD?

This is the photo

Hello michelem,

actually that was just my first test unit and the mod used there is outdated.
Just replace the R52 thats all you need abnd the best you'll get.

Jess85 (OP)

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 11:23:32 PM

This is the photo

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/968241/wrG8R6H.jpg

This is Nemercry's photo contribution given only to highlight where to place the optional cooling pad/shrim. For anything else going on in that photo I would recommend referring to Nemercry directly.
Decagrog

Activity: 289
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 10:03:06 AM

No problem, just watch out if you replace the thermal pad with a (good) thermal paste: you must mill the heatskin over the U20 chip and the oscillator, and also check by pressing the heatsink a couple of times that the paste touch evenly every chips...
Some gridseed that I've modded have a the heatsink fins too long and when you remove the pad they touch each other, only solution is to mill the fins a couple of mm or replace the original pad with a better one (like phobya)

Bezinga

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 27, 2014, 03:05:05 AM

Great guide, thanks for the updates!

Keep up the great work Smiley
totoy

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 10:18:58 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2014, 10:47:49 PM by totoy

Hi,
What is the resistor above of blue circle and the last 2 resistor at the right side of r52?
Mine came off while trying to clean the extra solder Grin Grin Grin
And what size of wire did you use?
Thanks Smiley
tc61

Activity: 494
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 11:49:06 PM

Does anyone know where I can purchase the FB26 from? Its the one between the usb plug and the gold mounting standoff...

Thx
gtraah

View Profile
May 16, 2014, 05:49:13 PM

Can someone please confirm that this mofset will work with our Grids?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SI7456DP-Vishay-Siliconix-Mosfet-N-So-8-/130943957886?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1e7cde3b7e
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 01:48:19 AM

Can someone make a youtube tutorial for noobs?
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 03:03:35 AM

Jess...

What's happening with G-Blade guide...?

Did you forget...or NDA... Wink

ZiG
chadwickx16

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:43:46 PM

Jesse,

Do you still work with the guys at sevengnomes? I'm looking to have some GS rounds modded.

Chad

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████████████
░░░██████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████████████
░░████████████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░████████
░░███████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░██████████
░░░██████████
░░░████████████░
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░▀███████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████████████████
░░░░░▄▄██████████████████████████████████
░░░░█████████████████████████████████████
░░░████████████
░░███████████
░██████████▌
▐█████████▌
▐█████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███
▐██████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
░███████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
░▐████████████▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████
░░▐███████████████▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄████████████████
░░░░███████████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░███████████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░████████████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████████████████████
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███

███
███
!
#
HOMEPAGE
ANNOUNCEMENT
JOIN US ON SLACK
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 04:59:18 PM

Jesse,

Do you still work with the guys at sevengnomes? I'm looking to have some GS rounds modded.

Chad

Are those guys actually legit?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: