Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:25:07 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: altcoin blocks  (Read 773 times)
bracek (OP)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:23:37 PM

are they, or their hashes, usable in bitcoin blockchain,

is that danger to bitcoin blockchain in any way ?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4525

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:48:04 PM

can euro's appear in a dollar bank account? .. no

but people are free to earn bitcoin or alt coins and free to spend each as they like.

bitcoin blockchain (the protocol) wont break, thy are totally separate things, just with similiar features or different features depending on which coin you choose. so dont worry about bitcoin.

i would be more concerned about wasting has power on an altcoin that ends up giving you worthless coins (pump 'n' dump alts)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 09:56:41 PM

The idea is that you mine the altcoins and then trade for BTC, immediately.  At least that's what my pool does.

Sure, one could hold onto some altcoins and see if their value increases, but the method I mentioned is what is more commonly done, as I understand it.  That way, there is no worry about "pump n dump" because you already dumped it. 

I know some people think that is "wrong" but it is how a currency exchange or market works, imho.
bracek (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:52:11 AM

I am talking about actual numbers that are a block hash,

can they be reused, that hash, to mess with with bitcoin blockchain ?

for eample,
some altcoin miner finds new block and that 000000000000000023494920420402 hash actually fits the current bitcoin blockchain requirement, and uses it to "hurt" bitcoin in some way

I hope I now clarified my question
ghur

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:11:36 AM

No. Blocks found on a different chain won't validate and won't be accepted on bitcoin's blockchain.

If it was that easy to mess with Bitcoin, non of us would be using it in the first place.

doge: D8q8dR6tEAcaJ7U65jP6AAkiiL2CFJaHah
Automated faucet, pays daily: Qoinpro
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:24:23 AM

I am talking about actual numbers that are a block hash,

can they be reused, that hash, to mess with with bitcoin blockchain ?

for eample,
some altcoin miner finds new block and that 000000000000000023494920420402 hash actually fits the current bitcoin blockchain requirement, and uses it to "hurt" bitcoin in some way

I hope I now clarified my question

Hashes are computed using the block header as input. Elements of the block header depend on many things, including the transactions included in the block. In the block header there is some free space that can be filled with any value (the so-called nonce). The goal of the miner is to create a block header in such a way that its hash falls below a certain target value. So while the hash of a blockheader of an altcoin may fall below the target of the bitcoin blockchain, the block that this hash was computed from will not be a valid Bitcoin block, because the difficulty value embedded in its header will be different and the transactions included in the block will be invalid on the Bitcoin network.
bracek (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:35:25 AM

Hashes are computed using the block header as input. Elements of the block header depend on many things, including the transactions included in the block. In the block header there is some free space that can be filled with any value (the so-called nonce). The goal of the miner is to create a block header in such a way that its hash falls below a certain target value. So while the hash of a blockheader of an altcoin may fall below the target of the bitcoin blockchain, the block that this hash was computed from will not be a valid Bitcoin block, because the difficulty value embedded in its header will be different and the transactions included in the block will be invalid on the Bitcoin network.

ok, now it is much clearer

hash is proof of work, but cant be submitted as the actual work,
work is the block produced,
altcoin miner must be actually mining bitcoin to be able to use finding on bitcoin
Dogtanian

Activity: 756

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 01:16:32 PM

No, but maybe some features of alts could eventually be implemented into Bitcoin if they were of value.
gagalady
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:32:58 PM

No there are no "danger" for bitcoin blockchain, it's not connected in anyway as far as I know.
JJKirsch

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 04:39:25 PM

if some features of alts could  be implemented into Bitcoin it would be a very good addition. Don't you think so?

Donations please - 7df55268-8d44-4dec-a085-d4488eff87f1
ghur

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 05:11:59 PM

if some features of alts could  be implemented into Bitcoin it would be a very good addition. Don't you think so?

Good features from altcoins can be implemented in bitcoin.
But that's entirely unrelated to their respective blockchains and doesn't cause any interaction between the 2.

If altcoin X implements something cool, bitcoin devs can just take the code and add it to bitcoin.
Then when everyone upgrades to the new bitcoin version, they have 'something cool' too.

doge: D8q8dR6tEAcaJ7U65jP6AAkiiL2CFJaHah
Automated faucet, pays daily: Qoinpro
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:51:40 PM

There many altcoins that use the same method for generating public addresses as other alt coins and bitcoin. For example, Teracoin and Bitcoin addresses are 100% compatible. There have been several cases of people sending bitcoins to an address in a Teracoin wallet at BTC-e. They were actually sending to a Bitcoin address because the two systems are completely separate, but you can imagine the confusion it caused.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: