Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:02:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why has Ripple decreased so much in Market cap? Used to be second to Bitcoin  (Read 5301 times)
DrBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:12:58 PM

It used to be:

Bitcoin
Ripple
Litecoin
Peercoin

Now Litecoin has taken the second spot again in market cap.

Are sites like coinmarketcap.com calculating differently? Or has Ripple volume decreased and value been cut back?

Explanations? I'm just curious, it doesn't matter too me as I'm not an investor.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:21:07 PM

Ripple is just a pump-and-dump altcoin. It will die out quietly sometime soon. Litecoin is also an altcoin, but it is the most trusted altcoin. You can't even compare Ripple with Litecoin.
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:36:33 PM

Ripple is just a pump-and-dump altcoin. It will die out quietly sometime soon. Litecoin is also an altcoin, but it is the most trusted altcoin. You can't even compare Ripple with Litecoin.

Ripple does seem to be loosing the battle but it most definitely isn't "just a pump-and-dump altcoin." It's part of the Ripple network that is trying to become "Bitcoin 2.0" where you can have any currency and pay in any currency and trade in any currency in a somewhat decentralized manor.

I'm not real educated on this, but as I understand it's not completely decentralized and so the community hasn't really adopted it. But the ideas behind it are really cool whether it's THE solution or not.
princesultan1

Activity: 132

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:36:46 PM

Do you even know anything about ripple?

Ripple is not just another altcoin. It actually serves a purpose. It is also the further thing  from a pump and dump.

Educate yourself before posting something like this.
DerKorb

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:37:43 PM

they changed their default marketcap calculation to "market cap by available supply" recently.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:44:03 PM

Ripple is not just another altcoin. It actually serves a purpose. It is also the further thing  from a pump and dump.

Well, Ripple has nothing to do on the cryptocurrency market cap because it is not a cryptocurrency at all !

Ripple is an IOU centralised system that work exactly like a private bank except that the total of units is fixed.

The Ripple network based on ledgers can be so easily corrupted that no one should put any money in it.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:55:41 PM

Well, feel free to "corrupt" a ledger in Ripple, if it is sooo easy! Roll Eyes

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1130

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:57:40 PM

Well, feel free to "corrupt" a ledger in Ripple, if it is sooo easy! Roll Eyes

Give me some money and I do it.
coinft

Activity: 187

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:10:46 PM

Comparing Ripple and altcoins is an insult to altcoins. At least altcoins transfer some kind of value, while Ripple can only transfer debt.

Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:11:41 PM

Well, Ripple has nothing to do on the cryptocurrency market cap because it is not a cryptocurrency at all !

Ripple is an IOU centralised system that work exactly like a private bank except that the total of units is fixed.

The Ripple network based on ledgers can be so easily corrupted that no one should put any money in it.

Exactly this. Ripple isn't a cryptocurrency, it's centralized...and controlled by people..Which makes it worth nothing since those people can become corrupt.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
beatljuice

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:12:27 PM

I have $10 US on the Ripple network. I just had to try it when I heard about it. It was a bit of a pain to get it up and running. And then for two days it looked like it wasn't working at all (no transactions indicated) and finally my money showed up.

You can try to steal that if you want though it won't be there much longer as I'll probably be converting it to bitcoin in the next few days and sending it to Coinbase.
MrBea

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

Bitcorns

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:21:34 PM

It seems like the marketcap site is not counting the whole 99 billion XRP just the remaining 20 some odd the company has left.  Ripple is shit but I wouodnt really call it an altcoin.  Volume of trading is so low though the market cap means little

Gathering bitcorns.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:10:53 PM

ripple = electronic fiat = centralized = rubbish

If you want proof of stake (premined) use NXT

Ripple is like E-gold without gold how useless!!!!!!!!!!

Truth is the new hatespeech.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:19:16 PM

Ripple is in no way decentralized, has nothing to do with the cryptography we use with these coins.
It can be compared to one of those shitcoins in the altcoins section.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:08:24 PM

ripple = electronic fiat = centralized = rubbish

If you want proof of stake (premined) use NXT

Ripple is like E-gold without gold how useless!!!!!!!!!!

Ripple is rubbish?  I have no reason to suspect otherwise.

I've asked several times on this forum for folks to explain
its value or why I should care about it, or why I'd want
to use it, and I've never heard any convincing arguments
or merits.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:18:41 PM

OK... Mr. Sultan. I am quite satisfied with my education level. And I have been studying all the shitcoins for more than 2 years now. I know what purpose Ripple serves.  Anyway... someone has already posted a reply for you...

Comparing Ripple and altcoins is an insult to altcoins. At least altcoins transfer some kind of value, while Ripple can only transfer debt.

Satisfied?  Grin
gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:21:37 PM

I wonder how even Ripple could of been second after bitcoin and litecoin 3rd? Litecoin is much better then ripple in all ways. So how could it even happen.. But past is past, Litecoin is in his place now.
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:32:15 PM

Maybe people are realizing Open Transactions which fundamentally more open and transparent than Ripple is a better way forward.
byt411

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 05:35:05 PM

I wonder how even Ripple could of been second after bitcoin and litecoin 3rd? Litecoin is much better then ripple in all ways. So how could it even happen.. But past is past, Litecoin is in his place now.

Because the XRP was not mined, just "made", so therefore it would have a larger market cap.
~Coinseeker~

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 06:09:17 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2014, 06:21:53 PM by ~Coinseeker~

The best thing that happened to Ripple, was speculators and single-currency thinkers, not rushing to Ripple to "pump" the internal currency, XRP.  It's not a speculative currency.  I know that's hard for many of you to understand.  After all, that's all blockchain coins are good for...speculation.  Not knocking it, just saying, I get the limited thinking.

Ripple is the value web.  It doesn't take an ideological position as to which currencies the world will use and try to jam those down everyones throats.  Just as the web doesn't attempt to dictate what type of information is available.  Instead, it offers the ability to remove centralized exchanges and central clearing houses, allowing the use of IOU's, you already possess (In those exchanges, bank accounts, Paypal, etc.) and gives you freedom to exchange them for other things of value.  As apposed to having your IOU's trapped in those central entities.  Think Gox.  Total loss for people with IOU's there.  With Ripple, those same IOU's Gox is sitting on, could have been exchanged for other things of value, even after they halted withdrawals.  Even right now.  They're your IOU's after all.  Shouldn't you have control over them?  

Truth is, most of you should avoid Ripple at this point because the raw protocol is really beyond the comprehension of most novice crypto users.  Developers will love it.  No question about it, but where single currencies are very simple and easy to digest, Ripple is a true monetary system and monetary systems are very complex by nature.  Trying to fit Ripple into a "coin" box, will always leave you frustrated, confused and of course, blaming the protocol because it's something you don't understand.  Typical way of saving face, I suppose.

Nevertheless, hang in there.  Whether you get Ripple or not, it's going to change the way the world transacts and that is a good thing for Bitcoin and all things of value.  So don't make Ripple the scapegoat or competition to your little currencies.  Nope, your currencies are individually responsible for their own success or failure.  Ripple is just here to see that there's a way they can reach everybody, where the live, and with what they use locally as currency, without all the middlemen.  

Welcome to the world of distributed exchange.  The future is so bright.  Cool

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: