Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:56:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Private Automatic Miner Backbone Protocol (PAMBA)  (Read 794 times)
Sergio_Demian_Lerner (OP)
expert

Activity: 554
Merit: 632

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2014, 11:32:42 PM

Hello everyone!

The need for direct connection between the main miner pools or solo-miners (which is often called the miner backbone), was discussed several times in the forums.  A miner backbone provides not only benefits to the network as a whole, but benefits for those miners that establish such connections. A backbone decreases the chances of blocks being orphaned, so miners also have a strong incentive to have direct connections between them and announce a solved block as soon as possible.

I tried to create a protocol to allow the top miners to establish such a backbone automatically, without allowing the rest of the nodes to discover the top miners IP addresses.

The full idea is on my post here: http://bitslog.wordpress.com/2014/04/19/the-private-automatic-miner-backbone-protocol-pamba/

Best regards,
 Sergio.
Pizzaworld

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 12:01:08 AM

Sounds like a pool Cheesy
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8421

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 10:48:13 PM

We'd proposed something like this in P2Pool a while back— at least the basics of it: announcing key in share and doing threshold cryptography so that larger p2pool miners could automatically peer with similarly sized miners—  there are some obvious shortcomings that come up like even if you assume a large miner will keep the data secret out of self-interest they may not be a large miner forever: once a large miner is no longer a large miner they don't have as much reason to keep the data a secret.

You could constantly re-share new introduction keys to end leaking, but knowing the miners address alone is enough to DOS attack it.  This kind of approach also doesn't address the issue large miners often suspect other large miners of being a perpetrating attacker, e.g. delegating your peering to a hopefully neutral third party can make business sense. I guess you do accommodate that by virtue of the miners being able to choose the addresses they share, allowing them to instead delegate a third party at that point.

I guess these reasons along with a lack of visible attacks on P2Pool, the ease of the manual peering method, and the complexity of implementing something like this is why it hasn't been done so far... but its good to see someone thinking out more of the details.
Sergio_Demian_Lerner (OP)
expert

Activity: 554
Merit: 632

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 02:50:17 PM

We'd proposed something like this in P2Pool a while back— at least the basics of it: announcing key in share and doing threshold cryptography so that larger p2pool miners could automatically peer with similarly sized miners—  there are some obvious shortcomings that come up like even if you assume a large miner will keep the data secret out of self-interest they may not be a large miner forever: once a large miner is no longer a large miner they don't have as much reason to keep the data a secret.

You could constantly re-share new introduction keys to end leaking, but knowing the miners address alone is enough to DOS attack it.  This kind of approach also doesn't address the issue large miners often suspect other large miners of being a perpetrating attacker, e.g. delegating your peering to a hopefully neutral third party can make business sense. I guess you do accommodate that by virtue of the miners being able to choose the addresses they share, allowing them to instead delegate a third party at that point.

As you said, if the protocol is automatic, the addresses (or a secret random key required to establish the connection) can be renegotiated once a day or once a week, to prevent abuse after the hashing power distribution changes. Also if you give a different IP address (or a secret key) to each of your competitors, you can monitor any DoS attempt and prove who is behind it. And this is evidence that you can take to a court.

I guess these reasons along with a lack of visible attacks on P2Pool, the ease of the manual peering method, and the complexity of implementing something like this is why it hasn't been done so far... but its good to see someone thinking out more of the details.

Threshold cryptography would probably solve the problem better, but probably requires a more difficult setup phase and a more complicated implementation.
1% ownership commitments can solve the problem practically and requires no complex crypto to prove correct.

I agree that today there may be no need for an automatic backbone. But currently we have a miner with 32% of the hashing power that does not show a visible identification, which prevents anyone from contacting it directly. If there is a single secret miner, then this miner can still connect to all non-secret ones. The real problem would be if there were two secret miners.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: