Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 09:47:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gox coins recovery is a must for bitcoin to survive  (Read 1080 times)
pblack4 (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:56:09 PM

It's simply unacceptable to lose 7% of all bitcoins and say now that mtgox is out we can go on.
Bitcoin will lose its credibility and will fail. The whole community has to understand this and join forces to discover the truth and find a solution to recover 100% of all lost/stolen coins.  The only way for bitcoin to survive is to show the real power of the blockchain.
David48l

Activity: 600
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:22:36 PM

I totally agree, I do not think bitcoin no survive but greatly hinder its expansion for a few years

BITCOIN CASH IS THE REAL BITCOIN, BITCOIN SEGWIT IS PAYPAL
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:30:46 PM

It's simply unacceptable to lose 7% of all bitcoins and say now that mtgox is out we can go on.
Bitcoin will lose its credibility and will fail. The whole community has to understand this and join forces to discover the truth and find a solution to recover 100% of all lost/stolen coins.  The only way for bitcoin to survive is to show the real power of the blockchain.

Bitcoin has credibility based on the fact that Governments can never inflate the money supply.
The Bitcoin community suffered enough because of Gox and full recovery is not required for BTC to survive.

rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 10:38:10 PM

lol ... u kids make me smile  Cheesy
freedombit

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:17:33 PM

Bitcoin will not "fail" because somewhere, out there, someone will be mining and keeping the blockchain alive.

BUT - There is a significant "credibility" at stake for Bitcoin in the MtGox case. If these coins are not recovered in full, then Bitcoin will loose credibility. I have been a big proponent of Bitcoin for quite some time, but now I am actually considering to look at other crypto currencies. If I can't trust the Bitcoin community, maybe I can find a crypto community that I can.
OhShei8e
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1059

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:18:59 PM

Bitcoin will lose its credibility and will fail. The whole community has to understand this and join forces to discover the truth and find a solution to recover 100% of all lost/stolen coins.  The only way for bitcoin to survive is to show the real power of the blockchain.

This will happen. But can take years. In the meantime everyone has to make his own decisions. For me Bitcoin is contaminated as long as the matter is not clear. But I do not sell now. I just do nothing with my remaining coins. In my opinion there will bee a very big bang in the End and then you would rather have nothing to do with Bitcoin.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=572767.msg6244111#msg6244111

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:29:58 PM

The news media handling of MtGox "propaganda" did great damage.

There is no substitute for personal responsibility.
If you do not send your BTC to criminals, then they cannot easily steal your BTC.
Preventing the next big crime is also very important.

OhShei8e
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1059

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 01:24:41 AM

If you do not send your BTC to criminals, then they cannot easily steal your BTC.

Right. Therefore I have stopped using coins, because everyone could be criminal.
itsunderstood

Activity: 364

American1973

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 03:46:58 AM

Right. Therefore I have stopped using coins, because everyone could be criminal.

Oh no your logic is flawed, because, there are not many Mark Karples around.

It's called "redictio ad absurdum" what you did there.  One big lame idiot who wrote crap PHP code and encouraged everyone to use his poor supra-TX API.

No man, he is not everyone, he is a specific dude that people chose to do business with.  They should collect directly from him or pay the yakuza.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 06:33:58 AM

There are not many Mark Karpeles around.
He's just the latest of an long list of crooked Bitcoin exchange operators. It's embarrassing for Bitcoin how crooked and/or incompetent the exchange operators are.
pblack4 (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 06:55:26 AM

If terrorists steal a nuclear weapon, we can blame and ridicule the government for its incompetence and its weak security systems.. but we cannot ignore that a nuclear weapon has been stolen.. the real important thing is to find the nuclear weapon as soon as possible for the good of humanity.
7% of bitcoins in wrong hands will change the future of bitcoin
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 12:37:16 PM

I understand that this would be bad news for other holders of bitcoin, but really when it comes to cryptocurrencies we have lots of choice.  The alleged bitcoin thieves know that if they dump their holdings or otherwise misuse the stolen loot they can destroy the value of bitcoin before they can fully cash out.  They also know we have many other currencies that users could switch to.  Bitcoin has the first mover advantage, brand name, and the fact that people have for whatever reason piled massive amounts of money in to it.  But that's it.  Bitcoin doesn't do anything unique that dozens of other cryptocurrencies do.
freedombit

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 03:54:54 PM

I understand that this would be bad news for other holders of bitcoin, but really when it comes to cryptocurrencies we have lots of choice.  The alleged bitcoin thieves know that if they dump their holdings or otherwise misuse the stolen loot they can destroy the value of bitcoin before they can fully cash out.  They also know we have many other currencies that users could switch to.  Bitcoin has the first mover advantage, brand name, and the fact that people have for whatever reason piled massive amounts of money in to it.  But that's it.  Bitcoin doesn't do anything unique that dozens of other cryptocurrencies.

Keep in mind that cashing the perceived value is not the only "bad" thing you can do with 7%. There are many other things someone can do wih 7% of the market. This has more to do with the world outside and not on your computer.
El Cabron
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 04:16:14 PM

this thread is very related

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=574759.0

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
freedombit

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 04:59:00 PM

Somewhat related.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: