Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:02:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Forex traders: why did you come to cryptos?  (Read 1337 times)
David Latapie (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 10:59:58 PM

Hi,

I read several times (on altcoin boards) someone mentionning his/her experience on Forex. My question is: why are you on cryptos?
- mere curiosity (the person I read seemed to be heavily on cryptos, though)
- still on forex, just diversifying
- forex is too hard
- forex is too simple (!)
- forex requires much larger amounts of money

So you tell me. I instinctively think that forex is better than major crypto (LTC, BTC) itself better than minor crypto (cryptsy and mintpal) themselves better than the LTC market (or, god forbids, the DOGE market). But I might be wrong.

Care to enlighten me?

Thank you

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:04:03 PM

you can't trade both directions on cryptsy like you can on forex. 
altcoins have greater spreads, more pump and dump action
vs reliable price action.

but easiest money appears to be just buy and hold bitcoin.

David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:06:52 PM

Or invest in just-dice (investing, not gambling) Smiley
If I understand correctly, altcoins is more risky than forex?

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:08:22 PM

for me it was

fee's
lack of community
the whole bank transfer polava
lack of volitility meaning only small profits, but requiring large sums just to get to see small profits
the fact that you are miliseconds-minutes behind the market makers, meaning your not abl to trade the changes the milisecond they happen.

yet with bitcoin. its easy, cheaper and faster to play the spread. using smaller lump sums to gain profits allows for use of many lumps to take advantage of other movements you could have missed with the first lump sum.

id never go back to forex, thats for sure.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:16:07 PM

Or invest in just-dice (investing, not gambling) Smiley
If I understand correctly, altcoins is more risky than forex?

I think so.  Look at all the altcoin charts.  With the exception of a few (litecoin), its all pump and dump.
Unless you can short altcoins, you'd be trying to trade countertrend.

David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:18:40 PM

for me it was

fee's
lack of community
the whole bank transfer polava
lack of volitility meaning only small profits, but requiring large sums just to get to see small profits
the fact that you are miliseconds-minutes behind the market makers, meaning your not abl to trade the changes the milisecond they happen.

yet with bitcoin. its easy, cheaper and faster to play the spread. using smaller lump sums to gain profits allows for use of many lumps to take advantage of other movements you could have missed with the first lump sum.

id never go back to forex, thats for sure.
Thanks. Yeah, feeling lonely behind my screen is not something I enjoy. Plus the need to spen a lot of money (I don't have more than some hundreds of euros). Please define "polava".

I am planning to trade on kraken, for the simple reason kraken has trailing stop, which no other exchange has. I don't know wich pair I will trade, though. Is XBT/EUR more dangerous than they, FLT/BTC on altcoins?

David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:21:21 PM

Is "shorting" the same as "whales manipulating the market" (altcoin parlance)?

Dr.Zaius

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:23:08 PM

Cryptos are 10 times easier to manipulate from their piss poor liquidity. Forex is dominated by large hedge funds, central banks etc. Crypto traders tend to be novice basement dwellers who panic at the first sight of any whale.
David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:24:28 PM

Cryptos are 10 times easier to manipulate from their piss poor liquidity. Forex is dominated by large hedge funds, central banks etc. Crypto traders tend to be novice basement dwellers who panic at the first sight of any whale.
True Smiley

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:24:46 PM

Is "shorting" the same as "whales manipulating the market" (altcoin parlance)?

i'm not familiar with all the places you can trade pairs like forex.  i just know on cryptsy, you can't sell hobonickles or barbacue coins unless you buy some first.  If you could trade BBQ/BTC as a "pair" like in forex, you could "short" (sell) bbq coins without buying any.

David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:27:06 PM

i'm not familiar with all the places you can trade pairs like forex.  i just know on cryptsy, you can't sell hobonickles or barbacue coins unless you buy some first.
Check kraken.com (major cryptos) and swaphole.com (minor cryptos).

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:27:47 PM

i'm not familiar with all the places you can trade pairs like forex.  i just know on cryptsy, you can't sell hobonickles or barbacue coins unless you buy some first.
Check kraken.com (major cryptos) and swaphole.com (minor cryptos).

If you can, then just short all the shitcoins.  sounds like easy money.

minerpart

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

IIIIII====II====IIIIII

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:27:50 PM

What do you mean by 'better'?

They are not so different I wouldn't think, price goes up or down,  except with BTC  there is only supposed to be a one way major trend created by exponential take up. It should behave more like a small cap  rather than a currency.  Forex pa is cyclical. Forex pa is also more predictable due to the study of historical charts being available and also everyone agrees on what news should move a pair. 
Allegedly 95% of retail forex traders wipe out their account and if most BTC holders hold, the success rate will be much higher. 

bwmedia

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:28:22 PM

Lol trading coins when you dont know whales moves is kinda crazy Smiley
David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:37:12 PM

Lol trading coins when you dont know whales moves is kinda crazy Smiley

That's why I am more and more considering this:
- Get closure for my lost money (Mt.Gox plus altcoin trading)
- Convert a monthly fixed part of my paycheck in BTC (as long as the BTC is undervalued)
- Invest said BTC into just-dice.com
- Convert back 10% of my remaining amount of BTC everytime it doubles (10/200 rule)

David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:38:16 PM

What does shorting means?

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:38:58 PM

it means speculating that will they decrease in value.

David Latapie (OP)

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:40:58 PM

So you wait for a crypto to lose value, you massively buy them all because you have a lot of money, this increases the price and then you you sell all of them massively, is that it?

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 11:46:09 PM

So you wait for a crypto to lose value, you massively buy them all because you have a lot of money, this increases the price and then you you sell all of them massively, is that it?

No, you SELL them without owning them  (if any exchange allows that.)  You can do this in forex.

Beaverslayer

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 02:44:55 AM

No, you SELL them without owning them  (if any exchange allows that.)  You can do this in forex.

So basically what you mean by that, is you sell them at a set price of say $0.10 hoping that you can buy them before a preset time at $0.07 ? Is this what shorting is?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: