Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:35:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-04-18] The New Indian Express: Bitcoins Being Used to Bribe Voters?  (Read 2139 times)
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:46:37 AM

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/tamil_nadu/Bitcoins-Being-Used-to-Bribe-Voters/2014/04/18/article2174811.ece

K Ramasubramanian, who contested the 2009 Lok Sabha elections from Coimbatore, has written a letter to CEC V S Sampath and Tamil Nadu CEO Praveen Kumar accusing two upwardly mobile candidates contesting the present elections from two different constituencies under two different parties of ‘collecting the mobile numbers and email addresses of several young voters promising them to transfer sizeable amount of “bitcoins” to their accounts if they promise to vote in favour of these two candidates in the two respective Lok Sabha constituencies.

Unbelievable... Bitcoins used to bribe voters.... and that too in India!
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:30:28 AM

Hahaha..  I would love to get some Bitcoins from them, after they robbed us of all our hard-earned money and spent them all on scandals.
Whom should I send my wallet address?  Grin
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:35:08 AM

Hahaha..  I would love to get some Bitcoins from them, after they robbed us of all our hard-earned money and spent them all on scandals.
Whom should I send my wallet address?  Grin

Are you from India? I think you will find the necessary information in this forum itself. I've heard that some of the Indian political parties are planning to open an official BTC-for-vote thread very soon. But you need to bargain on your own. I am not from India, so I can't help. Sorry for that.  Grin
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:09:43 PM

Oh what fun!

I think it's wrong to sell one's vote (voting a certain way to receive money) but am interested to see how this plays out.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:16:41 PM

Oh what fun!

I think it's wrong to sell one's vote (voting a certain way to receive money) but am interested to see how this plays out.

Not only the voters. In India sometimes the minor political parties also indulge in vote selling. In a  constituency where the winning margin is 1% or 2%,   minor parties having 3% or 4% of the vote can sell their votes for hundreds of thousands of $$$.
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 06:32:06 PM

Oh what fun!

Not only the voters. In India sometimes the minor political parties also indulge in vote selling. In a  constituency where the winning margin is 1% or 2%,   minor parties having 3% or 4% of the vote can sell their votes for hundreds of thousands of $$$.

Cool!  I wonder whether or not having a functioning market for votes improves the situation over there.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3261

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:56:16 PM

What fun the press will have with this! I can see it now ...

Bitcoin, the mysterious virtual currency used for drug trafficking and gun smuggling is now being used to support vote fraud.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 03:02:34 AM

Cool!  I wonder whether or not having a functioning market for votes improves the situation over there.

I don't think that there is a market like that right now, but if you want you can work out one. India is the land of elections. There are national elections, state elections and local elections. So these markets can come in handy. And if Bitcoins are used in the elections, everyone here will benefit from it as well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: