Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:07:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Betting Exchange Question  (Read 957 times)
CoinFriendApp (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 08:46:46 PM

https://i.imgur.com/VpJgiaz.png

If I lay "Over 4.5 Goals", couldn't I also BACK 'Under 4.5 Goals" risk-free?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deadley
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1064

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 08:53:26 PM

Yes, laying means you are backing opposite.

CoinFriendApp (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 08:58:17 PM

https://i.imgur.com/VpJgiaz.png

Yes but how does it work if I can make an 'offer' at 1.67 then at the same time back the opposite side at 2.5. Isn't that basically arbitrage?
deadley
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:09:01 PM

Yes but how does it work if I can make an 'offer' at 1.67 then at the same time back the opposite side at 2.5. Isn't that basically arbitrage?

It is but all depends what odds you will get on odds side, normally you will not get better odds on back side.
And if you lay over 4.5 and back under 4.5, you are just doing backing under 4.5 in both bet.

CoinFriendApp (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:14:52 PM

It is but all depends what odds you will get on odds side, normally you will not get better odds on back side.

What do you mean? So the 2.5 I see I can't actually get? If I want to back 'Under 4.5' and I want to be 100% sure I will be matched, do I bid at 2.54?

And if you lay over 4.5 and back under 4.5, you are just doing backing under 4.5 in both bet.

Yes but the market right now says I can lay over at 1.67 but back under at 4.5.. that's what I don't get, that discrepancy.. :S
ctlaltdefeat

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:32:45 PM

What do you mean? So the 2.5 I see I can't actually get? If I want to back 'Under 4.5' and I want to be 100% sure I will be matched, do I bid at 2.54?

Yes but the market right now says I can lay over at 1.67 but back under at 4.5.. that's what I don't get, that discrepancy.. :S

If you back under at 2.5 and back over at 1.64 with an equal potential win, then your expected result is a loss, if that's what you're asking.
CoinFriendApp (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:37:05 PM

If you back under at 2.5 and back over at 1.64 with an equal potential win, then your expected result is a loss, if that's what you're asking.

Whoops you're right yeah, correction: Why would anyone LAY over at 1.67 (hoping that 'Under' happens) when they can BACK under (hoping that 'Under' happens) themselves at 2.5?
ctlaltdefeat

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:54:21 PM

Whoops you're right yeah, correction: Why would anyone LAY over at 1.67 (hoping that 'Under' happens) when they can BACK under (hoping that 'Under' happens) themselves at 2.5?

Laying 1.67 gives raw back odds of around 2.49, so I guess it would be slightly better to back at 2.5, but not anything dramatic.
EDIT: It could be that your confusion comes from the fact that you haven't realized that 1.67 is the BACKER's odds, not the LAYER's
CoinFriendApp (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 09:59:44 PM

Laying 1.67 gives raw back odds of around 2.49, so I guess it would be slightly better to back at 2.5, but not anything dramatic.

What does raw back odds mean? :S Isn't laying at 1.67 just mean you will pay back 1.67 * [what the backer stakes]? So if I lay [Over] $100 at 1.67 then I win $60 if it's [Under], or I lose $100 if it's [Over] no?
suryc

Activity: 298

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:00:15 PM

I'm just curious, what betting exchange is this and what others are available out there?

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
deadley
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:05:41 PM

I'm just curious, what betting exchange is this and what others are available out there?

This is Betfair, there is another 2 more Betdaq and Matchbook.
I always prefer Exchange then book because far better odds.

ctlaltdefeat

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:22:16 PM

What does raw back odds mean? :S Isn't laying at 1.67 just mean you will pay back 1.67 * [what the backer stakes]? So if I lay [Over] $100 at 1.67 then I win $60 if it's [Under], or I lose $100 if it's [Over] no?

The 1.67 refers to what the backer gets. If you lay over at 1.67 and backer bets 100usd then if it's over you get the 100usd and if it's under you lose 67usd, leaving you with a net of 33 usd left.
It's raw because because it doesn't take into account the 5% profit commission.
CoinFriendApp (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 12:20:54 AM

I get it now!! omg I had to pull out excel to do all the math.

Thanks for your help!! Smiley
titulng

Activity: 484

HubrisOne

View Profile
July 17, 2014, 09:44:46 AM

Cheesy  what is the site you bet? only this one?

◆

▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄▄▄            ▄▄       ▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██       ██      ██       ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄      ██      ▐██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▄▄██▀▀▀██▄▄        ▀██▄     ██      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀       ██      ██       ██              ██               ██      ██      ██              ██▀       ▀██         ██▄    ██      ▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██      ██       ██      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀      ██      ▐██▄▄▄▄        ▐█           █▌      █▄ ▀██   ██      ██▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██      ██       ██      ██▀▀▀▀▀██        ██▀▀▀▀▀▀        ██        ▀▀▀▀██▄      ▐█           █▌      ██   ██▄ ██      ██▀▀▀▀
██       ██      ██       ██      ██      ██       ██   ▄▄         ██             ▐█▌     ▐█▄         ▄█▌      ██    ▀█▄██      ██
██       ██       ██▄   ▄██       ██     ▄█▀       ██    ▀█▄       ██            ▄██       ▀██▄▄   ▄▄██▀       ██     ▀███      ██
██       ██        ▀▀███▀▀        ████████▀        ██      ▀█      ██      ███████▀           ▀▀███▀▀          ██       ██      ██████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

██████████████████████████████████████████████

▄███████████▄     
██▀       ▐█▀█▄   
██        ▐█  ▀█▄ 
██        ▐█    ▀█▄
██        ▝▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██               ██
██  ███████████  ██
██               ██
██  ██████       ██
██               ██
██▄             ▄██